Difference between Z22 and Z22L

spool

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
Hi guys,

I have two yi sport cam, the first is Z22 version and the second is the Z22L version

can anyone explain me what's the difference between z22 and z22L ?

which one is better ?

thank you guys

I have a 23L version.

L versions, as described elsewhere in this forum, do not have a IR filter (the other versions do).
There are differences in still pictures and video, especially in pictures taken in front of the sun.

Could you please take and share some pictures of the same scene with your cams 22 and 22L, possibly in front of the sun or with sunlight coming from the front side, in order to compare?

I have a 23L version.

L versions, as described elsewhere in this forum, do not have a IR filter (the other versions do).
There are differences in still pictures and video, especially in pictures taken in front of the sun.

Could you please take and share some pictures of the same scene with your cams 22 and 22L, possibly in front of the sun or with sunlight coming from the front side, in order to compare?
...but it "should be" a feature (with corresponding sensor) not a bug, many camera manufacturer build now lenses without a filter for UV andIR (against artifacts and moire effect) before the sensor, it gives more sharpness and better resolution. That is more important for the users and in Raw photos you can renounce on that filters because you can correct by software (for jpg it is better to have one) and in videos the lack of filter "should" have no affect!...
Maybe the 16 Megapixel Sony Exmor Sensor is not good enough, but it is willed by xiaomi?

MFG
gente

So the best would be to have a lens without IR filter and a sensor with that feature?

I am interested in Yi cam to take best possible stills (jpeg) for pano pictures.
I would need a set of 6. I have now only one.
I would like to compare jpegs taken with irc or no irc to decide which version of Yi is better for me. All that of course before buying six.
I saw the comparison of videos taken by Yi with irc and no irc suggested somewhere in this forum but I would like to compare stills too.
The jpegs from my Yi (23L) shows flares, they appear to be "veiled" and have a sort of "red disk" when taken in front of the sun.
Here some samples:
http://www.lingua.it/foto/fotoyi.html
I do not know if that is a feature you can not avoid with any Yi versions or you can avoid with the Yi version without L in the serial number.
That is why I am asking, and I would be very grateful to anyone who owns both irc and non irc version of Yi to take some stills of the same scene with the two versions in order to compare....

the new gopro4 also has no Fiter before the sensor. I mean 22l/23l is the latest versions. To become a version without L you might have to buy from a shop with old stocks. What about 22L and 23 L whichone is newer whats about the difference from Version 22 to 23 with or without L?
Not all people owning a L version has that problems sawn in another thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/z23l-revision-problems.13488/

MFG
gente

Last edited by a moderator:
YsGAgju.jpg

Ugh, now I see the reason of this problem. Strange, for all photos, happened few times. Not much, but happened :/ I have 22L version.

To become a version without L you might have to buy from a shop with old stocks.

Do you know one of these stores?

Not all people owning a L version has that problems sawn in another thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/z23l-revision-problems.13488/

The sample videos here:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/ChD2/TjS39gF66/noirc.mp4
and here:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/ChD2/TjS39gF66/irc.mp4

seem to confirm the effects I have in stills from my 23L Yi but in the video I can not notice the differences in other aspects of image quality.
That is why I would be very very grateful if someone with L and non L version could post and share stills of the same scene taken from different versions, especially in front of direct sunlight: comparing stills (which I can not do directly because I have only one cam) would be very useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
now I see the reason of this problem.
I presume it depends on sunlight direction and air temperature.
Could you please take and post some pictures in front of sunlight to check if they have similar effects as mine taken by 23L version?

xPk8L4U.jpg

Not directly, but for now I haven't got chance to take. Sun is in left side. That's stupid, why Xiaomi did this?

sample1.jpg

sample2.jpg

Two samples of mine: I would like to verify if it is normal under this light conditions in all versions of Yi or only in 22L and/or 23L versions

sorry I did not upload the pictures. You may find following the link I posted above in this thread....

Are there any solutions? Maybe filters or replacement lens?

Gopro HAVE an IR filter.

Are there any solutions? Maybe filters or replacement lens?
Filters, I doubt, lenses replacement, maybe.
But first of all we should compare images from L versions (no ir filter) and from non L versions (ir filter), of course of the same scene and in different conditions: the incidence of sunlight I think is what mainly marks the difference from ir or non ir filter version.

Perhaps spool@, who started this thread, or other owners of both versions could post and share some images: we could verify the differences and make considerations based on something real.

I have a Z23L yi cam and I have photos uploaded in other post

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fried Yi Action Camera 0
D Yi Action Camera 5
Back