does anyone know why dashcam does not come with IR cut filters?

I have made a camera to film thru my rifle scope, and that at night shooting rats, and i have learned a few things.
1: you really do need a light sensitive sensor, any old sensor with the IR cut filter removed will not do it
2. if filming thru a scope, all the glass in it eat up light too, more so if you use the optical zoom of the scope
3: you need a good strong IR light source, i use a rather bulky 10 W zoom able 840 mn light, but you can go smaller if you use a really sensitive camera sensor.

I have also made my own set of night vision goggles, using a 700 TVL board camera, and a cheap set of FPV goggles, but this is also "active" goggles so you still need a light source to see anything.
It is what it is, not least leaps and bounds cheaper than a full blown night vision goggle.
This goggle have 2 inputs, so i can switch between goggle wide angle camera to the rifle camera, this is nice, even if you sit on your ass and just wait for the rats to stick out their heads.

For shooting today you can also get pretty nice night scopes, even 4K ones, with a build in recorder too, but they are still rather expensive, not least when you don't shoot that much.

Back