Dashboard Glare

Gary Edstrom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is sort of a side-topic on getting the best videos out of your dash-cam. I have a Honda CR-V with a black dashboard. I recently took it to a detail-er to do a complete job on the vehicle. I removed the camera before leaving it there. When I got it back, it looked like a brand new vehicle right off the showroom floor. All of the interior plastic had been polished with Armorall. That left the dashboard EXTREMELY shiny. When the sun hit it it from the right direction, it put quite a bit of glare in my videos. I got some Windex and some paper towels and wiped down the entire dashboard, buffing it off with a final dry paper towel. Now, the dashboard has a nice clean, but dull appearance that isn't generating ANYTHING like the glare I was getting before.

Glad your solution was that easy. This can be a huge issue at times.

One of my beefs with most clean-up shops is that they think everything is supposed to shine like chrome. Go look at a new car on the showroom floor- that is what cars are supposed to look like. The dash and tires aren't shiny and there are no swirl marks visible in the paintwork. YMMV but if I'm paying that is what I want to see, but most people are sold on shiny so very few shops do any better than that.

Phil

I hate shiny dashboards!!!
Enough danger (aka idiots) on the roads without having shiny reflective distractions inside the car as well! Rally and race cars have matt black flocked interiors for a reason...

Anyway, I use a product called Groom, had the same can for years. Best thing I've ever used for cleaning and renewing plastics. Spray on, leave to foam for 5 mins, then wipe off with a damp cloth, or a nail brush for those extra stubborn stains. No residue or dodgy smells, perfect.

Slim

Back