Discrete two piece dashcam with covert Remote lens (for maximum stealth)

Just a connection type, for this purpose I don't think there would be any difference to performance offered

so, technically mini- and micro usb they both can transfer 1080p/30fps/15mbps + at the same time operational functions options as well like if there will be button on the camera, which user can operate some functions ( micr on/off, etc ) ?

Not sure, I know for what we were looking at it would work for a rear camera but not for front if we wanted the extra functionality

Not sure, I know for what we were looking at it would work for a rear camera but not for front if we wanted the extra functionality

Strange, why it works for rear, but can not fully work at the same time for the front? I guess limitations comes not from cable, but from main unit ( dvr ) hardware ?

HDMI cables are better, shielded against video crosstalk etc and the connectors are much smaller, the cat 5 solution is newer though and still needs a bit of sorting, connector size is a negative for the cat 5 solution

FWIW, Cat5/Cat6 cable and connectors are available fully shielded. Although connector size might be considered an issue for our purpose, RJ45 connectors tend to be almost completely recessed into the device once connected.

The connector on the cable is not that big, the socket it plugs into is overly big though which is more of a concern

The connector on the cable is not that big, the socket it plugs into is overly big though which is more of a concern

to me, most practical small size socket is micro-usb. Plug and socket parts are small, which does not take that much space on camera unit and allows to make camera unit smaller.
Also micro-usb having those two "teeth" allowing for more strong and firm connection to device.
I had many time my phone dropped from the desc when same time it was charging via micro-usb port and in ALL cases phone didn't disconnect ( unplug ) from micro-usb port of charger plug, - it was strongly hanging ;)

Good connector, not enough wires though

so, micro-usb plug / cable can not be used as all-in-one purpose: for video + audio + operational functions ?

so, micro-usb plug / cable can not be used as all-in-one purpose: for video + audio + operational functions ?
Do not need to worry that part. Just as jokinn mentioned, gps cable need extra.
But gpas can install by other cable. G sensor can be install at main machine.
Technically, it has no issue.
Just curious, are really people like it?

Been away for a while here, but reading the thread it seems the choice comes down to using more than one cable or adding functionality/ interface to the front unit to concentrate the various functions into the one physical data stream. I dare say this will add cost (& size) to the unit?
Of course another option is to have all these as separate units, but then it defeats the object (imho). Personally I would choose the option of using 2 cables if it was workable, anymore I think would be wrong.

Thinking about this a little further, a great many CCTV cameras on the market today are supplied with a short length of permanently installed cable (perhaps a foot or so) with the connectors at the end for power/BNC/Ethernet. Something similar may be the solution for Ethernet connection on small remote IP cameras. Having an inline connection module along the cable run would be similar to the ferrite choke found on some analogue dash cam cables, only smaller. This would avoid having to squeeze an Ethernet socket into a tiny camera module.

Last edited:
Do not need to worry that part. Just as jokinn mentioned, gps cable need extra.
But gpas can install by other cable. G sensor can be install at main machine.
Technically, it has no issue.
Just curious, are really people like it?

There are hundreds ( - thousands ? ) of posts in this forum or from Russian forums, where people want maximum discrete installation of dashcam system.
Thats why one of the Top rated ( most talked about ) dashcams on this forum is Mobius. Also mini 0801 as well is very popular. Why ? - first of all because of the size and of course quite good performance vs price !
But still even Mobius and Mini 0801 despite being one of the smallest good dashcams offered at this time, - there are few drawbacks with them as well if comparing to ( future ) high-end remote lens multichannel dashcam system.

- The main point is that people want to have recording device as small as possible for stealth install, so it will be very hard or nearly impossible to see from outside.
- Second reason is afraid of leaving expensive devices in the car that may attract thieves.
- Also, there are more and more people "getting lazy" ( convenient ) , like me;), - tired to mount / dismount 2-5 ( 10 ? ) times per day their dashcameras every time they park car, taking device along with them in order not to be stolen.

So there are plenty of proof for manufacturers what do really "western market" need.

Just few minutes ago another member ( @speedman ) expressed similar idea on Mobius forum ( HERE ) that me and many other on this forum and other forums ( @ Russia ) are shouting about, but for some reason non of the manufacturers don't want to listen :confused:.

@speedman wrote:

after months and months of reading, i finally bought the mobius to attempt a stealth installation with the 8" lens extension.
I really wanted a dash cam for a long time, but just kept on waiting for more models with a remote/extended lens ... but seems like all new models that are being released still hang on to that "everything in 1 package" style.

It's not only him or me, but for long-long time many others share same idea. So there is a big demand on such systems, big gap in the market, and the first manufacturer who comes out with 1, ( 2, 4 ? ) channel REMOTE lens system that we discussing here, - this manufacturer will have success and buyer will be happy.

Of course system should be high-end performance, high quality made, with no "cutting the corners".
People are ready to pay fair price for high-end systems, so I guess price is secondary factor for educated dashcam users who already went trough hard experience of buying first 50usd, then 100-120 usd, then 200 usd dashcams and still not 100% happy. So they are ready to pay more money for the right product !

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the LEDs and button could be on the GPS unit?

Also a good idea !
I do install aftermarket car multimedia dvd-gps systems and most popular place to mount gps antenna is at the top A pillar and windscreen corner. This would be a perfect spot to reach with hand to that "Magic button" and to view LED-status, because in some cars if mount remote camera behind rearview mirror, - not always you can see LED status. Also, if LED will be blinking from GPS antenna ( even to outside ) - this is acceptable by me, - it will be serving as deterrent to the thieves. But I do not support LED mounted to camera unit and blinking to outside ( like in Korea and China they like ), - this attracts attention to thieves. But if blinking in the corner ( on the GPS unit as you recommended ), then it will look like alarm-LED ;)
I support your idea !

Thinking about this a little further, a great many CCTV cameras on the market today are supplied with a short length of permanently installed cable (perhaps a foot or so) with the connectors at the end for power/BNC/Ethernet.
Having an inline connection module along the cable run would be similar to the ferrite choke found on some analogue dash cam cables, only smaller.
The bulk of the connector would then be on the run across the top of the windscreen making it difficult to tuck behind trim.

Also a good idea !
Also, if LED will be blinking from GPS antenna ( even to outside ) - this is acceptable by me, - it will be serving as deterrent to the thieves. But I do not support LED mounted to camera unit and blinking to outside ( like in Korea and China they like ), - this attracts attention to thieves. But if blinking in the corner ( on the GPS unit as you recommended ), then it will look like alarm-LED ;)
I support your idea !
I think we largely agree, but as is often the case, different people have (slightly) different expectations:rolleyes:
Many cars (the last 4 I have owned ) already have LED flashers to indicate alarm status. imho having another is just advertising there is 'something' in the car that may be worth breaking into to find...Of course it could likely be disabled (when in parking mode?) to lessen the chances.
As an example, I've had one car broken into apparently just because I had a GPS antenna in the lower corner of the screen. In reality, it was part of a cabled system to connect an Ipaq(remember them?). The only thing taken was a spare cigarette lighter PSU in the glovebox worth around £4 at the time, plus of course the cost & hassle of repairing the window etc.
Given the choice & dependant on the size it could be shrunk to I would rather a single integrated unit on the screen, if not then make it(them) as inconspicuous as possible.

- The main point is that people want to have recording device as small as possible for stealth install, so it will be very hard or nearly impossible to see from outside.
- Second reason is afraid of leaving expensive devices in the car that may attract thieves.
- Also, there are more and more people "getting lazy" ( convenient ) , like me;), - tired to mount / dismount 2-5 ( 10 ? ) times per day their dashcameras every time they park car, taking device along with them in order not to be stolen.

It's not only him or me, but for long-long time many others share same idea. So there is a big demand on such systems, big gap in the market, and the first manufacturer who comes out with 1, ( 2, 4 ? ) channel REMOTE lens system that we discussing here, - this manufacturer will have success and buyer will be happy.

Of course system should be high-end performance, high quality made, with no "cutting the corners".
People are ready to pay fair price for high-end systems, so I guess price is secondary factor for educated dashcam users who already went trough hard experience of buying first 50usd, then 100-120 usd, then 200 usd dashcams and still not 100% happy. So they are ready to pay more money for the right product !
I think you are preaching to the largely converted here. I & I suspect many others here I want pretty much the same as you.
I think the manufacturers are mainly catering to the 'casual' purchaser who responds to the latest scare story in the news. As such it dumbs it down to the 'one box, one cable' solution. Will be interesting to see if 'our' needs or the 'simple' version produces the greatest sales & hence profits. thankfully there are the likes of Jokiin to (eventually) please us:D

I'd do one now if I had the resources, I know the market is there for it
Well, you have (yet another) customer here ready to buy when you do release something. Going by your latest it will be worth waiting for.
In the meantime I will be playing with a mobius & extension to try an idea or 2.
Out of curiosity, do you see your single device, or the multi cam version being the more successful? (don't expect you to disclose any commercial sensitivites here).

Back