Did I do anything wrong?

Why would you directly go into the middle lane?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...2!3m1!1s0x88c2e4613f683dcb:0x7132917182e2e466

if you look at the far right lane not even 45 feet from where I turned onto the road from it turns into a right turn only lane so I moved into the middle lane (and I was going to go under the overpass and turn left so I'm not going to stay in the right lane). Correct me if I'm wrong but even still if all the traffic was red and I was 10 seconds down the road even if I had been in front of him wouldn't it still be on him? I just used google maps and a measuring tool and I was a little shy of 1/10th of a mile down the road before he rev bombed me.

I see what the problem is. You were driving on US-19 on Florida's gulf coast, that explains everything. :eek:

For those forum members who aren't familiar with it all the country's worst drivers congregate there. Average age is well over 60, and average eyesight is probably around 20/100. It's the winter home of probably 1/4 of all American retirees. :D

u live down here dt mi? or have you just have the "joy" of driving on us 19? :p
My parents used to live in New Port Richey and my daughter lives in Naples. I've had the 'privilege' of playing Dodg'em Cars on 19 and 41 more than once while visiting.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...2!3m1!1s0x88c2e4613f683dcb:0x7132917182e2e466

if you look at the far right lane not even 45 feet from where I turned onto the road from it turns into a right turn only lane
No it doesn't. An extra lane is added for the right turn.
and I was going to go under the overpass and turn left
No you didn't

I just used google maps and a measuring tool
So did I and you stick in that lane for 1/3 of a mile till the light, and a full mile until you finally turn left at the third lights.
All I'm saying is that we're used to keeping right and this looks to me like really unnecessary.

Man, I'm going from Orlando > Naples > Key West > Miami in a rental car in a few weeks and you guys are scaring me :eek: I'll be there for 10 days, not looking forward to the toll roads either. Never seen them before.

All I'm saying is that we're used to keeping right and this looks to me like really unnecessary.
especially in a dense retail area like this, keeping right simply isn't practical. about the only place that's really expected is on open highways where there are few/no cross-roads or exits, and speed limits are much higher (usually at least 55 mph). "slower traffic keep right" does not apply on a street like this. too many people are trying to either turn left or right, so in this case, if you aren't turning, it's actually best to be in the center lane.

Dense area? The road's completely empty?!

Guess it's a cultural thing...

Dense area? The road's completely empty?!

Guess it's a cultural thing...
i wasn't talking about the traffic - i'm talking about the density of the retail stores in the area. shopping centers. which are plainly visible on the map links above. i'm sure culture is a partial factor as well. even on the interstate highways (what you call motorways) people often fail to keep right, causing traffic backups. it's not illegal to pass on the right though, which is good because i do it all the time when i encounter lane hoggers on the interstate.

Man, I'm going from Orlando > Naples > Key West > Miami in a rental car in a few weeks and you guys are scaring me :eek: I'll be there for 10 days, not looking forward to the toll roads either. Never seen them before.
Sounds like a nice trip, especially in a few weeks when the weather is better. @DT MI is referring to what could best be described as an adventure on US 19. Unless you make a concentrated effort to do so, your journey will not take you to that area. Beware of the morons both young and old in Florida. They are all over, but it seems they are more concentrated in Florida for some reason ;) This might help in understanding the toll system: https://www.sunpass.com/index

It is here, but that doesnn't stop me... :oops:
Over here too, but the concept of "undertaking" only applies if you are in a lane other than the one on the right and you use it to pass what's in front of you. If you're travelling in an empty right lane and everybody else is in the middle or the left, you're not technically passing anyone, because they're not in front of you. And they're the ones in the wrong because you're the one keeping right.

Sorry about the off-topic.

You would have to go way out of your way to hit US-19 based on that itinerary. Never had the opportunity to drive down to Key West from the mainland but would definitely like to some day.

...@DT MI is referring to what could best be described as an adventure on US 19....
That's just one word, of many, that can be used to describe it. :eek::D

You would have to go way out of your way to hit US-19 based on that itinerary. Never had the opportunity to drive down to Key West from the mainland but would definitely like to some day.

I revised my plan a little, I won't drive on the west coast of Florida anymore.

Orlando > Cape Canaveral (NASA) > Key West > Miami

I do know about all the old people who comes down to Florida for the winter and are on the roads there. I'll be dodging them and all the other crazy drivers.

I revised my plan a little, I won't drive on the west coast of Florida anymore.

Orlando > Cape Canaveral (NASA) > Key West > Miami

I do know about all the old people who comes down to Florida for the winter and are on the roads there. I'll be dodging them and all the other crazy drivers.
That would be the route I would take. You are not missing much in the everglades. Enjoy!

I bet you that you wont see any motorcycles keeeping right, at least not the crotch rocket types, those guys seem to be in 1 constant overtaking maneuver.

Here we only have 1 rule in regard to getting up to the max speed, and thats not endangering other ppl, so i assume as long as you dont make any wheelspin in your car you are good. on a motorcycle all i can see is popping a wheely or smoking your rear tire, ( you cant zip thru lines of traffic here as thats illigal and considered a overtaking to the right of a vehicle )

Back