Do I need anything else to go along with my Mobius?

CHC

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just put in an order for a Mobius and a capacitor battery. I am relatively literate with tech but I am not sure what to expect. In my car I have a cigarette port in my center console and a USB port in my stereo. I am not very saavy with assembling/disassembling my car, so I was hoping to wrap the cords/wire along the passenger side into the USB port. Do I need some time of extender for the cords that are provided with the Mobius?

Also, is there a highly suggested mount outside of the one provided with the Mobius? I reviewed the thread where people do a lot of DIY, but I was wondering if there was just a cheap alternative that I can purchase. Thank you very much for your time!

Good choice. A few hints & tips...

1. Mobius is supplied in just sufficient packaging to protect it in transit. No fancy box, no manual, not even a 1 page quick start guide*. The cash has been spent on a good quality Japanese lens, etc, not on fancy packaging.

2. Before it arrives I suggest you download the Windows GUI & Owners Manual from...

http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/index.html

They're both the work of @Isoprop who contributes at this site, for which we are fortunate.

3. Insert the memory card contact side up ... same side up as the camera heat sink. Use your finger nail to insert it beyond flush with the slot ... until it clicks home.

4. Use the GUI to set the cameras parameters to your preference. Don't click on 'Set Parameters' until you've visited all 4 setting pages.

5. Don't install the capacitor until you've used Mobius with the battery for a few days, & are satisfied that everything's working well.

6. Try not to attach Mobius to the windscreen with a suction or adhesive mount. The mount alerts thieves to the presence of something worth stealing, & negates the otherwise discreet / stealthy nature of this tiny camera. For mounting solutions see...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-mounting-solutions.2654/

7. Aim Mobius so that approximately only 35% of the image is above the horizon, as more may result in the video being generally underexposed.

8. If a fault arises after the Warranty expires, you don't have to throw it away. Unlike the typical DashCam, Mobius is purpose designed to be easily dismantled, & all parts are readily available. It's repairable not disposable

* but see http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobius/MobiusQuickStart.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
...I have a cigarette port in my center console and a USB port in my stereo ... I was hoping to wrap the cords/wire along the passenger side into the USB port. Do I need some time of extender for the cords that are provided with the Mobius?

The basic Mobius package includes a short data cable, cradle, a lens cap & lens adjustment tool.

If you're mounting Mobius adjacent to the rear view mirror, you'll need the optional 3 metre cable to run behind the roof lining, behind the A pillar trim & behind the dash trim to the accessory socket, where a 5V 1A (minimum) USB adapter is required.

I'm not sure if the stereo's USB port can supply enough current.

Last edited:
The basic Mobius package includes a short data cable, a lens cap & lens adjustment tool.

If you're mounting Mobius adjacent to the rear view mirror, you'll need the optional 3 metre cable to run behind the roof lining, behind the A pillar trim & behind the dash trim to the accessory socket, where a 5V 1A (minimum) USB adapter is required.

I'm not sure if the stereo's USB port can supply enough current.

Would you possibly be able to point me to exactly what I need outside of the 3 meter cable? I was able to locate that fine on BangGood but do not know what I'm exactly looking for. I'm assuming I need some type of adapter that goes into the cigarette port? Thanks a ton.

Would you possibly be able to point me to exactly what I need outside of the 3 meter cable? I was able to locate that fine on BangGood but do not know what I'm exactly looking for. I'm assuming I need some type of adapter that goes into the cigarette port? Thanks a ton.

Here is one example. You can find this in many places including ebay. These are also available in 2 port versions. Make sure you get a 2 amp version if you get a 2 port adapter. There is also a version (shown in the next reply) that is more stealth. It connects to a 12 volt wire without the cigarette lighter being used at all.
[

Last edited:
Back