Dash camera charger reviews.

Big difference between charging a cell phone (that might support rapid charging) and supplying 5v to power a dash cam. Any cheap "usb charger" that can supply 2A will be more than adequate for your dash cam IMO.

Last edited:
Big difference between charging a cell phone (that might support rapid charging) and supplying 5v to power a dash cam. Any cheap "usb charger" will be more than adequate for your dash cam IMO.

power supply and memory card are the two most common causes of problems with dashcams, a lot of the cheap USB chargers are not good for dashcams and will lead to erratic behavior and can damage the cameras

2A and you are good to go. No need for IQ charging for any dash cam.

IMO the biggest source of problems with dash cams arises from folks using cigarette lighter USB adapters. I've seen many cars where the adapters don't fit tightly and this causes intermittent connection problems.

Best to avoid these adapters all together and hard-wire your camera using a proper 2A+ regulator.

Last edited:

of course no need for fast charger etc but a great deal of these 2.1amp chargers in the market are nothing like that, don't get fooled into thinking that nice looking products = better quality inside, a lot of the cheap ones are rubbish, add to that getting a decent length USB cable that's good quality is another challenge

Dont know about usb car chargers,used one that came with dashcam,I tried my Yi dashcam, WR 1, A119S and all of them worked with house usb charger for my Cubot Max phone.
e1a6d93aab8e076fa65534f72328f344.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mac
Where's the specs? One does not have a good and accurate test the way wirecutter did it. One needs a stable metered power supply, an adjustable metered load, and the recording and tabling of the discovered data to make comparisons with. TBH, this is just someone else's opinion without that data :(

Although not a lot on car chargers and much is on older models and EU specific home chargers, see how this guy does tests:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexUSB UK.html

Now that is how testing should be done :D

Phil

@SawMaster Thanks for the link. I agree that there's no substitute for objective testing.

Where's the specs? One does not have a good and accurate test the way wirecutter did it. One needs a stable metered power supply, an adjustable metered load, and the recording and tabling of the discovered data to make comparisons with. TBH, this is just someone else's opinion without that data :(

Although not a lot on car chargers and much is on older models and EU specific home chargers, see how this guy does tests:

Phil
Great information @SawMaster :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil

I really liked the link you provided, I gave my Anker home charger to my Son, so I am intending to get me another one (Son will still probably get it) I will use the link information to determine a good one for getting. If you run across anything like it for car chargers I would really appreciate the information link :cool:.

IMO the biggest source of problems with dash cams arises from folks using cigarette lighter USB adapters. I've seen many cars where the adapters don't fit tightly and this causes intermittent connection problems.

Best to avoid these adapters all together and hard-wire your camera using a proper 2A+ regulator.

I believe it was sawmaster that posted once about a fix for the car chargers with sockets that were somewhat loose on holding bullet style USB car chargers. Put the charger in the socket then wrap electrical tape around the socket tightly, this will add a bit more compression to the socket/charger and eliminate/make better the hold on the charger.
However some charger receptacles like a car cigar/cigarette that came with your vehicle would make doing this practically impossible, that is if I described it correctly the way I remember him telling it.

Back