DIY Swivel Mount?

rgbdct

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking at three-channel dashcams, specifically the VIOFO A139 and VIOFO T130, and while I prefer the A139 in most ways, I like the way the interior-facing camera on the T130 can swivel to face the window.

Has anyone tried or does anyone have any ideas for mounting a fixed interior-facing camera on some sort of swivel or hinge so it can be angled in different directions? Any tips for finding something that works well for this, or reasons to not do it?

I've found this post that seems to show what I'd like to do, but I'd also like to see what other people have to say.

I’ve been experimenting for a while.
But all failed attempts.
Maybe you’ll see something that will spark your imagination.
First video is a demo, second is in action use.
-Chuck

-
-

Might be a bit of work but you might be able to file off the pertruding piece on one of these 3m mounts and stick the interior cam to that?

1661111210902.png1661111301191.png

Might be a bit of work but you might be able to file off the pertruding piece on one of these 3m mounts and stick the interior cam to that?

View attachment 61563View attachment 61564
There's also a lot of magnetic swivel mounts like that. I could just ignore the magnet and glue the camera to the wide flat surface the magnetic swivel mount provides.

I found this one as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00QSFKJ8E I could buy two of these and connect them back-to-back.

That also brings up 1/4-20 camera mounts. Since there's any number of mounts for cameras that end up in a 1/4-20 screw, if I can find something that has a 1/4-20 threaded hole that I can glue the camera to, it should work.

Has anyone tried or does anyone have any ideas for mounting a fixed interior-facing camera on some sort of swivel or hinge so it can be angled in different directions? Any tips for finding something that works well for this, or reasons to not do it?

One very easy solution would be to buy a camera that comes with a simple ball joint mount and simply mount it backwards facing the interior.

@Skylar132 's suggestion would not be difficult either. I've designed and built a number of custom DIY windshield mounts using modified parts from pre-existing dash cam mounts. There are many possibilities if you have some DIY skills and a little creativity.

One solution I used one time that is very simple and works quite well is to epoxy glue a 1/4-20 threaded hex nut directly to a strategic spot on your camera (depending upon the camera as to where to place the nut, of course) and now you can mount the camera on ANY mount that has a tripod screw.

I happen to have one of those iSaddle mounts that you linked and they are excellent. I've recommended them here on the forum. They are really well made and very secure once you adjust and tighten them. I don't think it would be the best mount for your project however because it would be awkward and difficult to adjust each time you want to change where your camera is aiming. You would want a simple mount that can be easily turned from side to side without it going off in multiple directions each time you loosen the thumb screw as the iSaddle mount will because it has multiple articulation joints for adjustment that all loosen at once when you loosen the screw.

Last edited:
@Skylar132 's suggestion would not be difficult either. I've designed and built a number of custom DIY windshield mounts using modified parts from pre-existing dash cam mounts. There are many possibilities if you have some DIY skills and a little creativity.
Good points in that thread about making it low-profile. That's another thing to consider.

One solution I used one time that is very simple and works quite well is to epoxy glue a 1/4-20 threaded hex nut directly to a strategic spot on your camera (depending upon the camera as to where to place the nut, of course) and now you can mount the camera on ANY mount that has a tripod screw.
Here I was thinking of using something like this or this to have more surface area to glue to it, but a hex nut would definitely work if you're using a more permanent adhesive like epoxy.

I happen to have one of those iSaddle mounts that you linked and they are excellent. I've recommended them here on the forum. They are really well made and very secure once you adjust and tighten them. I don't think it would be the best mount for your project however because it would be awkward and difficult to adjust each time you want to change where your camera is aiming. You would want a simple mount that can be easily turned from side to side without it going off in multiple directions each time you loosen the thumb screw as the iSaddle mount will because it has multiple articulation joints for adjustment that all loosen at once when you loosen the screw.
It looks like the force holding it in place is just plastic-on-plastic friction, so could it not be turned without loosening the thumb screw by just pushing it hard enough?

Here I was thinking of using something like this or this to have more surface area to glue to it, but a hex nut would definitely work if you're using a more permanent adhesive like epoxy.

There's no reason you couldn't use a 1/4-20 thumbscrew like in your links. It would depend upon which camera you want to mount one on and how you plan to attach it. Such a mount would certainly give you more surface area for glue or 3M VHB tape.

I used a large hex nut because I happened to have some on hand and there was no cost involved. Also, it was discreet and fit the camera I used it on quite nicely.

It looks like the force holding it in place is just plastic-on-plastic friction, so could it not be turned without loosening the thumb screw by just pushing it hard enough?

No, you would not be able to turn it without loosening the thumbscrew. When I said "They are really well made and very secure once you adjust and tighten them.", there was a reason I underlined the word "very". Once you tighten the thumbscrew all the way it will NOT budge, even a little bit. It's impressive, as the whole thing becomes like one solid, immovable object. I have yet to ever see another dash cam mount that is as rock solid as the iSaddle once you get it adjusted the way you want and I've had experience with dozens of them.

Last edited:
One very easy solution would be to buy a camera that comes with a simple ball joint mount and simply mount it backwards facing the interior.

I happen to have one of those iSaddle mounts that you linked and they are excellent. I've recommended them here on the forum. They are really well made and very secure once you adjust and tighten them. I don't think it would be the best mount for your project however because it would be awkward and difficult to adjust each time you want to change where your camera is aiming Junk Removal Lake Stevens WA. You would want a simple mount that can be easily turned from side to side without it going off in multiple directions each time you loosen the thumb screw as the iSaddle mount will because it has multiple articulation joints for adjustment that all loosen at once when you loosen the screw.
I've had cup/swivel mount tweeters which made playing with aiming handy. Surely perfect fixed baffles have better SQ, but with the way most on the forum like to change drivers and play around it would be fun to develop some diy swivel mounts to switch drivers in and out.

You could make a slightly oversized mount in a kick or A-pillar (1inch to 4inch) and switch out tweets and or mids to your hearts content. The resourceful folks here could certainlyt develope, modify or find something.

I've had cup/swivel mount tweeters which made playing with aiming handy. Surely perfect fixed baffles have better SQ, but with the way most on the forum like to change drivers and play around it would be fun to develop some diy swivel mounts to switch drivers in and out.

You could make a slightly oversized mount in a kick or A-pillar (1inch to 4inch) and switch out tweets and or mids to your hearts content. The resourceful folks here could certainlyt develope, modify or find something.

In January I created a DIY project intended for mounting a wedge shaped dash cam to ANY commercial mount that has a 1/4-20 threaded tripod mount which can easily be aimed in any direction and/or swapped between vehicles but such a platform design could be used to mount anything that can be attached to a flat surface.

Back