Downloaded video does not play properly

Joe-H

Reaction score
Country
United States
My first dash cam and first post. Rexing V1P, card is Kingston canvas Go! Plus 64gb. Open card with desktop PC, get a list of video files all about 1 minute I think. When I open a file with VLC media player, which is the only video program on this PC I get either a still shot that jumps ahead 5 seconds (or more) at a time or a mostly gray screen with some bits of picture in it. rexing screen shot.png

So I tried copying the whole card onto the PC and try again. No change, still some bits of the actual recorded travel, but not moving as a video, still shots jumping forward interspersed with the gray screen like above.

I tried to upload one of the 1 minute segments onto here but no go, too big. What to do? I put one on youtube and it's a video that is working, so is it something to do with this PC or ? Next step, uninstall VLC media player and download latest version. No joy, not when I play one it's all black screen except for occasional video still shots, still no moving video.

Here's one on youtube
so I know the camera is working, but why won't it show up on my PC? Download a different MP4 player maybe?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Joe H

My first dash cam and first post. Rexing V1P, card is Kingston canvas Go! Plus 64gb. Open card with desktop PC, get a list of video files all about 1 minute I think. When I open a file with VLC media player, which is the only video program on this PC I get either a still shot that jumps ahead 5 seconds (or more) at a time or a mostly gray screen with some bits of picture in it. View attachment 68256

So I tried copying the whole card onto the PC and try again. No change, still some bits of the actual recorded travel, but not moving as a video, still shots jumping forward interspersed with the gray screen like above.

I tried to upload one of the 1 minute segments onto here but no go, too big. What to do? I put one on youtube and it's a video that is working, so is it something to do with this PC or ? Next step, uninstall VLC media player and download latest version. No joy, not when I play one it's all black screen except for occasional video still shots, still no moving video.

Here's one on youtube
so I know the camera is working, but why won't it show up on my PC? Download a different MP4 player maybe?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Joe H
Looks like it's something to do with your PC there if you can upload it and it has no dropped frames or the like.

I know some folks swear by VLC, but I've had issues with it over the years myself even if the hardware I'm playing the video on is pretty current with the times. Have you tried downloading an alternate player like Kodi to see if that works?

What format is the recorded footage in as well? You may run into issues if it's something like H.265, and also check what codecs your PC supports.

You may run into issues if it's something like H.265
Correct.
Imagine if it was AV1.
Welcome to my compatibility nightmare.
"Death to H.265 & AV1 for dash cams" lol

No joy, not when I play one it's all black screen except for occasional video still shots, still no moving video.
Welcome to the club.
If it turns out your Rexing is using the H.265 HEVC Codec instead of the H.264 your PC will most likely never be able to play files from your dash cam reliably.
It will most likely be cost prohibitive to re-configure your current PC with enough horsepower to play H.265 files.
If you're within the 30-day return period of the Rexing, you may want to return it, and consider getting a Viofo.

Agie, found another player that works. Downloaded a couple that didn't but Gomplayer was a free download and it works both video and audio. The VLC player worked for every video before, but something is different about these.

Thanks for your help, Joe H

Way past the 30 day return but I guess for now I've found the answer. I think a Viofo is on the list for one of the other cars.

Joe H

Agie, found another player that works. Downloaded a couple that didn't but Gomplayer was a free download and it works both video and audio. The VLC player worked for every video before, but something is different about these.

Thanks for your help, Joe H
No worries, VLC can be a bit funny with codecs and the like always has been which shouldn't be the case considering how long it's been around

As @Panzer Platform said, better to grab something like Viofo that has better compatibility

Back