Disappointing Quality

Here's a new video after i cleaned the A119 v3 lens and windshield.
Not much of an improvement?

@HonestReview @VIOFO-Support

1. I can actually read the plates now (numbers and Ontario) along with road signs. I say that's a heck of a lot better.
2. Please take a photo of how the camera is mounted on your windshield.

I think a lot of the remaining issue has to do with glare. But let's see a picture of how camera is mounted first.

One way to deal with glare is get a matte surface cover that goes over the dash board. Otherwise, you get a lot of reflection from the dashboard onto the windshield. I have the exact same issues. I imagine Cars that have leather dashboards have far less an issue than plastic ones.

Last edited:
Comparing the cameras side by side it seems the Viofo A119 V3 gets a lot more glare than the mobius. It's more of a camera design.

I haven't been following this but does the V3 have a CPL ?

Here's a new video after i cleaned the A119 v3 lens and windshield.
Not much of an improvement?

Same as Necromancer, your lens is out of focus.

This a 100% crop from one of your video frames when your car was stationary. You should not see halos on the car in front, and anything beyond 5m away is out of focus.

The front edge of your dashboard is in better focus, which is a sign that the focus point has shifted closer to the camera. This can happen when the camera is hot, and sometimes fixes itself when it cools down.

I agree with Nigel & others that the modified FW is not helping. It is set to low contrast with the shadows lifted quite a lot, which exaggerates the dashboard glare.

20210824165444_001334.MP4_20210825_093101.710.jpg

Comparing the cameras side by side it seems the Viofo A119 V3 gets a lot more glare than the mobius. It's more of a camera design.
It likely has more to do with the lens position relative to the windshield (windscreen). Distance from the glass can make a big difference in the amount of glare/reflection.

It likely has more to do with the lens position relative to the windshield (windscreen). Distance from the glass can make a big difference in the amount of glare/reflection.

Have to agree. Both cams use quality M12 lenses so it has to be a position-based problem. Close does not always equal better with this; the least reflections I've had with my old van were with the cam mounted farthest from the windshield. Others experience the opposite effect. It just varies and about all you can do is reposition the cam, use a CPL, add a dashmat, or some combination of these.

Phil

The lens looks like it's out of focus. I've gone through 4 of these in a row to get one where the lens is mostly in focus. On 3 of them the lens was out of focus on only part of the lens, which is a defect of the lens itself. The quality control is either quite poor or I just have bad luck.

If the entire thing is equally out of focus (which yours looks like to me) then you can take it apart and try to refocus it yourself. Be warned they use a LOT of glue on the threads for the lens and it's really annoying to remove so that you can adjust the focus.

How is it in your video's HonestReviews The A119V3 seems more clear and more able to read plates THAN the Viofo A129 pro 4K dashcam
Have you got video caption's WRONG

How is it in your video's HonestReviews The A119V3 seems more clear and more able to read plates THAN the Viofo A129 pro 4K dashcam
I think HR only has a 1080 resolution A129, it is definitely not a Pro 4K model.

A119 V3 is a very good dashcam.

The A129 Pro I believe has heat issues according to reviews. The A129 Duo is very good. Has a good night video, too. I believe the A129 Duo Plus (2k) would probably be the better step up. As the 129 Pro (4k) doesn't seem to have the same reliability.

I am very happy with the A129 Duo. I've owned two of these and never had either cause a problem. It is probably one of the most reliable cameras on the market, albeit they are 1080p. With the Duo Plus being 2k (front) and 1080p (rear). The Duo Plus had good reviews, but I own the regular 1080p 1080p duo.

The A129 Pro I believe has heat issues according to reviews.
If you want it to work 24/7 parked in hot Californian sun with all the windows tight shut then yes, it will shut down during hot periods, but if you are in Canada then it is not a big issue for most people if it occasionally shuts down over midday for self protection.

There are a lot of people very happy with it, and it has been independently heat tested:

As has been seen amongst us here, heat levels in a car can vary considerably for a number of factors. If you need high-heat reliability for parking you're probably not going to find that in any 4K cam and not even in many 2K cams. A lot of 1080p cams don't fare well in the heat either :( If this really matters to you then it has to become the sole criteria for cam choice, overriding any other wants or needs. From the short list that will leave you to choose from you might got some of the other features you want.The A129 Pro ain't going to be on that list; it's a really good cam but limited in what heat it can handle.

Just know that with dashcams none will handle every heat level- I've had a Mobius with supercaps fail in the heat a few times and there are no better cams for high heat than that one. Seek out experiences from owners who have used the cam(s) you're considering in the way you want to use yours from the hottest locations you can find. We've got members here from a lot of very hot parts of the world and you should see what cams they find work best for them and go with those. Approaching the matter any other way will likely end up in disappointment.

Phil

It sounds to me that for parking mode or just left outdoors someone needs to develop a camera that sits in the centre of the car, out of the suns rays and glass heat.

It sounds to me that for parking mode or just left outdoors someone needs to develop a camera that sits in the centre of the car, out of the suns rays and glass heat.

I sort of did that with my Mobius install as seen HERE. It actually worked quite well :cool: Of course every car and what is suitable to the owner will be different, but with enough thought given almost anything can be done suitably well. Except for winning the lottery, something I keep thinking about which just doesn't seem to happen :LOL:

Phil

Here is the biggest problem I see.
If you have a hit and run and dashcam does not pick up tag what good is it?

Sometimes you can get a partial plate number which can be matched to the type of car seen in the vid, and that might lead you to the runner whose car will have the matching damage.

No cam can always get them all, but it's going to be better than having no cam where you always get nothing. The better the cam the better your chances are ;)

Phil

Back