Decent dual dashcam for under $150?

JamesDoe

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
Gazer F117
Are there any? I can't see them. My current dashcam behaves funny, and I've just got a notion that I want a second camera facing backwards out of the rear window. I've seen some dual cams in the recommendations, but they cost $280-400, not what I'm ready to spend on this device. Is there something more affordable that isn't trash quality?

I don't need any fancy functions. Just auto-recording from both cameras automatically after the device is powered up. And decent image quality.

Look into a BlackSys CF-100 which would fall in that price range if you can find one. Front image quality is OK during the day, less so at night. Rear cam daylight image is kind of OK and falls off significantly at night and is only 720P. Playback software is 'quirky' at best.

Welcome to DCT forum.

Mini 0906
is up coming (still in beta test). You can check the progress here in the forum and see some video clip.
If you need the camera now, it won't help you. If you can wait, you might want to look into it.

Last edited:
Mini 0906 is up coming (still in beta test). You can check the progress here in the forum and see some video clip.
If you need the camera now, it won't help you. If you can wait, you might want to look into it.
Seems to be pretty much what I need, thanks! I can wait.
Do you think it will be released this year?

Another option if money is tight maybe buy the front cam and add the rear cam later ? pricier than what you want but I use to fantastic effect the thinkware F770

It's not as much about the money being tight, it just doesn't seem right spending m0re on this thing, esp. since I'm a "Sunday driver". An OK regular single cam is $65 (mini 0806), why can't a double one fit $150? But I appreciate the thought!
I could just buy two separate cams, front and back... But I can't think of a neat way to power the rear one. Running a thin wire from the front unit to the back cam along the roof seems much simpler, since I've already invested the time and effort to power the front cam.

It's all about what kind of images you expect from the cams. With a budget-priced 2 channel cam, the front cam is usually OK but the rear cam may be marginal. It will show vehicle positions behind you under almost all circumstances, but may lack details so much that you can't identify the car from that alone. Most folks consider 1080P/30FPS as the minimum necessary for decent image quality. And dual-channel cams have a lower bitrate for both cams which restricts their performance. Most of the budget single-channel cams use similar components and firmware which is available cheaply and is known to work well enough. Dual cams need lesser-used and more costly chipsets and the programming has to be developed for each model which takes more time and money. It's not as easy as doubling the price to get the second cam going.

The only real advantage of dual-channel cams is convenience. You have one easy to access SD card and the install is usually a little easier too. Until you reach the top level dual cams you can always get better images and better performance with 2 separate cams for the same cost or less. And with most cars it isn't too tough to install a separate rear cam, so the only major drawback to separate cams is accessing the rear SD card. Either way you will have one cable to run to the rear- the difference is what that cable does; 12VDC, USB, or cam data for a dual-cam model.

When price is a factor, you will get better performance using 2 separate cams, but if you can accept their limitations a dual channel cam may do well enough for you. Only you can make that decision. Using a reputable local seller who gives good support will get you one good cam at this price level, but if you're willing to take the chances of buying from a Chinese mega-store you can get a good front cam and a decent rear cam for $150, but you won't get an equally good 2ch cam for the same price. Your money, your choice, and if you can decide whether it must be a dual-chanel cam or not we can help with some suggestions of which cam you might like best.

Phil

Most of the budget single-channel cams use similar components and firmware which is available cheaply and is known to work well enough. Dual cams need lesser-used and more costly chipsets and the programming has to be developed for each model which takes more time and money. It's not as easy as doubling the price to get the second cam going.
Interesting considerations, I had not thought about that. Tanks for your detailed reply, Phil.
I would actually prefer to buy the cam from Aliexpress or a similar shop, my local stores sell **** and offer **** warranty, pardon my French. Yes, I can see now that money-wise buying two OK separate cams is the best solution, but routing the power to the rear cam is way more pain in my car than I'm willing to deal with. Unless I put some kind of a USB splitter in the front to attach a second power lead, hmm. It won't be pretty but it would work. Still, I'm very interested in that new Mini 0906 thing.

Glad my thoughts helped. If you use a good 2-port PS (Anker or Aukey make good ones) and you run a good quality USB cable to the rear cam, that should be reliable and an easy install. Alternately you can use a cigarette lighter splitter and extension with the supplied PS's but it will be a tougher install. The cheapest cam I like is the G1W-HC though the form-factor isn't the best. I've been running 2 of these for most of a year now with no reliability issues though the indicator lights act funky on one. About $35 each from Banggood and would make a good rear cam if you can fit it well enough. For a front cam there's the A118c (get only a Viofo built one), the A119, and the Chupad D501 (a battery model) worth your consideration. Also there's the old Mobuis which has no screen but can have super-caps for power and the price is excellent for the quality you get (no mount or PS included with this cam). Any of these will do front or rear; it's mostly the form-factor, price, and whether it's a battery or super-caps that varies. Do keep in mind that you'll need SD cards too and these cannot be cheap ones as only a few types have proven reliable in dashcam use. There are other cam choices which may also be fine but I an less familiar with those.

So given about $150 to work with you can have a fairly decent and reliable setup to cover front and rear. There will be compromises to live with but nothing is ever perfect in life and as long as you're happy with the results you've done as well as is possible.

Phil

Thanks for another bunch of great suggestions. Now I'm tempted to buy the A119 for $75 for the front cam, seems like a good deal.

Crikey ... only $75 bucks? .... it's $150 bucks for us Aussies ... something is wrong here?

I think its getting very close. I don't have any information when and I would let @Rayman.Chan play his card.

I don't know if he gonna find a EU sales place, so you save some time on shipping and cost. Special if you gonna need to return for any reason as @SawMaster say.
If you want to buy a just release camera, I personal want to wait 1 month, before I buy it. Let other people test it for you first.;)
Find out if the camera producer have some experiences with making dachcam or is it his first camera on the marked.

Be aware when you check any video on youtube it has been compressed, so you will get better quality on the raw file.
You can always ask if any would like to share a raw clip with you.

Last edited:
Oh .. $US 77 bucks .. phew .. so we are only paying 50% more here in Oz .. instead of 100% more ... oh well, that's ok then. Bargain. lol

It was the A119 Viofo that first got me interested in getting a Dash Cam.
They have a lot of the Reviewers excited .. and often get 'Best Bang for Your Buck'
I could definitely live happily with one of those, provided it was reliable.

Last edited:
Oh .. $US 77 bucks .. phew .. so we are only paying 50% more here in Oz .. instead of 100% more ... oh well, that's ok then. Bargain. lol
We have a saying around these parts: "Worry about low income, not about high expenses." :)

If you want to get screwed the most for prices of every thing move to the uk, esp our fuel costs!!

If you want to get screwed the most for prices of every thing move to the uk, esp our fuel costs!!

Yeah .. I've noticed that you folks cop a Royal rip over there .. and to add insult to injury .. you get that lousy cold weather.
It's enough for a wise person to want to Upgrade and move Downunder. Cheaper, warmer .. and more sunshine. I take it Solar Power isn't a big thing over there? :cool:

What's the thread topic again? Oh yeah .. cheap Dash Cam. Forget it .. save up more and get a decent one

Last edited:

I am sure the 0906 will be out soon, MEG to my knowledge dont have a history of sitting on the cameras for too long during development / testing.
So i am pretty sure those will be out soon, their retail prize i am not sure what will be, but testing one it seem to be a nice camera if the few flaws and so on we testers have found can be ironed out.

And we have already seen a handful of new firmwares each taking its punch at problems that have been found that can be corrected in firmware, and we have also handed in some hardware issues that need attention before production start.

But in general a single front camera will be able to disproof most claims against you, most likely outrageous claims by a 2 part that is really the fault.
But ! if you would like to share the local idiots in traffic with other people on youtube, in that case you cant really have too many cameras in the car as stupid go on all around when you drive.

But in general 1 camera is fine, 2 will properly guard against even the most elaborate setup like crash for money that can get smart in some cases.

Most important if you have been in a crash, dont say anything about your camera, let the other part get the chance to lie as much as he can to police and insurance companies and only then by proving the second part is lying you undermine any claim the other part might have.

And the other part might have to go to jail for lying to police and insurance fraud.

But in general 1 camera is fine, 2 will properly guard against even the most elaborate setup like crash for money that can get smart in some cases.
I'm not worried about setups / fraud that much, doesn't seem to be a big thing here. I am worried about idiots on the roads, that's at least half the traffic. The last time I've been hit in the back and set $500 back (right on a regulated crossroads, no less), not to mention my perfect accident-free car is no longer accident-free :(

Most important if you have been in a crash, dont say anything about your camera, let the other part get the chance to lie as much as he can to police and insurance companies and only then by proving the second part is lying you undermine any claim the other part might have.

And the other part might have to go to jail for lying to police and insurance fraud.
Interesting tactics.

Back