Disaster

I agree that USB connectors, especially mini-B and micro connectors are a deficient solution for dash cams but I think a better solution might already exist. I wonder if dash cams could perhaps benefit from the use of a Cat5 or Cat6 connector at the camera even if USB is still the protocol with USB-A on the other end. It would be secure and efficient and already designed for repeated unplugging and plugging, plus it is already capable of handling as many wires as a dash cam cable might require. I don't know if such an idea is wacky or doable but the current approach has always been problematic. A Cat5 connector (as used in CCTV cams) would be similar to a BNC connector as also used in CCTV cameras in that once connected it is securely installed until the user wishes to uninstall and such an approach or similar would be useful in a moving motor vehicle.

This makes me think of a post I saw on Twitter recently where some guy points out that fire hydrants world wide have used the same basic hose connectors that have been in use for nearly 200 years. A much more efficient and faster solution would be easy to implement that could save lives and he tried to interest people with a Kickstarter campaign but few were interested.

I'm at work at the moment and won't be able to do further testing until tomorrow's daylight. Am skittish abut using any other power supply than the one original cord that is still working, so testing will be done outside at the car. Will update with progress.

The points raised about the scratches on the top of the units are valid, but to a point. Many times I am plugging these back in on the side of the road in the dark and just feeling around for the socket. OK, fair enough. But I also plug many USB things in this way repeatedly, my phone, Jetpack and video cameras to name a few with an order of magnitude more plug/unplug cycles than my dashcams.

I'm at work at the moment and won't be able to do further testing until tomorrow's daylight. Am skittish abut using any other power supply than the one original cord that is still working, so testing will be done outside at the car. Will update with progress.
included power supply is always preferred, anyway let me know how you get on once you've had a chance to check it out

Direct-to-pin power connection was no good for both cameras. Looks like a confirmed 3-camera loss.

The PCB separation camera was a V1. The 2 other dead cameras are a V3 (December 2018) and a V1. At this point I have 2 working power supplies, so I only need 2 of those. The last remaining operating camera is a V1.

The PCB separation camera was a V1. The 2 other dead cameras are a V3 (December 2018) and a V1. At this point I have 2 working power supplies, so I only need 2 of those. The last remaining operating camera is a V1.
please message me your full name, address, contact number and email details

I am happy to report that I'm fully back up and running with 4 working cameras thanks to @jokiin replacing the 3 dead ones via DHLExpress! Above and beyond customer service with Street Guardians!

I know of no better Customer Service than Jokiin's Street Guardian. (y)(y)(y)(y)

Yeah the good service are equal to many - many dollars spent in googles commercial machine, and its great help in having things sell them self.

Back