Dashcam Install. Hardwire Via Map Light (Honda CRV 5th gen)

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are tons of videos on hardwiring dashcams to the fusebox. But I noticed that FitCamX sells a dashcam for Honda CRVs that uses the power supply for the map light. As a result, you don’t have to hardwire to the fuse box. It's a neater and cleaner install. See here.

Has anyone had success doing the same installation with other dashcam brands?

Thanks for any helpful info!

There are tons of videos on hardwiring dashcams to the fusebox. But I noticed that FitCamX sells a dashcam for Honda CRVs that uses the power supply for the map light. As a result, you don’t have to hardwire to the fuse box. It's a neater and cleaner install. See here.

Has anyone had success doing the same installation with other dashcam brands?

Thanks for any helpful info!
I just installed my Blackvue 790X Plus in a similar fashion, there are BATT and ACC sources in the front overhead console, I used two Posi Taps and grounded to the screw the holds console in place. It took less then an hour to install front and rear cams and run all cables. Super easy

IMG_2925.jpeg

Forgot to add this is a 2023 RAM 3500 Limited

I just installed my Blackvue 790X Plus in a similar fashion, there are BATT and ACC sources in the front overhead console, I used two Posi Taps and grounded to the screw the holds console in place. It took less then an hour to install front and rear cams and run all cables. Super easy

Awesome! That's exactly the info that I needed. I wanted to know what additional equipment I needed. I guess I just need to get 2 Posi Taps from Home Depot?

I got all the gear to connect to the fuse box, but I guess I don't need it!

Thanks again for the info.

Awesome! That's exactly the info that I needed. I wanted to know what additional equipment I needed. I guess I just need to get 2 Posi Taps from Home Depot?

I got all the gear to connect to the fuse box, but I guess I don't need it!

Thanks again for the info.
Yeah it is so easy this way. I got the Posi Taps on Amazon, it came with three sizes (2 each). BTW, my install was on a 2023 RAM 3500.

IMG_0955.jpeg

Yeah it is so easy this way. I got the Posi Taps on Amazon, it came with three sizes (2 each). BTW, my install was on a 2023 RAM 3500.

I was really excited to do it your way, but an electrician recommended against it. He did admit that using the Posi-taps were a good choice though.

IggysCRV said:
Any accessories should be on their own circuit period. If something in that camera should fail or short out you may melt or fry factory wires requiring more work. I could have a camera installed cleanly in under an hour. It’s not hard to tuck wires above the front edge of the headliner to the A-Pillar pop the pillar cover off and run the new wires down the Pillar zip tied to the the other harness avoiding anything interfering with the side curtain and right down to the fuse box. Find a continuous hot and an accessory hot and use a tap a fuse to add the new circuit. That way if something in the camera fails it will pop its own fuse and not have any effect on the factory harness. Just find one of the higher amp fuses to do the tap a fuse on as its wire from the fuse panel to the battery is heavier wires. Anything above a 15 amp is fine to tap into at the fuse panel. Anything less amperage will still have tiny 18-22 awg wires feeding the fuse. And. Is no better than tapping in at the overhead.

I’m sure many will disagree and say tap into the dome/ map light harness. But I’ve just seen too many melted wires of people tapping into factory harnesses. Plus the wires are so small using a Posi Tap would be the best method not a splice or Scotch Clip. As they will simply cut the wire and you will now have insufficient connection to both devices. The Posi is a good tap but think how little that tiny point on that tap to the wire is making the connection.

I could ramble for hours why it’s a bad idea.
Again just my 2 cents here. It’s your car you can do it how you want.

Probably, I'm going to (although relucantantly) connect to the fuse box. If he said that he's seen wires melt before, that's kinda' scary.

Back