Diesel Power In Action

DaveLC2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DOD LS360W
That crane must weigh a bunch and that Peterbilt isn't even breaking a sweat.

We don't need no stinkin diesel... (Yes I'm aware of the speed difference)
6a00d8341c630a53ef017ee423b696970d-640wi

That's why I purchased my Tundra...you just never know...Astronaut might ask if I have a tow strap..."yes I do Mr. Astronaut...yes I do..."

Then there's the Chevy truck :D

All glory goes to Rudolf Diesel !

Last edited:
my dad works in the natural gas pipeline industry. a few times, he's taken me out to compressor stations that he wrote the software for. it looked like a regular, boring warehouse, except for the four city bus-sized mufflers sticking out the roof. inside, there were four v12 compressor engines, each about 3 stories tall. surprisingly, you didn't need hearing protection, just a hard hat in case someone above accidentally dropped a tool or something. dad said that each engine produced something like 8000 horsepower, and had a redline of just 750rpm. wonder what the torque numbers were on those motors... it was kinda neat watching the exposed rocker arms move so slowly as the engine turned over.

here's the thing - that was a "small" station according to my dad. he showed me pics of another station with an absolutely massive v16 (or was it v20?) compressor engine ... with four turbochargers on the exterior of the building. like a cruise ship or other large engines, you could stop individual cylinders, and even walk around inside the engine via access doors. i think he said it could make almost 30,000 horsepower.

to give you an idea, this is an even smaller version of a natural gas compressor engine
http://www.xr650rforum.com/t945-clark-4500hp-12-cyliner-engine (that's not me in the pics - just a random thread i found with lots of pics)

I been inside a couple of MAN B&W motors in the ships i worked on, looking up at the crankshaft you cant but think " noobody start this sucker right now"
Cuz even if there is room for a grown man in the crank case, it will get pretty hectic if it start to turn, allso the rods from the crank up to the piston is in 2 parts, the upper part beeing about 10 feet or so long and the lower about the same length.

You can allso crawl into the exaust manifold and get as far as touching the exaust piston, but word of advise its pretty damm hot in there when the engine have only been stopped and ventilated with fresh air for a short time.
Allso not a place you want to be if some one start up the sucker.

If my memory serve me right i think torm kristina redlined at 110 RPM, normally we just did 90 RPM.

Too bad i dont have a scanner, i found some of my SLR pictures today from the ships, snapped a lot of engine room pics as thats where i spent most of my time.

On Torm kristina the engineer apprentice was told to put 1 Sq M of oil on the main motor, he forgot all about him opening for the oil, but lucky for him there was only 2 Sq M in the oil tank, and there was room for them in the engine without it blowing the blast doors on the crank case. :rolleyes:

torm%20kristina%20anch%20@%20hurd%20bank%20aerial%20iii%20-%2025.07.2009.jpg

Man i miss the ships and beeing out of Denmark :( sadly those days is a done deal for me, and its not only my poor helth and age thats keeping me grounded, its allso the politicians in the pockets of Maersk shipping that have ruined it all.

Wish i had been there in 2011.

"Piracy in the Indian Ocean took a new turn last week, when the Torm owned tanker Torm Kristina came under fire for several hours from unknown pirates. The tanker was loaded with gasoline bound for Europe and was attacked off the coast of Oman in an area that has been considered safe until the attack on the Danish coaster Leopard.
The pirates fired at the Torm Kristina for several hours, but did not manage to enter the ship, which increased speed and made evasive manoeuvres to avoid boarding."

Last edited:
I been inside a couple of MAN B&W motors in the ships i worked on, looking up at the crankshaft you cant but think " noobody start this sucker right now"
Cuz even if there is room for a grown man in the crank case, it will get pretty hectic if it start to turn, allso the rods from the crank up to the piston is in 2 parts, the upper part beeing about 10 feet or so long and the lower about the same length.
I once had a look inside one of them, there was no need to open it up to get in because one of the bolts that held a crankshaft counterweight had fractured letting one end of the counterweight go free, the bolt on the other end held on even after it had stretched to twice it's normal length so the half free counterweight carried on turning and destroying everything in it's path, there was a hole in the side of the crankcase big enough to walk through!

The engine had been installed in the ship before an 11 story tower block was built above it so changing the engine was a bit of a challenge.

Best memory of that trip was getting about 10 miles per tonne of fuel during the test run with the new engine.

Just realized that the above picture seem to be a "new" torm kristina build in 1999. guess its a popular name in Torm :D

Back