Dashcam cable installation under Airbag

mohannad02

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
I have installed the cable that's going to the rear camera like shown in the video and picture. I just want make sure if there is any risk since the airbag can blowing the cable can be harmful when the accident happens.

Thanks,

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 9.36.10 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-13 at 9.36.10 AM.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7
Bit difficult for anyone to say that there is no risk since clearly the cable could affect the deployment of the airbag, it really needs testing to be sure :unsure:

I would be very surprised if it caused any issue though, the airbag is going to remove that trim with far more force than is needed to overcome the wire jamming it slightly. Also remember that if the airbag does deploy then the risk of injury from airbags is quite high, their purpose is to prevent serious injuries even if they do that by causing minor injuries in situations where there wouldn't have been any if they hadn't deployed. Your main aim should be to never use the airbags!

Ideally you would remove those panels and install the cables safely underneath, but I think most people do as you have done.

Make sure the wire never crosses over the air bag, otherwise, the airbag will launch that cable at you in an accident.
You may get away with running the cable in front side airbag, but you still run the risk of the cable being launched at you in an accident. If at all possible, run the wire behind the airbag, or run the wire under the floor carpet. Find where factory installed wires are run, and run your wire the same way.

Many thanks. I believe the dangerous will be in the A pillar since the cable is over the airbag. However, I want to change the route to be as in the picture. The cable will be visible, but I think is better from taking the risk or taking out the A pillar as fixing bit tricky. What do you think ? Any issues might happen?

Attachments

• IMG_20230815_082139.jpg
    IMG_20230815_082139.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 15
Back