Dash cam "rings" 3 times and then....

Oh my gosh, Joel,, you have no idea how much we appreciate your taking the time to spell this all out for us! I'm going to copy/paste your entire message into an email to John so he can read it and go from there.

I think he most likely will try to benefit from your situation by going with the SAMSUNG PRO PLUS 64 GB. The price is great too! I promise you that I'll return here AFTER this weekend with an update, but this weekend we are supposed to have some snow. Don't know how much driving we will be doing, so it may be another week before you here from me again...do not take that the wrong way, please! :)

We are both anxious to replace this weird-o card and we could easily get a new, SPP64-GB card from E-Bay....we use them every week anyway!
WILL BE BACK AS SOON AS I HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE!

Thanks again, Joel...you're a rock star! :)

Linda V in NC
1/20/16 3:15pm

Although your card may be fake... I doubt it's only got 2meg on it... What you are seeing is what is left free on the card. Seems to me your card isn't looping the video and as there isn't enough enough memory left to open a new mov the cam is locking up. Please just put the card into your PC and exfat format it... Then click on properties to see how much memory it states... Bet you its way more than 2meg! If all looks well put it back in cam but don't use the cam format as it doesn't like many cards over 32gig.

BestBuy would be in a heap of trouble if it was selling fake cards. So I highly doubt any of their products are fake. We always tell our customers to get the Samsung Pro Plus from BestBuy, simply because: A. They have a great return policy and B. They can price match Amazon's price, which many people don't seem to utilize that much.

BestBuy would be in a heap of trouble if it was selling fake cards. So I highly doubt any of their products are fake. ...
Well it is easy to check - test the card and post the results...

If it passes then we need to consider other possible causes of the problem...

That, my man, is exactly why I choose that as a handle years ago! I'm 70 yrs young and JC was amazing back in the day - I still enjoy the heck out of his songs even now!
It came out when I was young, wild, crazy, single and living large in Atlanta in my 20's....lol! You can imagine the rest. :)

Now it's a different story regarding my taste in music. I listen to hours on end of Pandora "Smooth jazz" but then switch over to classic rock, southern rock, and my latest passions are ALBANNACH and listening to the variety of music on Armik Radio (got 4 of his CD's too)....also love symphonic & orchestra music as well. Guess I'm the poster girl (old lady) for eclectic taste! My other faves in the '70's were The Who, Guess Who, Golden Earring, Led of course, Almond Bros., Chicago, Jethro Tull, and the list goes on. Guess you know where my head was back then now....lol!

If you haven't heard anything by Albannach, check it out on You Tube but be sure and open up the songs on BARE KNUCKLES CD and go from there. We heard them live at the NC Hot Air Baloon Fest a few months ago...that did it for me! Scotland's #1 drum & bagpipe band and trust me...you've NEVER heard pipes like this before!

Well...gotta go now....peace out!

unlikely to be a fake card bought from Best Buy, more likely it's a card the camera doesn't like and when you get to the end and its full its not recycling, hence the small free space

did you at any time format the card in the camera?

Well it is easy to check - test the card and post the results...

If it passes then we need to consider other possible causes of the problem...

Nigel...thanks again, but John's going to opt for a new one from Ebay - Samsung Pro Plus 64 gigabytes....it's in one of the other postings.
He won't want to download a program and then find out it's got a virus or worse! Will be posting the final results asap!

unlikely to be a fake card bought from Best Buy, more likely it's a card the camera doesn't like and when you get to the end and its full its not recycling, hence the small free space did you at any time format the card in the camera?

Hmm....didn't think about that, Jokiin! I'll run that by John.....he's got to be the one who is responsible for it. He's super pc-savy but this is a new trick for both of us!
Let me run that by him and get back to you tomorrow please....that sounds more like it to me actually. Thanks, Jokiin!

Hmm....didn't think about that, Jokiin! I'll run that by John.....he's got to be the one who is responsible for it. He's super pc-savy but this is a new trick for both of us!
Let me run that by him and get back to you tomorrow please....that sounds more like it to me actually. Thanks, Jokiin!

start by formatting the card in the camera, there will be a menu option to do that

start by formatting the card in the camera, there will be a menu option to do that

Okay....I'll tell him to do that as soon as he gets home tonight....much appreciated....:)

no problem, what was the make and model of the card you've been using?

Sandisk (we have to insert it into the adapter as it's so small you could lose it in a nano-second!

Sandisk (we have to insert it into the adapter as it's so small you could lose it in a nano-second!

Sandisk are great cards but generally not recommended for most dashcams, some cameras do like to eat them

Probably not your issue anyway but just mentioning it so if you do go and buy another look to a different brand

Format the card in camera is the first thing you should do, if you happen to use a Mac it is also wise to format the card in the camera if you've been accessing the card from computer, if you're a Windows user that's no issue

You said in your first post that you'd used it nearly 4 week allowing it to fill so you could DL the footage... And it worked perfectly... This suggests the card is real. A fake 8gig card would have filled on your first trip out. I've got 5 of these and from my experience no matter the brand of card.
A. 128gig cards work better if formatted outside the cam.
B. Formatting the card every month seems to keep the card healthy. ( lost 3 corrupted cards mainly in 0805's )
C. Changing card slots if you use 1 card can solve the looping problem. Some cams report A as B and visa versa.
D. If the card fills and then errors with 3 beeps it means that the cam is unable to write a new MOV file due to the card being full. This is either because the old files are locked and can't be deleted or there's a problem with erasing and looping on that particular card.
I have a 0806 that will not loop no matter what settings or cards. My only option using this cam is using 2 large cards and wait for the 3 beeps then format the cards and start again.

I would first check whether the cam is locking the files then format the card and try again if it fails when full use your new pro card in B and this card in A ( unless you have the latest 2016 firmware )

Back