Difference between GS608 and Mini 0801?

drabina

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new here and totally confused by the selection of dash cams. I found GS608 and Mini 0801 small cams on Ebay. Even though they look identical, the Mini is twice the price of GS608. Could somebody please tell me if the GS608 is a decent buy or should I pay double for the Mini 0801?

Thanks.

Hi there, welcome...

The listings I've found for a "GS608" all seem fake. You should visit the official Mini 0801 review for the recommended sellers, since you might get stung by the growing number of fakes on eBay. Also watch out since with the Mini 0801 you might need to do some firmware tweaking in order to get yours working correctly. Nothing major, but you should be comfortable updating firmware using your PC and firmware files downloaded from the internet. The Mini 0801 forum is filled with tips so you can get an idea of what problems you might encounter.

If you want something more on the budget side, you can also consider the G1w which is the cheapest yet decent-quality camera other users in this forum have found. Also buy from the recommended sellers in the official review.

EDIT
You might find this specific thread useful: How to identify a fake Mini 0801

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying.

The G1W looks good but I need something small (and cheap) so I can hide it easily behind the mirror. Cheap, because I do not want to leave $200+ dash cam in the car 24/7. I may go for the original small dashcam without the LCD. I am just not sure how hard is to change the settings without the screen as I have nothing to connect it to in the car.

If you need small, chose between:
- Mobius ( access to GUI via smarphone Android app)
- Innovv
- Mini D33

I need something small (and cheap) so I can hide it easily behind the mirror.
I agree. You won't find anything cheaper than the G1w though, so you might use that as your lowest comparison point. Anything cheaper than that and you will find video with too low quality and/or materials that don't resist the temperatures inside a car.

I also wanted a dash cam with screen because I want to be able to point it correctly and change its settings without having to connect it to a computer or a smartphone. It's not hard to hide a G1w-style camera (with screen) behind your rear view mirror, check out this thread for ideas, it has lots of pictures: Where did you mount the camera? There's always the trick of using Plasti Dip to make any camera stealthier.

I am just not sure how hard is to change the settings without the screen as I have nothing to connect it to in the car.
It depends on the camera. Cameras without a screen have several options like connecting to your Android smart phone via wifi to tweak settings and view a live feed. The thing is the camera won't record and transmit a live feed at the same time. Some other cameras you can connect to your computer via USB. And with others you just load your settings into a text file using your computer and then you copy that file into the camera's memory card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for all the replies.

I may go with the G1W. There is a place in NYC that sells it for $60 plus shipping.

Sorry to revive an old thread but the SpyTec store is out of the G1Ws. Looking at FoxOffers they have a newer G1W-C (capacitor based) cam. Should I get this one instead the battery based G1W?

Sorry to revive an old thread but the SpyTec store is out of the G1Ws. Looking at FoxOffers they have a newer G1W-C (capacitor based) cam. Should I get this one instead the battery based G1W?

Actually this thread is about other dashcams ( title ), but regarding your question you may read my review ( check signature )

Back