Dashcam for Gloomy Weather?

DigitalSpeed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I live in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, WA). It doesn't get all too hot or cold here (mid 50s - low 80s fahrenheit weather on avg.).

One of the things is our days are pretty gloomy (cloudy, gray, and sometimes rain). Or it rains and the road is really bright when the sun hits it. I was wondering what's a good dashcam to get off of Amazon that is good for these conditions? My budget is $50 - $150.

I'm having a problem when I'm looking at dashcams to know which one is a good, trustable one. I see like 5 types of the same dashcam on Amazon. For example, there's the Black Box version of the B40-C, an Auto-VOX version, etc.

One of the things is once it gets to about fall-winter time, it gets dark progressively early (i.e. 4pm will be dark as night).

The features most important to me are:
  • Good video quality in gloomy weather / shiny roads after rain (ability to see street signs, and license plates).
  • GPS / G-Sensor / Speed
  • Something easy to remove, and hook back in (live in a city, and have had my car broken into... would like to have my car not broken into).
Thanks!

--

I plan to connect this to a 13,000 mAh portable Anker battery pack to make it pretty easy to port around without fiddling with lots of wires.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to forum !
I think B40, A118 or Autovox etc version are good choice as your first dashcam within this budget to start exploring a dashcam world. Most important buy from local Amazon seller with good reputation and or fulfilled by Amazon.

Thanks guys! No problemos, I was reading an article the other day on an increasing trend that Seattle drivers are becoming worse, and worse.

I wanted to get a dashcam just in case of such an accident; or me, witnessing another person get into an accident. It would be nice if our weather wasn't so gloomy and more sunny. I wasn't all too sure what dashcam has a good sensor/lens to deal with gloomy and dark weather that fits within the budget... I read not to trust Amazon reviews through here. So I wasn't all too sure what is a trustable brand to buy from.

Thanks guys! No problemos, I was reading an article the other day on an increasing trend that Seattle drivers are becoming worse, and worse.

I wanted to get a dashcam just in case of such an accident; or me, witnessing another person get into an accident. It would be nice if our weather wasn't so gloomy and more sunny. I wasn't all too sure what dashcam has a good sensor/lens to deal with gloomy and dark weather that fits within the budget... I read not to trust Amazon reviews through here. So I wasn't all too sure what is a trustable brand to buy from.

At day time this dashcam will do a good job, but in gloomy and dark weather you need a better CMOS sensor. Probably a dashcam with OV4689 or Sony Exmor sensors. OV4689 you can find quite few within your budget, but usually their form-factor is bulky ( magnet for thieves ) and poor manufacturer support. The only good form-factor ( in my opinion ) is Mini 0806, however there has been different reports about different batches, so you better read Mini 0806 related thread.

One of the things is our days are pretty gloomy (cloudy, gray, and sometimes rain). Or it rains and the road is really bright when the sun hits it. I was wondering what's a good dashcam to get off of Amazon that is good for these conditions? My budget is $50 - $150.
niko just suggested the mini 0806 for it's form factor, the main thing I like about it is it's ability to see both bright and dark areas at the same time, it is one of the best at that in UK weather. I wouldn't recommend Amazon as the place to buy it though and if you do then make sure it is easy to return if you are unlucky to get one with a poor battery, not supplied direct from China.

Back