New high-tech car theft device showing up in the US - [caught on DashCam]

Corona is only 20 miles north of me. Good on that guy to have had the dash cam running in his car to capture it, and the dash cam being one of the only things in the car to not get stolen. Although I have to say, that device (@ 0:55) looked more like a clunky video camera rather than a dash cam. :confused: Then again, his car was a Cadillac SUV - that tells thieves that the owner has money, and lots of it. They're probably a lot more likely to target high-end/luxury vehicles, just like with insurance scams.

Good thing I drive my "poor man's" 2011 Mazda2 :p

Last edited:
Uh oh......

The videos all show the perps walking past the front passenger side door lock. They only turn to the car when the door lock "chunks" -- otherwise, I guess they continue on to try the next car.

So the problem seems to be with the secondary unlock mechanism. Most remotes are set to unlock the driver's door first, then the passenger doors after a second signal is sent. Apparently this box is capable of sending the second signal. There should be a massive recall fix for this shortly.

I always knew I needed a classic 1967 GTO. This solidifies it

Saw something similar a year or two back with the introduction of the wristwatch TV remote.
As a universal remote, it had the ability to 'learn' a code as long as it was in line of sight of the original when buttons were pressed.
Thieves would target a car on a lot/outside a showroom. they ask for a test drive & would programme the watch when they had the key in hand. I guess things moved on when they found they could also programme the watch by standing near to the car/owner as the remote was pressed.
One assumes this object works in a similar way - by picking up (and recording) the frequency transmitted by the keyfob?

Saw something similar a year or two back with the introduction of the wristwatch TV remote.
As a universal remote, it had the ability to 'learn' a code as long as it was in line of sight of the original when buttons were pressed.
Thieves would target a car on a lot/outside a showroom. they ask for a test drive & would programme the watch when they had the key in hand. I guess things moved on when they found they could also programme the watch by standing near to the car/owner as the remote was pressed.
One assumes this object works in a similar way - by picking up (and recording) the frequency transmitted by the keyfob?

Remote Controls for TV's use a single frequency IR (Infrared Light) This is easily captured and repeated. (short distance, and only works via line of site, not through walls etc)

Old school remotes for garage doors used a single RF frequency you could easily clone.

Modern Garage Door openers and Key FOBs use a rotating digital frequency in a very complex non-repeating pattern. You would have to be a math genius and or know some RF tricks to get it right. (which someone obviously did with the hack I posted here)

I'm sure the auto industry will figure out a way to counter the hack, hopefully a mass recall will be in effect at some point.

Last edited:
Both videos were a very interesting watch. Unfortunately it reinforces the old saying to the effect of If someone wants to get in bad enough to take something it will be taken.

Both videos were a very interesting watch. Unfortunately it reinforces the old saying to the effect of If someone wants to get in bad enough to take something it will be taken.

I forgot about that quote, pretty much sums things up yes.

"Locks are for honest men/people”
is an old proverb in security departments. Burglars ("dishonest people") can break locks; the locks give the impression of security to keep honest people honest.

I wonder if it might be possible that they found a way to introduce a false disarm/unlock signal on the CAN bus rather than actually having cracked the rolling codes? Poor shielding, strong RF, kind of like reaching around a door and turning the knob instead of actually picking the lock. It could explain the close proximity they appear to need in order to unlock the doors. If it were simply a code breaker, they could easily send the signal from a lot farther away and in the clip where the two thieves open cars side by side, one device should've opened both cars. Also could the car manufacturers have incorporated some sort of short range wireless OBD that the thieves have somehow compromised?

"seatec astronomy"

KuoH

Modern Garage Door openers and Key FOBs use a rotating digital frequency in a very complex non-repeating pattern. You would have to be a math genius and or know some RF tricks to get it right. (which someone obviously did with the hack I posted here)

Back