Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

How do you go about folding in changes you have made when a new SDK is released? Or have you decided the SDK you have is the one you'll modify, and not bother with any newer SDK's for a given product?
when a new SDK comes out we have to do all the changes again, we're in the process of doing that now

Ahh yes, you're bringing back 'fond' memories from my professional past. :banghead:
And, having broken the system where everybody benefits from everyone else's improvements and bug fixes, they are likely to have to fix all their bugs themselves now! Can't expect everybody else to do it for them. SG may have been doing more than their fair share of the work, but it is unlikely they were doing more than everyone else combined so it is of questionable benefit.

As customers, we can expect bigger differences between brands in the future, some brands will move well into the lead with exciting new functions, others will get left behind with inferior features and more bugs.

So much for it being a major failure. ;)

I've said from the start it's random. But let's say you're driving along and your Dash Board randomly goes blank. You restart the car and it comes back. Not a problem, right? Only random so no worries.

before this gets out of hand let me clarify, we do not write our own SDK, that's how you make it sound

what we do have now that we didn't have before is full SDK access which means we can implement our own changes in the SDK rather than having to wait for someone else to make the changes, there's a few reasons we wanted this, one is that it can in some circumstances make it quicker to get changes done, the main one though is that previously all our changes ended up in the SDK that everyone else had access to so other suppliers were benefiting from all our debug and feature development without doing a thing, I'm all for the industry improving and the standard being raised but when we do all the work and bear all the expense it becomes a bit much

Sorry thanks for clarifying. Didn't mean to misstate your efforts.

And, having broken the system where everybody benefits from everyone else's improvements and bug fixes, they are likely to have to fix all their bugs themselves now! Can't expect everybody else to do it for them. SG may have been doing more than their fair share of the work, but it is unlikely they were doing more than everyone else combined so it is of questionable benefit.

As customers, we can expect bigger differences between brands in the future, some brands will move well into the lead with exciting new functions, others will get left behind with inferior features and more bugs.

I'd say the results hinge upon the strength of Street Guardian's development team. Clearly, if they are good at their job, one would hope that their individual efforts meets or exceeds a collective effort of sharing.

when a new SDK comes out we have to do all the changes again, we're in the process of doing that now

While more of a pain in the ass, you have complete control over any and all changes. Without having other developers copy your changes and progress.

, some brands will move well into the lead with exciting new functions, others will get left behind with inferior features and more bugs.
In nature that called survival of the fitest

In nature that called survival of the fitest
Sometimes that is a good thing, and sometimes symbiosis is a good thing!

I've said from the start it's random. But let's say you're driving along and your Dash Board randomly goes blank. You restart the car and it comes back. Not a problem, right? Only random so no worries.
Crappy comparison. It'd be more like if your dashboard randomly flickers for a split second (1/30th of a second specifically) blink and don't even notice.... lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Crappy comparison. It'd be more like if your dashboard randomly flickers for a split second (1/30th of a second specifically) blink and don't even notice.... lol
(y) :ROFLMAO:

SG may have been doing more than their fair share of the work, but it is unlikely they were doing more than everyone else combined so it is of questionable benefit.
99% of Novatek's customers work with whatever they're given and make no requests for changes or improvements, plenty of them don't even update to newer SDK's when available unless it's for a new project

While more of a pain in the ass, you have complete control over any and all changes. Without having other developers copy your changes and progress.
some of what you do still gets copied regardless, reverse engineering is one way, the engineers from different companies quite often know each other due to vendor training days etc and they do talk

Every 92 frames, rear camera duplicates a frame.
Far as randomly duping every 92 frames on rear camera, this is a major annoyance.
A duplicate frame every 92 is a major annoyance.
This thread has gone on a while. @gabilondo77 first identified the dropped frames / duplicate frame every 92 frames.
Man, can you change your nickname into duplicate92review? This is the only thing I learned from you, the only thing remembers you. I don't remember any useful information from you. But only that a camera is dropping a frame each 3 seconds. Sometimes! 99,9999% of users will never see it. If I will screen you 100 videos and only in one video will be a duplicate frame you will never know which video have it.
Few years ago in low light all cameras were duplicating 1 frame at each 2 frames. People were not happy but I don't remember a user like you to write in every post that a camera is duplicating a frame.
Try to look at the dual adhesive band from the mount if is perfect centered. If is not perfect centered it is a major flaw. So you can change the subject.
You can complain also that the serial number is very small so if you will use the camera in the court a judge can refuse your camera as evidence because he can not read the serial number. This can ruin your life because you can go to jail. This is really a major flaw, man!

Last edited:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mr. Semantics, the point is that if your dash board randomly flickered for 1/30th of a second, or for 3 seconds every 3 minutes, you'd be thoroughly annoyed. And would take your car to the dealer for diagnosis.

So cut the B.S. You get the analogy.

some of what you do still gets copied regardless, reverse engineering is one way, the engineers from different companies quite often know each other due to vendor training days etc and they do talk

I guess "comparing notes" is bound to cause revisions and improvements to be leaked to other companies. It's inevitable that people working in the same industry ask one another for feedback.

Honestly, the only thing notable that has come out of Romania are the hilarious moments from Borat.
That is not honest!

Borat is as British as Monty Python!

So clearly, I don't give a damn about your opinion.

I wonder if Viofo feel the same way about your opinion?

And your comparisons are utterly laughable.

Says the guy comparing a missed frame randomly to a dash board going dark and requiring the car to be turned off!

But I also want consistent, reliable recording

You get that from the rear camera! It consistently, and reliably, adds an extra frame every 90 seconds! (not that anyone can spot it ...)

If a video appears choppy, there could be arguments said video has been edited, modified, or tampered with.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. It's an extra frame, and because it's a consistent, reliable thing in the video, no-one would take a claim of editing seriously.

ALL dashcams are fallible in one way or another. Dropped frames, duplicate frames, motion blur, compression artefacts, changes in WB or exposure, raindrops or splashes of mud on the windscreen, mount failure can all result in that single, vitally important frame being missed or not containing the information you desire. Not to mention the risks of card failure or power supply failure resulting in the camera not recording at all. Then there's user error such as aiming the lens the wrong way, leaving the lens cap on, forgetting to insert the memory card, or selecting inappropriate settings (yes - I've done all these).

If you're really worried about never ever missing a single frame - install a second camera

Back