Dash Cams and the iPad

...I purchased the apple lightning card reader would I be able to transfer and watch the footage on my iPad in Mov...

Instead of paying £25 for the Apple device, £45 gets you a 7" Lenovo A7 Tablet...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171555815062
I bought one & mine is indistinguishable from brand new. 12 month Warranty. Stuff the card in the slot & use MX Player to view the clips. BTW, I also have an iPad.

Do you no if it plays Mov video files Russ

Yes it does. Smoothly. My SGZC12RC & Mobius cams all use the .MOV format.

Another thing you could do is download Nokia HERE to the tablet. Now you've got a decent SatNav with a 7" screen...

Yes it does. Smoothly. My SGZC12RC & Mobius cams all use the .MOV format.

Another thing you could do is download Nokia HERE to the tablet. Now you've got a decent SatNav with a 7" screen...
Cheers Russ,I'll give it ago but not tell the Missis ..lol

If she says anything, just enquire as to how much she spent on clothes, cosmetics, handbags & shoes in the past month or so :D
Already got that speech ready to throw back at her ,and she's off to Venice this afternoon with her mother

If you have time to test the SG9665GC, please let us know.

I'm disappointed to report that the Apple Lightning to USB camera Adapter does NOT work with the SG9665GC for transferring video to an iPad. It works fine with all my Mobius cameras as well as a G1W-H and others.
I will explore this further when I get some time.

I had a little time to do some further testing and I can now confirm that the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter works perfectly with the mini 0806 for transferring video files to the iPad.

Last edited:
Must have something to do with the folder structure

Yes, apparently. I'm still trying to analyze this.

Jumping the gun a little, I am wondering whether this is something that could be simple and remedied in the firmware. In other words, the question for me is whether the folder names, which are different on the SG are related to the hardware or whether a programmer decided on the folder names.

I asked more about it, we'd have to completely rebuild the firmware from source to change the structure, huge task. But yes, it's the kind of thing you need to decide you want to do before you even start on the product. It's now on the wish list for our new 2016 products in the works. (exciting things will be happening)

The Kingston Wireless card readers will be the way to go for now.
http://www.kingston.com/us/wireless/wireless_readers

Here's a good one! Just for fun I decided to try using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to see if I could import .AVI video files from my old DR32 to the iPad. Piece of Cake! It works!! The remarkable thing is that the iPad does not natively support .AVI but it brings them right into the Photos/Video App with no problem and designates them as .AVI on import. I need to spend some time figuring out how to work with them now but I believe I can import them into VLC on my iPad and play them.

The SG9665GC is not winning this competition. :(

Last edited:
Here's a good one! Just for fun I decided to try using the Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter to see if I could import .AVI video files from my old DR32 to the iPad. Piece of Cake! It works!! The remarkable thing is that the iPad does not natively support .AVI but it brings them right into the Photos/Video with no problem and designates them as .AVI on import. I need to spend some time figuring out how to work with them now but I believe I can import them into VLC on my iPad and play them.

The SG9665GC is not winning this competition. :(

Yup, sorry about that. (see my last post)

I have been reluctant to go out and buy a dashmat but more than any other dash cam I've owned the SG9665GC seems to need one. The thing is it feels like an additional 40 plus dollar expense attached to the cost of this one camera. Since I already have a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, a Kingston Wireless card reader would be yet another sizable expense related specifically to the SG9665GC. I'm not necessarily trying to single out the SG here. I'm really trying to say that large extraneous expenses that a camera buyer might have to incur for basic usability should be a consideration going forward. The ability to easily transfer files to something as popular and commonplace as an iPad should definitely be a Street Guardian goal in the future.

Back