Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

Viofo can very easily demand that a resolution be created to the problem.
Yes, demanding things is very easy, generally isn't a very effective way of getting a result though!

Streetguardian took control and devlopes their own
That sounds unlikely, the whole purpose of an SDK is that it is shared. They may be customising it, but actually developing their own doesn't make much sense.

I didn't know the front "randomly" dropping a frame was a known issue, but just something that one user experienced randomly?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You make it sound like Viofo has no choice here.

LOL ... while that may well be what he makes it sound like, you keep showing us you have NFI how these things work.

Every time you make an idiotic post like this, someone who actually does know has to come along and set you straight.

A Sciolist :( but at least people can easily see that as well as the real knowledge coming from long-time members here :)

Phil

There's been already a few months since the first reports of the g-sensor not working in the 1.9 version, yet @viofo didn't come up with a proper firmware version. For a company that wants to gain respect as a reliable manufacturer, the SDK issue should have been managed long time ago. As a customer, I would't care if the problem is in their backyards or at Novatek's. I want my product to perform as advertised. I start to feel "abandoned" as well and I think @viofo is not trying hard enough. The buffered parking mode is not complete without G-Sensor being sensible enough to pick up for example a door being hit by a shopping cart or by a nearby's car door. Having to hardly punch your dashcam to trigger an event is simply unacceptable.

In parking mode i would like to use G-sensor not least as a time stamp of when something happen as i intend to use always record low bitrate, and i would not mind if the sensor was so sensitive passing loud cars or maybe a truck / bus would set off a event.
Even a trigger by a severe wind gust i would not mind.
This while parked, i would of course never use G sensor while driving,,,, that's just stupid in my eyes.

the SDK issue should have been managed long time ago. As a customer, I would't care if the problem is in their backyards or at Novatek's.

And how, pray tell, should Viofo handle an issue they have zero control over?

If the dashcam doesn't meet your needs, don't wait around for a fix that may never come, bellyaching about poor customer service. Go and buy a unit that meets your requirements, and sell the Viofo to someone for whom it meets their needs.

This while parked, i would of course never use G sensor while driving,,,, that's just stupid in my eyes.

My old BlackVue had 2 G-sensor settings. 1 for parking, and 1 for driving. This allowed G-Sensor use while driving to automatically lock files in an accident. Still ... it did lock a lot of potholes and speed bumps.

Getting the sensitivity just right is nigh on impossible, because the G's placed on a car by a big truck going past a tad too close, and somebody moderately aggressively bumping your car as they walk past look the same.

If the dashcam doesn't meet your needs, don't wait around for a fix that may never come, bellyaching about poor customer service. Go and buy a unit that meets your requirements, and sell the Viofo to someone for whom it meets their needs.

My old BlackVue had 2 G-sensor settings. 1 for parking, and 1 for driving. This allowed G-Sensor use while driving to automatically lock files in an accident. Still ... it did lock a lot of potholes and speed bumps.

Getting the sensitivity just right is nigh on impossible, because the G's placed on a car by a big truck going past a tad too close, and somebody moderately aggressively bumping your car as they walk past look the same.
I don't think Viofo has zero control over that issue. The G-Sensor used to be more sensitive in v1.5 and it was messed up in V1.9. In their latest beta, it seems that the G-Sensor is more sensible again but there is no stable firmware update yet.
If there is a fix for this problem via a firmware update I am waiting for it. Secondly, I paid for the camera so I believe I can do whatever I want - you don't get to tell me what to do, ok?
"My old BlackVue had 2 G-sensor settings. 1 for parking, and 1 for driving" - this is the same for A129 so they surely can differentiate the G-Sensor sensitivity. It looks like you don't know this product very well so I suggest read about it before jumping on this thread...

LOL ... while that may well be what he makes it sound like, you keep showing us you have NFI how these things work.

Every time you make an idiotic post like this, someone who actually does know has to come along and set you straight.

And you clearly do, huh? So go fix the issue smartass. Oh wait, you've offered no solution what so ever. Maybe Viofo needs to demand that their investment be properly rewarded. I don't know about you, but if I buy or pay for something, I expect the product to perform. But I guess some snot nosed kid has zero understanding of how the business world works.

if only, there's far more to it than people understand

No one says the ask is easy. But for a problem to ever get resolved, someone must be working on a solution. You're a businessman. Let's say you pay a company 20,000 Euros to create a product. You find the product works, but not as specified. Do you say, "thanks", I'm glad to get 75% functionality, or do you demand the other 25% get fixed?

Viofo needs to step up and either let their developer know there's an outstanding issue, or find one to resolve the problem.

I don't know....but I have a feeling money talks. But again, some snot nosed kid wouldn't understand that people expect a working product. So if Viofo spent X to have their software developed, I'd be ringing the developer of their SDK and letting them know there's a major problem on the horizon. If they don't get to work solving the problem, Viofo can happy find one of a million other companies out there to do the job properly.

Yes... because it's not like there's only one developer in this whole big planet known as earth

You my friend, make my head hurt.

you've offered no solution what so ever.

That's because, unlike you, I don't pretend to think fixing these issues is an easy solution.

I don't know about you, but if I buy or pay for something, I expect the product to perform.

So do I. However, if I find it doesn't perform to my expectations, I either return it if product information was misleading, or sell it/give it away if I can't. Then I go and buy something that will perform.

I don't pretend it'll be such an oh so easy job to fix, and the company must be a bunch of lazy so-and-so's not to have fixed it.

Do you honestly believe if the fix was so easy that Viofo would say to themselves "Oh ... yeah ... we could fix that in a jiffy, but we can't be bothered, so we'll let people bellyache about it instead"?

But for a problem to ever get resolved, someone must be working on a solution

That's true. But first, the problem has to be considered a problem worth fixing ...

Viofo can happy find one of a million other companies out there to do the job properly.
More assumptions!

How many times do you need to be told your La La land view of how these things ought to be fixed is just that ... a massive dream by someone who thinks they have a clue.

You my friend, make my head hurt.

At least I only make your head hurt! You make every ones head hurt ...

That's because, unlike you, I don't pretend to think fixing these issues is an easy solution.

Maybe it's not an easy solution, who knows. But it's been over 6 months since the last firmware update, surely an update/explanation from viofo would help, to know like HonestReview mentioned, someone is working on a solution.

So do I. However, if I find it doesn't perform to my expectations, I either return it if product information was misleading, or sell it/give it away if I can't. Then I go and buy something that will perform.

This is what I did in the end, although I did persist for quite a while as I assumed faults would get fixed fairly quickly especially if I reported issues with viofo (The classic argument is always given, "How can they fix problems if customers don't make them aware?")

I don't pretend it'll be such an oh so easy job to fix, and the company must be a bunch of lazy so-and-so's not to have fixed it.

Do you honestly believe if the fix was so easy that Viofo would say to themselves "Oh ... yeah ... we could fix that in a jiffy, but we can't be bothered, so we'll let people bellyache about it instead"?

I don't believe they are a bunch of lazy so-and-so's but it is very baffling. People will naturally make assumptions as they try to come up with explanations (because viofo sure isn't giving any). I can imagine why people get frustrated when the only response is basically "You don't know what you're talking about"

I think there's been plenty of time to fix these issues. You're acting like we found the problem today and wanted it fixed tomorrow. Very untrue.

Again, Viofo has a good product with a few very serious flaws. It's not like these cameras were bought with a return policy of 6 months, a year, etc. And you make it sound like ripping out a properly installed camera (hard wired, cords ran, etc) is a fun and easy task. It's not.

But for a fix to happen, there must be some level of priority involved. And Viofo seems to have moved on to exclusively supporting their 4k line, dropping all of us who own the Duo. That's Viofo's call, but it shows that their product support is short sided. Instead of addressing current issues, they'll move on to another product line and "phase out" the problem. Which by the way, if Viofo doesn't know the root cause of the issue could EASILY REAPPEAR or be REINTRODUCED into their 4k line.

That's true. But first, the problem has to be considered a problem worth fixing ...

More assumptions!

How many times do you need to be told your La La land view of how these things ought to be fixed is just that ... a massive dream by someone who thinks they have a clue.

At least I only make your head hurt! You make every ones head hurt ...

You clearly have no clue. You just hopped on and decided to ramble without any basis. These issues are longstanding. Not yesterday, not last week, not last month, but half a year, a year, or more. Enough said.

All these very serious flaws [emoji1787]

I would consider the front randomly dropping a frame to be a very serious flaw. That frame could make all difference between reading a license plate on a hit and run and being unable to catch the person. If you've ever advanced a video frame by frame, sometimes there's only a single frame where a word can be made out.

Far as randomly duping every 92 frames on rear camera, this is a major annoyance.

There are other issues brought up by others, too, that necessitate more than a scoff.

Lack of g-sensor sensitivity in parking mode is a serious flaw. People running their dashcams in parking mode with a decent parking battery risk losing the moment their car was hit because the important moment was not locked and the file was overwritten. Imagine your car was hit in the parking lot and you didn't notice the damage immediately, but after you drove a few hours... When you realize your car was hit, it might be too late and the footage is lost.

If you don't consider this important on a dashcam, then you don't need one.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

How many have reported the RANDOMLY dropped frame in front? I've only heard of one person having this problem, but randomly and not able to knowingly reproduce it because it happens randomly.

Only problem I see is the g-sensor in parking mode. It's only benefit would be to lock the file of an event.

If something bumps the car door, video won't pick it up anyway unless you have the cameras mounted to the sides instead of front/rear. The front/rear cameras may pick up something coming/going before or after the triggered event, but they'd do that anyway using the motion detection or if using low bitrate mode. It just won't lock the file in a special folder.

G-sensor sensitivity will be different for different sized vehicles and would ideally need a wide range of adjustment. A bump to the door on a Miata is more easily detected at the front unit than a bump on a passenger door of a sedan or SUV.

A duplicate frame every 92 on the rear camera may be an annoyance, but really only if you just sit and watch all the footage from the rear cam. Who does that? I'm not trying to make Omni Max quality videos to post on social media with my dashcam, not many people do. I rarely watch my videos from the cam, and if/when I do I'm pretty much skipping through or watching at 2x speed until I get to the event I am looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Back