niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Hi,
Want to share some of my ideas on how to install / mount your dash camera discreetly behind rearview mirror using DIY bracket.
As a sample pictures I have used DOD LS400 and LS300 series dash cameras, but this idea can be used on most other dash cameras as well.
DIY bracket is not fully finished, only quickly done to show how it can be done. Need to cut, sand bracket edges and paint in black, using plasti dip or any other proper black colour.
Bracket along with dash camera can be attached to windshield permanently with 3M / double-side tape, or using magnetic pad for quick mount / un-mount ( user choice )
Pictures and video is for demo info, which hope you will find useful for your dash camera bracket ideas.

P.S. - I have one fully finished project where I am using magnetic dash cam mount. Will share it soon to give an ideas how to implement magnetic mount solution on other dash camera mounts.

Attachments

• a11.jpg
    a11.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 941
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 932
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 927
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 922
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 918
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 922
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 913
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 911
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 911
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:
Re: DIY Bracket for Dash Cam discrete installation behind mi

I find that rather ugly and inconvenient, I just clip out of the suction one when I need to remove my cam

trouble for me is the perminant nature of it! sometimes its nice to ...you know...remove the cam from the screen to get to the sc or connections or swap vehicles or security when in gangland :roll:

tbkonwso1 said:
I find that rather ugly and inconvenient, I just clip out of the suction one when I need to remove my cam

I agree with you, as it stands - it's a little bit ugly .... but,

1. Have you read what I wrote ?
2. Have you watched a video what I said ?

I specifically stated that this is unfinished quick sample project with my ideas on how it can be done. I did this bracket for 5min upon request of one user from this forum to get some ideas.
There are few variations on how to finish design of this type of mount, size of mount, finishing, style etc.
My idea was to give forum members ideas, which they can implement and develop / change to their own requirements in order to get best possible mount solution to install dash cameras discreetly behind rearview mirror in cars where there are not enough space between mirror and windshield and where standard accessories brackets / mounts does not allow this type of discreet install.

You said you just you clip out the suction mount in your dash cam, but I am more than sure, that with suction mount your dash camera is NOT discreetly mounted behind the rearview mirror and not blends in with the mirror, - that was main reason of this topic.
You said "inconvenient"? - not true ! - you did't watch my video, I stated there ( and in my pictures ) that instead of double-side tape it is possible to use magnetic pad for quick mount / un-mount.

So next time to judge somebodies effort on sharing ideas, - please read and review all additional info added.

silver999 said:
trouble for me is the perminant nature of it! sometimes its nice to ...you know...remove the cam from the screen to get to the sc or connections or swap vehicles or security when in gangland :roll:

Not true @ "permanent nature" ! You probably also ( as previous comment ) did not watch pictures properly and did not watch video. I showed in my picture and said in my video that instead of 3M double-side tape can be used magnetic pad for quick attach / detach.
I have few other ready made DIY dash camera mount projects made where I have used magnetic pad attachment. Will post them within 1-2 days, so you will be able to combine ideas form this topic and upcoming one.

No one is knocking your idea, I think it's great for people to dyi.

Yes I watched your video

But as every forum people will voice their opinion on what works or not.

Aluminum is not ideal for mounts because it would make the video much more shaky.

But like you said it's for mock up and testing so it's fine.

I would make a u bracket that use the existing rear view mirror mount as a support to hide my camera. But I don't have the need to because I can just detach and put the camera in my bag when not being used.

Using a magnet pad still requires a permanent sticker, on the windshield which most will probably refuse to do.

tbkonwso1 said:
still requires a permanent sticker, on the windshield which most will probably refuse to do.

why do you say that?

tbkonwso1 said:
No one is knocking your idea, I think it's great for people to dyi.

Yes I watched your video

But as every forum people will voice their opinion on what works or not.

Yes, every useful ideas on how to do something better are welcome.[/quote]

tbkonwso1 said:
Aluminum is not ideal for mounts because it would make the video much more shaky.

I did not use aluminium. I have mentioned in the video that I have used galvanised steel about 0.6-0.7mm. Look at many car GPS devices or radar detectors, - they are using similar type metal / steel.
Regarding material used its up to any person who will decide to to similar DIY project for his car / dashcam specifics. I was just proposing an idea and as mentioned earlier, this was quick demo built. You can not do better within 5min tame. For full final proper finish need couple of hours.

tbkonwso1 said:
I would make a u bracket that use the existing rear view mirror mount as a support to hide my camera. But I don't have the need to because I can just detach and put the camera in my bag when not being used.

Believe me, I would do the same, but I went trough many cars and even more dash cams and it is very hard to find dash camera with factory made proper mount / bracket that will allow you to install dash camera discretely in your car behind rear-view mirror where there is very ( I repeat: ) very limited space. My 1 year ago favourite dash camera with such good mount / body / case design was Itronics ITB-100HD, but even that one would not fit in some cars behind mirror, because of limited space.

tbkonwso1 said:
Using a magnet pad still requires a permanent sticker, on the windshield which most will probably refuse to do.

I don't think so, but this we leave to decide to other people.
Magnetic pad can be mounted on the rearview mirror sunshade using black double-side tape, - this way it is not visible from outside.
Below I did another quick DIY sample project to show how 3M double-side permanent mount / brackets can be converted into removable quick attach / detach solution. Works great for me with no complains:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2169&p=22216#p22216

Last edited by a moderator:

Get some 3M Twinlock (Dual lock) tape and use that an you can take it off as many times as you like Its what I use

Hillbilly said:
Get some 3M Twinlock (Dual lock) tape and use that an you can take it off as many times as you like Its what I use

Yes, also a good idea, much better and more reliable than velcro.

That may work as well standard thickness of the 3M Dual Lock is up yo 5mm when locked.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376302961.556069.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376302961.556069.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 354

Please note that 3M Dual Lock have to types.
- all whether (clear) like the one on photo above. It will hold in high temperature and direct sun and outdoor.
- Havy-Duty (black) is good for indoor use will not hold in high temperature.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376303421.418878.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376303421.418878.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 352

Zuntax said:
- all whether (clear) like the one on photo above. It will hold in high temperature and direct sun and outdoor.

I have always used the clear high temp one and its never let go even at 110F in Las Vegas last year

Have my 350 attached to the plastic across tail door in my wagon and it hasnt let go either

Cost $20 a metre here in Aussie We cant buy it in the shops I get it off 3M

Hillbilly said:
Zuntax said:

I have always used the clear high temp one and its never let go even at 110F in Las Vegas last year

Have my 350 attached to the plastic across tail door in my wagon and it hasnt let go either

Totally Agree no other product can hold anything in car, 115F that was outside the car, inside the car was amount 150F minimum that was three weeks ago New York.

Zuntax said:
Hillbilly said:
Zuntax said:

Totally Agree no other product can hold anything in car, 115F that was outside the car, inside the car was amount 150F minimum that was three weeks ago New York.

Yep was that hot in car at 10 am I had to direct aircon onto steering wheel as couldnt touch it. Tape was solid as

I know we want dashcam's as stealthy as possible but If you try to go to high, you risk having the dashcam lens in line with the dirty part of the window. (where the windshield wipers can't reach) I like to keep my windows clean but they get dirty fast!

I'm shopping for a dashcam for my SmartCar Brabus. I want to try and mount it just below the dirt line.

Here is a photo of my Smart Car's dirtline. (don't mind my friends cluttered garage) I held up a USB cable so you can get a feel for how small the Smart's mirror actually is.

XllLL3Fl.jpg

Here is another photo with the mirror taken off and windshield wiper frozen at the dirt line.

BMNpKRwl.jpg

Different cars, different solutions. In your car case you are right, going too high is no good. Best opition would be to blend in with a mirror in the middle ?. I guess it is possible in your car ?

niko said:
Different cars, different solutions. In your car case you are right, going too high is no good. Best opition would be to blend in with a mirror in the middle ?. I guess it is possible in your car ?

I stepped back to think about it with the KISS approach. (keep it simple stupid) Maybe I just get longer blades to clear the middle better! I'm researching now.
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... post586946
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... post586954

EDIT: One person said I can replace my OEM 23 1/8in and 21 2/8 blades with two 24 inch blades. (24" on both sides) They are on order now, hopefully those extra inches wipe away the dirt near my mirror better. (resulting in a clear DashCam path any way I mount it)

I'll post new pix :) If it's a success all my options are open then.

Last edited by a moderator:

I just added two 4" Bosch (amazon deal) blades today (24" on both sides). It helps clear up the middle parts near the mirror a bit higher. (not much but a bit) They both go up/down no problem. I don't detect any extra drag. It should make my DashCam install to easier with more clear glass to choose the best spot.

Here is the after. I should have left the same mirror part on for reference but you can still tell it's higher if you pick out the remaining common parts of before/after pix.

Fhcs20dl.jpg

vkoCMkil.jpg

Very good that new blades helped a little bit, but you do not have to worrie of maybe not recording clearly whole sky ( not everyday you can see meteorites falling down ), - most important that your dash camera will get good clear shot of the action on the road.
By the way, what dash camera do you have or planning to buy ?

Back