Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

I have never mentioned Joe 384. Who is he?

The Trump bit is to sort of me comparing you & your voice with dashcams and him and a wall Mexico way. Both not needed, and everyone is sick to the hind teeth of reading about it.

I'm sorry but I despair...

I have never mentioned Joe 384. Who is he?

The Trump bit is to sort of me comparing you & your voice with dashcams and him and a wall Mexico way. Both not needed, and everyone is sick to the hind teeth of reading about it.

It is really too bad that Trump is in your head so much that you need to bring him up in a dash cam forum. That is rather pathetic... In all the time I have been on forums such as this, I've never seen someone do that.You should seek some help.

I hate politics. We have Brexit going on here, and I don't read the news about that even

I was just trying to find someone that most people don't like (unless your a Republican (I had to google that to see if he is one or if he was a Democrat - I truthfully didn't know).

My point is - you seem to be passionately trying to make your point by linking thread after thread in the past to say say the same thing.

It's so unnecessary - everyone knows you're disappointed - it is all over the forum. We just don't need reminding every time we log in.

It's one thing not caring about what goes on in your country and ignoring important issues such as Brexit for the Brits. It's quite another to throw politics into a "non political forum" such as this. That's just inappropriate, period!

If you know the issues and arguments that are being brought up in these threads, and they offend you, you can simply do like you do with your British politics and ignore them...

Dude - I could have used Huawei phones and America banning them just as easily as Trump and you.

Or the moon landing conspiracy and that it did or didn't happen.

Or aliens.

Get a grip.

Dude - I could have used Huawei phones and America banning them just as easily as Trump and you.

Or the moon landing conspiracy and that it did or didn't happen.

Or aliens.

Get a grip.
For a guy who claims he hates politics and avoids all news of such in his own country, you sure try to pretend that you know a lot about our politics... when in fact, you sound rather clueless.

Perhaps you should get back on the topic of Viofo dash cams or take a hike!

Don't answer that. I've blocked you and reported you. Again.

Goodnight.

So is this dashcam worth buying? Does parking mode work? Skim-reading this thread, people are saying this does not work and parking mode is one of the key features I want when purchasing my first ever dashcam.

Parking mode in low bitrate mode works fine for me. Records 24x7. I have never tried the collision detection in parking mode, lots of things could happen that do not include a collision anyway. Low bitrate is likely to capture them approaching and leaving and records sound as well.

So is this dashcam worth buying? Does parking mode work? Skim-reading this thread, people are saying this does not work and parking mode is one of the key features I want when purchasing my first ever dashcam.

To answer your question, "Parking Mode" only works partially. If you are hoping to have the "g-sensor" go off when someone/something bumps into your car from the side (initially out of view of your camera), you are "out of luck"!!! This does not work with the Viofo Dash Cam. Viofo told me personally that they would fix this problem by the end of August. - - They did not fix it! Incidentally, this problem goes all the way back to February 2019, so it's clear Viofo is in no hurry to fix the feature that many customers like you, me and many others place at the "top of the list" of importance.

Btw, they told Sdeel7491 they would fix the g-sensor problem in October... they still did not fix it and we are half way through November. - - So, bottom line is "the G-sensor function" in parking mode does not work, period with the Viofo dash cam.- - What do you miss out on by it not working??? - - Well, if something/someone hits your car in a place you don't normally walk-by and inspect everyday, you could have some damage to your car that you are clueless about. - - If the g-sensor function was working properly, you'd have a notification video in your Read Only folder (RO). You would not have to sift through hundreds of videos because it would have been marked and saved for you. - - That's what most people would like to have happen with a G-sensor feature in parking mode.

If by chance you made a discovery a day(s) after someone damaged your passenger-side quarter panel, you could go through hours and/or days of video in your regular "movies folder" looking for the "damage incident" which by the way is not protected from being overwritten. If you waited too long, any video of someone/or something near your car just may have vanished!

The automatic "motion detection" parking mode is pretty much useless. It will go off if there are trees blowing 100 yards behind or in front of your camera. So, you will have the cam detecting stuff all day long, every minute practically.

So, you raise a good question. Which cam should you use if you want "the best parking mode"... I believe someone in the past has said Blackvue, Thinkware and Mini0906. Incidentally, I've attached a video of what the Mini-Q9 does. It's cheaper than the Viofo. I don't believe it does "motion detection" (but Viofo doesn't do that well either). - Go to video time - 4:00, to see first event; go to video time 4:55 to see the 2nd g-sensor triggered event. - Viofo's dash cam will not trigger at all like the events you see on the video. - - Incidentally, if you do not consider g-sensor as being important as shown in the video, the Viofo dash cam may be just fine for you, with the limitations I mentioned above.

On top of getting the best "Parking Mode" dash cam, it would behoove you to try to get a company that offers "good customer support"...Vifofo does not do so!!! Look at Valkyrie's attached post pleading for replies from Viofo...their customer service is really lacking! Btw, Street Guardian which is represented by Jokiin on this forum has excellent customer support!

Good luck with whatever dash cam you decide on!

Attachments

• Valkyrie Can't Get Replies from Viofo.JPG
    Valkyrie Can't Get Replies from Viofo.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Parking mode works and records at either a lower bitrate or when motion detected, it's just the g-sensor (shock-sensor) isn't as sensitive as it should be to lock a recording into the RO folder that was triggered by an impact.

The most sensitive G sensor setting IMO, should be so sensitive high winds or a large vehicle passing by at speed will set it off.
And i also think that should possible with the hardware in use with this camera.

I use low bitrate Parking Mode and have pulled multiple incidents off it with no issues

Incidentally, I've attached a video of what the Mini-Q9 does. It's cheaper than the Viofo. I don't believe it does "motion detection" (but Viofo doesn't do that well either). - Go to video time - 4:00, to see first event; go to video time 4:55 to see the 2nd g-sensor triggered event. - Viofo's dash cam will not trigger at all like the events you see on the video. - - Incidentally, if you do not consider g-sensor as being important as shown in the video, the Viofo dash cam may be just fine for you, with the limitations I mentioned above.
this function only starts recording after the event has happened, you may have a reasonable idea of what might have set it off based on whatever appears in frame a few seconds later, but you still have no proof

At best it is still a work in progress. If you like tinkering and troubleshooting, then you may like it. If you just want something that works without testing and retesting, then you might be disappointed. There are several different types of parking modes, so it is probably best to acquaint yourself with them first, and then choose a dashcam based upon the level of parking mode which satisfies your needs. For some parking modes, there are also auxiliary battery systems available to help power your dashcam for longer periods of time when the car is off without negatively effecting the life of your car's battery, and at least one manufacturer even has a radar sensing module to start recording before g-sensor activation and only saves the recording if g-sensor is actually triggered, but I cannot vouch for whether it works properly either. So the more you know going in, the more satisfied you will likely be after installation.

Personally I would like to see the dashcam makers finally realize that there are a plethora of reliable very-low power security alarm system sensors already available on the market, and provide one or two ground trigger inputs to their dashcams -- one of which would trigger power-up and activation of a recording buffer, and the other which would trigger saving everything in that buffer, plus for a configurable period of time afterward. Then their dashcams would be much more adaptable to our needs, and the feature would possibly be a competitive advantage for them. (In other words, why should we have to rely upon a single g-sensor built into the dashcam mounted high up on our windshield, when we can mount a shock sensor in the front and/or rear, a radar proximity sensor, a tilt sensor, glass break sensor, or even allow the siren of our alarm system to trigger recordings too? -- or whatever combination of options best suits our own personal needs?)

As others have said, it depends on which parking mode you want to use. The g-sensor mode, to me at least, seems like a silly idea. Some a-hole can so easily key your car without setting off the sensor, for example. This is why I prefer to just record constantly.

For me, the only time I would even consider using a g-sensor setup is if I wanted to record for a very long time, with no ability to change the card during the time period.

I started with the lower frame rate version, which worked fine, except no audio, and Registrator Viewer got a bit confused (but still worked fine). I then switched to low bit rate mode, and this works fine as well.

If you've read this thread, you'll know there are some posters who will point out with a passion the flaws with the cam, and if those flaws will affect you, then you need to consider that.

The issues I've had have been resolved by knowledgeable people posting here, and I currently have no issues with my cam.

Would I buy another one for myself or family members? If the a129 was still the good value proposition it was when I bought mine, yes I would.

Back