Dashboard Reflection

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I am seeing some reflection of the dashboard in my videos. I assume this is a common problem.
It was posted elsewhere that a dash cover would help - or get the CPL filter. https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/cpl-for-sg9665gc-circular-polarizing-lens.html

I would rather not use a dash cover. But before I spend money on a CPL filter, based on the photo below, do I need a CPL - what is the purpose the CPL filter (is it designed to just to remove reflections, or does it do more)?

Sample%20showing%20dashboard%20reflection_zpsexacsizu.jpg

what kind of reflection you get varies from car to car, a CPL filter does tame the reflection if you have a car that does have excessive reflection, things like the vents reflecting aren't really an issue as they're mostly obscured by the hood anyway but things like the grille in the middle of the picture there can be something that will get in the way of detail further afield so a CPL filter could be preferable for that reason

I'm going to order the CPL filter. It's cheap enough. Unfortunately Pier28 is out of stock for now.

I bought my SG9665GC from Amazon because the Pier28 site/store was out of stock - but I think it is the same person/store.
I'm not sure who "@Street Guardian USA" is. Is this the new name for "pier28", or are you two different retailers both selling the product in USA? Not that it matters, but I'd like to keep my purchases with the same vendor when possible.

Also, I searched on Amazon for "Street Guardian CPL Filter" and "SG9665GC Filter" and "SGGCCPL" and all searches came up with no match (other than the dash cam itself). Maybe this is because the filter is out of stock.

As soon as it is available I'll order it.
Thanks

I bought my SG9665GC from Amazon because the Pier28 site/store was out of stock - but I think it is the same person/store.
I'm not sure who "@Street Guardian USA" is. Is this the new name for "pier28", or are you two different retailers both selling the product in USA? Not that it matters, but I'd like to keep my purchases with the same vendor when possible.

Also, I searched on Amazon for "Street Guardian CPL Filter" and "SG9665GC Filter" and "SGGCCPL" and all searches came up with no match (other than the dash cam itself). Maybe this is because the filter is out of stock.

As soon as it is available I'll order it.
Thanks

Hi this is Jon, (previously using the handle @Pier28) more details here:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-com-and-street-guardian-on-amazon-com.21320/

I'll handle your prior/existing warranty needs as well

Amazon listing is offline until stock arrives

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining.
I have a "product alert notification" setup at the website to let me know when the CPL filter is back in stock, and I'll keep checking the Amazon store too.
Since I'm an Amazon Prime member I probably buy from there and get the free shipping - since both stores are the same vendor.

Amazon.com vendor will be "Street Guardian" (my new Amazon seller central account) I'm no longer with Pier28 directly.

UPDATE:
SGGCCPL's just arrived (1 day early) Amazon.com listing is now live once again and we are ready to ship today.
They will be shipped direct by me from Nevada until the stock we send to the Amazon.com warehouse arrives. (so no Prime listing for another week)

Last edited:
Speaking of SGGCCPL, @Street Guardian USA what is the temperature range? (knowing it is multiple layers of glass...)

The plastic used at shapesways 3D printer factory is high grade, and the CPL glass from Germany is excellent quality. There is no exact engineering technical heat specs on the CPL, but they have worked great for 100's of users all summer long.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A SG9665GC 9
RedSeal SG9665GC 19
Back