David's Story... Sad ending...released by family hoping safer drive...

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
David's Story... Sad ending...released by family hoping for safer drive...
From KDVR.
WARNING: While the below video does not contain graphic images, it includes content some may find disturbing.
NORFOLK, England — Motorcyclist David Holmes was wearing a helmet camera when he plowed into a turning car at 97 mph in Norfolk, England.
The 38-year-old was killed instantly, but the video was recovered intact. And now that video has been released by Holmes’ family in an effort to raise awareness.
Holmes mother, Brenda Holmes, is also seen in the video, which was released on YouTube this week and can be seen above. In her on-camera interview, she begs not only motorcyclists, but drivers to be more attentive on the roads.
“I know (David) rode fast that day, he loved speed but he also loved life,” Brenda says in the video. “I just hope that somebody benefits from the warning; that people slow down and take time to look for bikes.
“I’m not a perfect driver, I’ve done silly things sometimes and I’ve been lucky to get away with them. David wasn’t lucky. The driver wasn’t lucky.”
The speed limit on the Norfolk road where Holmes died is 60 mph, meaning he was going almost 40 mph over the limit. However, the driver of the sedan that was also involved in the crash pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving.
That driver’s name was not released, but according to the London Daily Mirror, the individual received 12 months of community service and an 18-month driving ban after pleading guilty.
Chris Spinks, head of the Norfolk and Suffolk Roads Policing Unit, told the Mirror that he knew releasing the video would “divide opinions.” But Spinks also felt it could send a powerful message.
“The video is shocking,” Spinks said. “However, this is the reality of fatal collisions.”

Watched that this morning, he was going way too fast unfortunately which would have made it harder for the car turning to judge the distance, feel for the car driver also that has to live with that burden for the rest of their lives

Watched that this morning, he was going way too fast unfortunately which would have made it harder for the car turning to judge the distance, feel for the car driver also that has to live with that burden for the rest of their lives
It's very hard to judge closing times at that sort of speed if your not very used to them, especially with something narrow like a bike.

Stopping distances:
60 mph = 73 meters
97 mph = 172 meters

I've had bikes for many years and can see it from both sides, no winners in this situation

Stopping is not necessary to survive.
Even slowing down little bit makes life and death difference.

I once knew a guy who died in kinda the same way, the car just came out from a side road, and the guy on the bike was dooing 200 km/h more or less in the heart of Aarhus the 2 largest town in Denmark on a road with 60 km/h speedlimit.
His bike allmost sawed the car in half, and the woman driver sitting in the far side from where the bike hit never walked again.

I want to try a bike and drive it to the max or when i fall off, but doing it on the streets are just insane considering the bikes capabilities for steering and braking at high speed, and not to forget all the other brainless ppl using the road.

It's no fun to hit a car. I had a car pull in front of me, I went flying over the handlebars, over the car, and landed on my feet, then momentum continued me to body slide along the pavement. No helmet. I was blessed and protected (one of many times… today is the second anniversary of WHY I bought a dash cam… semi ran me over)

It's no fun to hit a car. I had a car pull in front of me, I went flying over the handlebars, over the car, and landed on my feet

the bar has been raised now you have to not just land on your feet but land on the roof of a moving car, lots of fun to ride but it is dangerous while ever cars are also on the road

I used to ride in the early 80s and i forced myself to watch knowing it would stir memories having had time frozen and realised there was no way to avoid a car pulling out to left..

I never rode a bike again through choice, but with a history of incidents including one of my own making in falling asleep whilst riding home after a night shift - you would think i would have quit sooner.

Maybe I'm missing something here... why did the car driver plead guilty, or was even charged? The only thing they're guilty of is being in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was 100% the fault of the idiot on the bike. Yes, motorcycles are often overlooked by other drivers on the road, especially in today's day and age of distracted driving. But if this is how you're going to ride your bike, then don't be surprised at the consequences.

Back