'Eclipse' video

dash riposki

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Dash Cam
too many
I'm in an industrial park in Charleston, picking up a load.
The sky is overcast. Not sure any of the tourists who came to view this things saw much.
I've seen it get darker quicker in a bad thunderstorm. (And there was one approaching from the south)

I slapped this together quickly from the WR1, pointed a little toward the sun. (wherever it was)

:)

I'm in an industrial park in Charleston, picking up a load.
The sky is overcast. Not sure any of the tourists who came to view this things saw much.
I've seen it get darker quicker in a bad thunderstorm. (And there was one approaching from the south)

I slapped this together quickly from the WR1, pointed a little toward the sun. (wherever it was)

:)
Hi dash, I'm in Monrovia, Maryland! I experienced the same thing you did, I could see that the sun was not as bright (about 2 minutes or so) but but that was all, rather disappointed! I also have had thunderstorms come up quickly that would turn day into practically night on occasions.
Really liked the music you played for the occasion though.:cool:

During the totality it got too dark to work for about 2 minutes, then the sun's brilliance returned with quickness. The lead-in was long, slow, and unremarkable. I had the glasses this time and it was a most excellent experience compared to a pinhole box viewer which I used the first time round as a child. I was a little off the center line and worried that it might not be total but it looked perfect here with the moon exactly in the middle. Another unforgettable experience :D

Phil

I was expecting it to be darker.
I somewhat expected 'temporary nighttime'.
I didn't have the glasses, and not sure what you could see here on the coast with the heavy clouds, anyway?

Down there you were away from where perfect totality occurred so there was more light peeking around the edge of the moon. Still considered 'total' but the further you were from the center-line the brighter it was. Not quite like night here, but very late dusk and almost night. I saw a few stars, streetlights and solar walkway lights came on. Couldn't see to paint a window right in front of me. Got about two minutes of that then it was back to work.

Phil

It is funny how the size of the objects and the distances in between them line up so good, i am pretty sure the conspiracy people have a field day with that.

As i understand it the moon 100% block the sun itself, so what you see around the edges of the moon are just the corona of the sun.

Down there you were away from where perfect totality occurred so there was more light peeking around the edge of the moon. Still considered 'total' but the further you were from the center-line the brighter it was. Not quite like night here, but very late dusk and almost night. I saw a few stars, streetlights and solar walkway lights came on. Couldn't see to paint a window right in front of me. Got about two minutes of that then it was back to work.

Phil
I really wish I could have been in the correct position for seeing a full eclipse but from where I was it was only about a 3/4 eclipse according to the weather channel. The one thing I was looking for was how it effected the birds and animals. I don't have any animals, but the birds were totally gone from my place from about 7:30 am (when I started looking) till the next morning (Tuesday). For my home that is 100% different, normally I have birds constantly on my deck and in the yard every day like clockwork, but not yesterday. That was really weird!

...from where I was it was only about a 3/4 eclipse according to the weather channel...I have birds constantly on my deck and in the yard every day like clockwork, but not yesterday....
For the next one in 2024 the area of totality will be about 1.5 hours from me so I'm already planning my road trip. (y)

Noticed the same thing with the wildlife around me. We got about 83% coverage and everything pretty much disappeared for about 3 to 4 hours.

It is funny how the size of the objects and the distances in between them line up so good, i am pretty sure the conspiracy people have a field day with that.

As i understand it the moon 100% block the sun itself, so what you see around the edges of the moon are just the corona of the sun.
Since the moon is slowly moving away from the Earth it was completely inevitable that the distances would be perfect one day, it is just luck that we happen to live at the correct time, for our ancestors the moon was too big and hid the corona as well, for our descendants the moon will be too small and eclipses will never cause full darkness again. Conspiracy theories and luck don't work well together.

I traveled north from Salt Lake City to a place in Idaho that was the exact center of the line of totality -- where I was setup was within 100 feet of dead center. I brought 5 cameras with 3 shooting stills and 2 video. It got real dark during totality and 15 minutes before and after you could see the light getting dimmer then brighter. The weird thing is the twilight before and after did not feel the same as twilight at sunrise or sunset. I'll see if I can upload something in a bit...

Brian

Seem like our Texan friends will get a chance to shoot some hurricane footage soon,,,,,,,, take care guys.

And here's a video clip in 4K of the eclipse...

Brian
Hi Brian, thanks for posting that and telling what you seen and noticed. I wish I could have been their and seen it like you did, awesome!

Back