Dash Cam with pre record function

paulrotc

Reaction score
Is their a decent dash cam that includes a pre record function? I don't like running mine all the time while driving, so when I need it, I will hit the record button to start a file. I have been searching for a dash cam that has the pre record function where when you press the record button, it starts recording but it also includes a few seconds prior to hitting the button.

Does anyone know if one exists that has good day and night quality?

it would have to be constantly recording and buffering for it to have information from before you press a button

you can probably configure some camera to only SAVE the file when you press the button, but as jokiin said, the camera will have to be on and running.

most , if not all, the dash camera will save 30 sec or so before and after you press the button.

You could use a very small SD card, maybe 1-2GB, and let it loop continuously. The recording could be manually stopped if desired and would only contain a few minutes of actual recording, unlike the hours of video that could be on a 32GB card.

paulrotc said:
Is their a decent dash cam that includes a pre record function? I don't like running mine all the time while driving, so when I need it, I will hit the record button to start a file. I have been searching for a dash cam that has the pre record function where when you press the record button, it starts recording but it also includes a few seconds prior to hitting the button.

Does anyone know if one exists that has good day and night quality?

That like wanting a light to come on 20sec before you turn the power on.

By the time you hit the button and the camera fires up it will be tomorrow.

That's kind of the usecase of a dashcam to begin with. Most people rarely look at the footage they recorded unless something happened. It records continously and if nothing happens it records over itself after a while. ;)
It's better because it distracts less than to have to constantly think about and reach for your dashcam if something happens while you drive. And if it's a serious accident, you might be too stunned.

Back