Need a dashcam installer experienced with Teslas

Spinball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius & Panorama II S
Hi folks, I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro 2ch dashcam but nobody to install it into my 2018 Tesla Model S.
Can anyone recommend an installer in the Birmingham area, please?
Someone who has experience installing dashcams into Teslas.
Many thanks.

sorry i cant really recommend, the only thing is do you not think you could install it yourself?

Hi folks, I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro 2ch dashcam but nobody to install it into my 2018 Tesla Model S.
Can anyone recommend an installer in the Birmingham area, please?
Someone who has experience installing dashcams into Teslas.
Many thanks.
Hey,
Can't recommend any installers unfortunately due to my location.
@Maddog1974 is the Thinkware retailer for the UK and may be able to provide advice on this or recommendations?
I would guess that any reputable audio shops in your area should be able to do this but at the same time...you own a Tesla. I would prefer to install it myself if I owned a Tesla, rather than taking a chance with an installer.

If you are so technically inclined (which I'm assuming that you are as the founder of the AVForums and also a longtime forum member here), you can actually do this yourself. You will likely save $100-200 (100-200 pounds) and also gain some personal enjoyment/experience doing it.
@DAP installed his Viofo dashcam (although a different brand from Thinkware) in his Tesla so you can also ask him for specifics on what he did, how he did, and so on...
You can also do a search on YouTube for your car make/model and include a generic term like "dashcam" at the end. Regardless of the dashcam manufacturer, the procedure is usually the same (locating the power source you want to use and routing the wires)
Example:

Other websites:

Last edited:
Hey,
Can't recommend any installers unfortunately due to my location.
@Maddog1974 is the Thinkware retailer for the UK and may be able to provide advice on this or recommendations?
I would guess that any reputable audio shops in your area should be able to do this but at the same time...you own a Tesla. I would prefer to install it myself if I owned a Tesla, rather than taking a chance with an installer.

If you are so technically inclined (which I'm assuming that you are as the founder of the AVForums and also a longtime forum member here), you can actually do this yourself. You will likely save $100-200 (100-200 pounds) and also gain some personal enjoyment/experience doing it.
@DAP installed his Viofo dashcam (although a different brand from Thinkware) in his Tesla so you can also ask him for specifics on what he did, how he did, and so on...
You can also do a search on YouTube for your car make/model and include a generic term like "dashcam" at the end. Regardless of the dashcam manufacturer, the procedure is usually the same (locating the power source you want to use and routing the wires)
Example:

Other websites:
Thanks, but my expertise is in running forums and I have no interest in learning how to install a dashcam and I'd probably just **** it up anyway. That's why I'd rather pay an expert to do it.

Thanks, but my expertise is in running forums and I have no interest in learning how to install a dashcam and I'd probably just **** it up anyway. That's why I'd rather pay an expert to do it.
But your signature has the "Video of the fitting of a Thinkware F770 into our Ioniq EV", along with the YouTube link. Please explain.
Since it say "our", I had assumed that you either installed this yourself in your car or someone installed this in your car for you and you recorded them?
As it doesn't make sense to have some random video not affiliated with you in anyway in your personal signature?

Screenshot 2022-11-04 1.11.47 PM.png

I therefore assumed that you either have the technical expertise or can easily get it based on your experience/signature and simply saw your request as more of a "My time is more valuable than money" post, rather than a technical expertise issue or lack of ability.
There are lots of people that know how to change their own car oil/filter (including me). You couldn't pay me to go under there and get my hands dirty just for a $15-20 in savings. I buy my own synthetic oil and filter, get a shop to do it that will only charge me $15-20 in labor fees. Not worth my time to change the oil in my car myself for such little savings for a once in a year (or every 10,000 miles) event.

But your signature has the "Video of the fitting of a Thinkware F770 into our Ioniq EV", along with the YouTube link. Please explain.
Since it say "our", I had assumed that you either installed this yourself in your car or someone installed this in your car for you and you recorded them?
As it doesn't make sense to have some random video not affiliated with you in anyway in your personal signature?

View attachment 62269

I therefore assumed that you either have the technical expertise or can easily get it based on your experience/signature and simply saw your request as more of a "My time is more valuable than money" post, rather than a technical expertise issue or lack of ability.
There are lots of people that know how to change their own car oil/filter (including me). You couldn't pay me to go under there and get my hands dirty just for a $15-20 in savings. I buy my own synthetic oil and filter, get a shop to do it that will only charge me $15-20 in labor fees. Not worth my time to change the oil in my car myself for such little savings for a once in a year (or every 10,000 miles) event.
I see how you'd come to that conclusion. Yeah that was Jeff, the veteran expert who, after being asked by Hyundai dealer Motorfair, installed the dashcam into our (being me and the then wife's) car. I made the video because I thought it would be interesting. The part where he connected it to the fuses was way over my head and I wouldn't want to touch the electrics in a Tesla in case I kill it. What I did learn from Jeff is that doing the install well is quite an expert job. Like winding electrical tape round the cables with the sticky side out so that they don't rattle in the bodywork. And routing the rear cable through the rubber tubes which carry the other cables to the tailgate.
I called Jeff earlier, actually, but he didn't answer. He was saying he was retired back in 2017, so I doubt he'd be interested in doing my S.

Your other option is to check the Thinkware EU website and put in your location.

They have a list of dealers (scroll down to the list), so I would use one of those listed there close to you as a starting point.
Screenshot 2022-11-04 2.24.43 PM.png

• It is possible that these listed dealers will up sell you on the labor cost since you did not get the Thinkware dashcam from them so they may charge higher than usual.
  • It is also possible that they will not warranty their work since you did not get the dashcam from them and if anything goes wrong they can easily deflect the blame from themselves and blame the product that you got from elsewhere rather than their own labor as being the issue.
  • You would also have to do your own research or find out if they have expertise on installing dashcams in Teslas.
Hope that helps as a starting point, and also consider checking/reading reviews of those listed places on Google if it is available.

I installed in a model 3, I know nothing about the S.
Installing a dashcam in a Tesla is a bit problematic. The Tesla has no fuse box, it fact the car has exactly one fuse, and that is on the high voltage battery. There is really only one place to tap power from, and that is the cigarette lighter outlet in the center console. There is a connector on the back of the outlet, but one can not buy a mating pair of that type of connector. One can only get the male connector built into the back of a cigarette lighter outlet. I tapped into that power by soldering additional wires to the connector that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter, and putting a USB power supply in the space in front and under the cabin air filter. I routed power to the back of the car through the head liner, but I don't recommend that, as it was very difficult to get the wire past the cross beam in the roof. I think it would be easier to run the wire under the trim on the bottom of the door frames.

Back