Dash cam showing speed of other vehicles

Electriccarman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, bit of a dash cam newbie but this looks like the place in the know, a while ago I watch some dash cam footage showing the speed of the other vehicles in view and I think the distance from them, I am looking to buy a decent cam and thought this was a good feature but have no idea what make it was, any help would be much appreciated.
Really looking for good quality front and rear camera setup.

It only seems to be some models made for commercial vehicles that do that, none of the normal consumer dashcams do.
It is not a very useful feature really, although it does look clever! It does it by analysing the video content with AI algorithms, so the results can not be considered as evidence, even if they are reasonably accurate.

Thanks for the reply, perhaps I just need to be looking for something high quality and less features then

Thanks for the reply, perhaps I just need to be looking for something high quality and less features then

You may not necessarily need fewer features but rather different ones. Many dash cams today are available with GPS capabilities which will provide you with the speed and coordinates of your own vehicle which is more of what you might want to concern yourself with. Of course, any such camera will include other useful features as well.

Your primary concern should be video and audio quality along with reliability.

Yeah I haven’t seen any consumer ready cameras that do this. I have seen some fixed speed cameras and read over their patents on how they do it, but either way that would be much more challenging to do from a moving vehicle without supplementing with radar or some other speed tracking method.

Showing the speed of other objects.. while moving yourself seems like quite a challenge.

Showing the speed of other objects.. while moving yourself seems like quite a challenge.
I'm sure they calculate the speed of the other objects relative to the camera, by tracking them moving across the image, and assuming a flat road surface, and then just add on the camera's GPS speed. Tracking of objects is fairly easy to do with current dashcam processors, so I'm a bit surprised that some consumer cameras don't already have this, along with the lane monitoring and collision avoidance features that some have - those features are already tracking the other vehicles. I suspect the problem is only that we don't currently have a proper GPU for overlaying the graphics onto 4K 60fps video and are still limited to a very simple text overlay. A proper GPU would add cost and heat, the commercial dashcams that do this tend to be very low resolution, so much easier to implement.

Not sure I want the speeds of all the vehicles shown on my recorded videos anyway, the extra text and graphics might hide something important. It would be OK to show them on the LCD screen, but I can't use the LCD screen while driving, so that seems pointless!

The notion that dash cams could somehow easily monitor the speed of multiple other vehicles because they allegedly have the processing power to do so because some already have lane monitoring and collision avoidance features seems preposterous to me. I would label it as wishful, magical thinking.

The fact is @Nigel, that virtually everyone on DCT who has ever tested a LDWS/CAS enabled dash camera has reported turning off the feature because of how poorly the feature works and how annoying it can be. Do you really believe that adding another sophisticated capability to a poorly function existing feature would help these cameras perform any better?

Today's dash cameras are already pushing the limits of available processing power and memory. There is a good reason we are not seeing LDWS/CAS in many new cameras being introduced to the marketplace. The last thing we need are even more superfluous bells & whistles.

I would much prefer to see any additional processing power, memory and the added costs involved go towards increased imaging performance.

I'm sure they calculate the speed of the other objects relative to the camera, by tracking them moving across the image,<snip>
Consider how many moving objects, relative to your moving dashcam the system would have to monitor. Multi lane vehicles coming towards you.. vehicles in front of you, Take computer power that is just not available in a dash cam.

I didn't want to comment initially, but since the original poster didn't mention why he wanted such feature; I'll assume to prove other cars were traveling at a higher speed than him.

You don't need your dashcam to monitor such thing, you just need to monitor your own speed. I believe all GPS equipped cameras have the option to show your current speed in the footage and even if you don't show it; it will be stored in the video's meta data.
So when the time comes and you need to prove and show your speed; you can. And any car passing you faster would obviously show they are traveling at a higher speed.

No dash cam will detect incoming traffic speed. You need dedicated system and probably much bigger devices and very expensive.

I would much prefer to see any additional processing power, memory and the added costs involved go towards increased imaging performance.
^ this, I would rather have the image as clear as possible and making solid apps instead of spending research money on such "features".

Back