DOA Viofo A119S

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front A119 , Rear A119S v1
Received my Viofo A119S for the rear window today, noticed corrupt last file and also unit shuts down immediately after vehicle being turned off. Front Viofo A119 from 8 or so months ago works fine still.

Disconnected the hardwired usb power cable and ran another usb power cable to cigar lighter socket and supplied usb plug in back of truck to 12v vehicle cigar outlet, still same issue. So defective capacitor? Or could it be that the system can't handle two Viofo A119 cams on at same time lol? [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

swap the cams front to back to confirm you don't have a power supply issue, if you still get that instant shutdown it's a sign of a capacitor fault, in that case send it back for replacement

swap the cams front to back to confirm you don't have a power supply issue, if you still get that instant shutdown it's a sign of a capacitor fault, in that case send it back for replacement
Hi jokiin, hope you are ok fella. How would swapping thr physical cams over change anything? I ask since i even used a different usb power cable and 12v dc socket.

For ****s and giggles i even unplugged the front one incase the system in my truck perhaps couldn't handle thr load of two Viofo cams on simultaneously. [emoji16]

Im going to take the cam out and use wife's car. She has nothing in her vehicle.

swapping the cams over to aknown working position is just to rule out any power loss from the long cable having any impact on the result, likely not but it helps to have done this when dealing with the retailer as you may get asked to perform some basic troubleshooting, if it still shows the same problem then it does look like you have a capacitor issue and it's RMA time, unfortunate but it does happen

Yeah, issue was i got it on "sale" plus used $15 gift coupon that i had to use before the 24th April 2017 hence why i bought it . So in total paid $64 for it.

Yeah, issue was i got it on "sale" plus used $15 gift coupon that i had to use before the 24th April 2017 hence why i bought it . So in total paid $64 for it.

getting a deal doesn't excuse the seller, they still need to look after you

getting a deal doesn't excuse the seller, they still need to look after you
Adorama have excellent service I'm sure they'll sort it out perfectly.

I normally buy from a vendor on here, infact my front Viofo A119 is from capture your action. But like i said i had a gift coupon which needed to be used :)

Good use of the discount :D but any mass-produced product will result in the consumer getting a few 'duds' in the process. Happens with everything and that's what warranties are for. Hope your RMA goes smooth and fast ;)

Phil

Have you solved the issue? If not you can contact us.
Now we check the capacitor issue before shipping for each camera.

Reactions: Mtz
I had a similar issue - I reflashed the firmware and that resolved it. No more corrupted last file or the unit turning off immeditately on power-off.

Thanks for chiming in but my solution was to send it back. No one mentioned reflashing til now.

I had a similar issue - I reflashed the firmware and that resolved it. No more corrupted last file or the unit turning off immeditately on power-off.

How many times did you reflash the firmware to get it to work? I got my A119S only last month and it shuts off immediately when I unplug it. :(

I assume that I have a bad capacitor, but it very occasionally will shut down correctly, not corrupting the last video. But most of the time when I unplug it, it shuts down immediately and corrupts the last vid.

I assume that I have a bad capacitor, but it very occasionally will shut down correctly, not corrupting the last video. But most of the time when I unplug it, it shuts down immediately and corrupts the last vid.
how do you have your camera powered?
are you sure it's not under powered?

you may try to reflash the firmware, I've done it a couple of times and it did help.

Last edited:
In my car: the long cable plugged into the cig adapter (both came with the dashcam).

In my house: the provided short cable plugged into a cell phone charger.

I just tried reflashing twice, the first time it powered on like normal.
The second time I flashed, it won't turn on any more. I've tried multiple cables and multiple wall warts to no avail. EDIT: panicked, reformatted sd card, and was able to get the camera to turn on and reflash the firmware. Have unplugged it without turning it off a few times, seems to shut down OK (for now, at least!).

Last edited:
Have unplugged it without turning it off a few times, seems to shut down OK (for now, at least!).
had to reflash 3.1b firmware today. :eek:
found my front camera unresponsive to any buttons push, the screen stays on, the LED on (I have it disabled at all times) and no recording. :eek:
Lucky me I recalled ;) that I suggested to you to reflash the firmware ;) so I did it myself :) and my front camera is OK again! :)

Turns out that the combination of one of the 12v ports in my car + the provided adapter = bad shutdowns.
But if I use a different adapter in the same port, it's fine. Likewise if I use the provided adapter in a different port.
The provided adapter is more loose than any of my other adapters. :/
(Doesn't explain why I was getting bad shutdowns when I was powering it in my house... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Guess I'll look into hardwiring lol

Back