Dashcam for Bicycle?

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
Can anyone recommend a camera for use as a bicycle dashcam when commuting to work? I don't want to stick a go-pro on my helmet.

Front and rear coverage preferred - can be two separate cameras.

Ideally with fittings in the box or a dedicated accessory available for mounting on a handlebar so I don't have to DIY something. Rear camera can be mounted on a flat, horizontal metal plate on the pannier rack.

Quick-release because I don't want to leave the cameras out on display when the bike is parked up at the office.

Should I look for good image stabilisation, or just regular video and a sturdy mount?

I would be inclined to say a motorcycle cam with a power bank for power, but they are not quick release, to do that you almost need internal batteries and so action camera of some sort.
But small ones like mobious ASO do not have that much recording time on a charge.

Can anyone recommend a camera for use as a bicycle dashcam when commuting to work? I don't want to stick a go-pro on my helmet.

Front and rear coverage preferred - can be two separate cameras.

Ideally with fittings in the box or a dedicated accessory available for mounting on a handlebar so I don't have to DIY something. Rear camera can be mounted on a flat, horizontal metal plate on the pannier rack.

Quick-release because I don't want to leave the cameras out on display when the bike is parked up at the office.

Should I look for good image stabilisation, or just regular video and a sturdy mount?
Yo Tony,
Maybe send a PM to @BgDeal Dashcam
Maybe they have a “new” model available for test & review.
-Chuck

I'm still happy with my Viofo MT1, but it is not easily removable.

My experience is that a very solid mount, connected directly to the frame, will do better than an image stabilised action camera mounted GoPro style on the handlebars or pannier. Vibrations are fast enough to cause motion blur over the pixels in all but the brightest sunshine, which can't be corrected using image stabilisation, while a solid mount does not need image stabilisation. The handlebars do vibrate, so it is better to attach the mount to the frame, not the handlebars, also the frame always points forward, while the handlebars keep moving left and right as you correct your balance as you pedal.

If you are going to remove the camera every journey, then having a dual camera will cause issues with cables, you don't want to separate waterproof connectors in the rain, and waterproof connectors are normally quite fiddly to connect/disconnect.

So two separate cameras, don't worry too much about image stabilisation, for reading license plates you may want to turn EIS off anyway, but do worry about the mount for solidity and ease of mounting/removal.

Also consider field of view, most action cameras are significantly wider than normal dashcams, while bicycle/motorbike cameras tend to be narrower than dashcams, which does seem to be desirable, although not essential with 4K resolution.

The Innovv looks interesting but I don't think it is quick release. On the other hand, it is small and discreet and doesn't look like it could be stolen easily without the proper tools and a fair bit of work.

A cheap option with a long lasting battery and night vision is Boblov A22.

Yo Tony,
Maybe send a PM to @BgDeal Dashcam
Maybe they have a “new” model available for test & review.
-Chuck

Not interested in testing, thanks. Just want something that works out of the box.

A cheap option with a long lasting battery and night vision is Boblov A22.
Cheap yes, but I don't see any claims about being weatherproof. And that off-centre mount position must lead to a lot of vibration on a bike.

I would just not ride in the rain

Hmm. I'm not really excited by any of the off-the-shelf options. So I'm going back to what I know - I'll repurpose an old prototype camera. Just checking the dimensions of Garmin quick-release mount plates.

Last edited:
O ! A " Cyclist "

Did you " cycle " last week ?,,,,, NO ! CUZ it was raining.
Did you try to " Cycle " last week ?,,,,, YES ! But i am not Danish.

BT03 Pro 4K Bicycle Camera - remote operated camera and horn - bike light - available from Capture Your Action - $ 89.90 USD

Last edited:
My experience is that a very solid mount, connected directly to the frame, will do better than an image stabilised action camera mounted GoPro style on the handlebars or pannier. Vibrations are fast enough to cause motion blur over the pixels in all but the brightest sunshine, which can't be corrected using image stabilisation, while a solid mount does not need image stabilisation. The handlebars do vibrate, so it is better to attach the mount to the frame, not the handlebars, also the frame always points forward, while the handlebars keep moving left and right as you correct your balance as you pedal.
Any suggestions for mounting to the frame? Top tube?

Something like this might work, if it fits around the tube:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0784JNVCF
1710842715430.png

Any suggestions for mounting to the frame? Top tube?
Mine is on the head tube, but most modern bikes don't have any space there, so top tube would be fine, and that looks a decent clamp. Is it a road bike?

Before making a custom mount, I tested the positioning out using a collection of GoPro mount pieces and extensions linked together with a GoPro handlebar clamp clamped to the frame, (supplied with Git2 and other cameras), and they worked surprisingly well as long as they were clamped to the frame so didn't suffer from vibrations, the frame really doesn't vibrate like the rest of the bike even though you would expect it to. They have the advantage of being able to easily add right angles or 45° or whatever you want to get to a good position, and end up with a tripod mount adaptor if that is what you need. I don't know if that clamp will. let you see over the handlebars on your bike, or if you need some extensions, or maybe it is better to mount it below the top tube and look around the side. If you have brake cables then remember that they can move when you steer, and the handlebars probably will turn more than 90 degrees at times.

In your case, being easy to fit and remove is probably the main consideration, so try and keep it simple, might be worth looking at DSLR mounts, since they tend to be rather larger, so might do the job without needing extensions, while a GoPro style one would need several.

Something like this might work, if it fits around the tube:
Of course modern tubes are often a strange shape, normally being aluminium, mine are nice round steel tubes! The old bikes are best.

maybe it is better to mount it below the top tube and look around the side. If you have brake cables then remember that they can move when you steer, and the handlebars probably will turn more than 90 degrees at times.

I found a top tube side-on solution using a mount system designed for phones, bike computers etc. Thankfully my prototype camera is box-shaped - the sticky pad can go on at an angle so I can align the camera vertically. And I must say that sticky pad is really good.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B09KLXF73N https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B08TV1BMZZ
1711358393170.png

During testing I have a peak design mount plate connected to a wrist strap around the top tube for added security, but so far it has been extremely robust.

Last edited:
Looks a good design, maybe not the best build quality, but functionality and ease of use is what matters.

I might stick some sticky backed foam rubber, or maybe a 3M sticky pad between the mount and the frame, partly to make sure it stays in position and partly to protect the paintwork from wear marks. Alternatively you could wrap some handlebar tape around the frame for a couple of inches, might look right on a bicycle!

I mounted mine at about the same height but further forwards to get a clear view without brake cables, handlebars or wheels, but it will be worth sacrificing a perfect image for convenience and robustness.

Tethering it is a good idea, probably OK, but it is surprising what can escape. Less likely to escape mounted to the frame than elsewhere though.

Looks a good design, maybe not the best build quality, but functionality and ease of use is what matters.

I might stick some sticky backed foam rubber, or maybe a 3M sticky pad between the mount and the frame, partly to make sure it stays in position and partly to protect the paintwork from wear marks. Alternatively you could wrap some handlebar tape around the frame for a couple of inches, might look right on a bicycle!

I mounted mine at about the same height but further forwards to get a clear view without brake cables, handlebars or wheels, but it will be worth sacrificing a perfect image for convenience and robustness.

Tethering it is a good idea, probably OK, but it is surprising what can escape. Less likely to escape mounted to the frame than elsewhere though.
The mount is two-part, plastic with a rubber interface pad, so I'm not so worried about the paintwork. A small 3M pad might be worth it though to stop it from slipping.

Looking at the product info it looks like I could (should?) be using a pair of rubber bands wrapped over, rather than the single band I have now. I wondered why there were two in the box! Two bands adds some useful redundancy as well.

1711361516659.png

Yes, I get brake and gear cables in view, but I'm happy with that for the video stability. Sample coming soon.

I don't expect to run with a tether forever, but it wasn't difficult to add for some peace of mind.

Back