Girl rear ends car in front of her..but that's not the whole story. (Watch until very end.) - [1:17]

They were passing on the street side so its the cyclist's fault.

Yes, passengers allowed to open their doors while the car they are in is not parked? without looking? having seen a bike go past about 9 seconds earlier?

Thank god I no longer cycle.....

back seat passengers don't exactly have a mirror to check whether it's safe to open the door, and most probably don't expect a bike or anything to come flying up from behind that fast on the curb-side. even if they had checked out the back window, by the time they turned back around and began to open the door, the moped would have still hit the door because they were going too fast. seems all the eastern asia videos i see involving mopeds/scooters, the drivers of those mopeds seem to think they're invincible. motorcyclists (sport bikes in particular) also tend towards acting like superman, but at least they seem to have more sense than these moped drivers. then there's that moron on the yellow sport bike that brake checked a car on the highway and got his just deserts. wtf did he expect to happen? riker-facepalm.jpg

Both the passenger and all these riders are doing the wrong thing. I always have turned my head when in the back seats, also If I was incapable of turning my head I would open the door slightly to alert bikes and hear any coming bikes or look back before opening the whole way. And I tend to agree that a motorbike might handle these scenarios better simply because they unlike slower mopeds don't mind the decelerations/accelerations.
Judging by the location, all should be accustomed to bikes more.

In a lot of Asian cities that right hand curb lane is a designated lane for scooters and mopeds.

Back