Downloading video from VIOFO app to iphone

strezz

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Hi,

I wanted to download video from the camera (it had around 1,5 GB) and it said at the end of the process "failed to save to phone, saved to VIOFO" - something like that. So the video is INSIDE the application, but I can't get it out of it to my phone. There is no export/share or something like that button. I can just view it. Workaround would be to screenrecord it, but that is ridiculous... I would like to move it later from my phone to computer, but it is inside the app and I can't do it. I was hoping iTunes will see the app and its media like for example VLC player, but it doesn't.

When I tried smaller video with around 500MB I had no problem at all. It just saved to my phone.

I have uploaded video on youtube for better idea:

Normally they appear in the photos app, and from there I can send it to my Apple computer with two clicks using the share button.

Maybe you didn't give the Viofo app sufficient permissions to access your photo library?

When I tried smaller video with around 500MB I had no problem at all. It just saved to my phone.
Doesn't make much sense why a smaller video would work, unless you are short of space for photos/videos.

Yes, exactly, they do, but only the shorter ones. In that case, everything is all right.

I was thinking there must be some timeout (it takes too long to download the video?). I think, it was around 4 - 6 minutes. Maybe if I would set the camera from 5 min loops to shorter, then it could be okay?

wanted to download video from the camera (it had around 1,5 GB) and it said at the end of the process "failed to save to phone, saved to VIOFO" - something like that. So the video is INSIDE the application, but I can't get it out of it to my phone. There is no export/share or something like that button. I can just view it. Workaround would be to screenrecord it, but that is ridiculous... I would like to move it later from my phone to computer, but it is inside the app and I can't do it. I was hoping iTunes will see the app and its media like for example VLC player, but it doesn't.

A much faster and more efficient method for transferring videos from your camera to your iPhone is to do it manually using an Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. You have to take your memory card out of your camera and insert it into the card reader using a SD card to microSD card adapter but after that the transfer is super fast for any size or number of files you want to move. I've always found this to be the best method and I keep my SD card reader in my vehicle in case I need it when I'm out and about.

Last edited:
Hi,

I wanted to download video from the camera (it had around 1,5 GB) and it said at the end of the process "failed to save to phone, saved to VIOFO" - something like that. So the video is INSIDE the application, but I can't get it out of it to my phone. There is no export/share or something like that button. I can just view it. Workaround would be to screenrecord it, but that is ridiculous... I would like to move it later from my phone to computer, but it is inside the app and I can't do it. I was hoping iTunes will see the app and its media like for example VLC player, but it doesn't.

I have uploaded video on youtube for better idea:
I’m confused.
Why don’t you just remove the SD Card from the camera, and insert it directly in your computer?

There is no export/share or something like that button. I can just view it. Workaround would be to screenrecord it, but that is ridiculous... I would like to move it later from my phone to computer, but it is inside the app and I can't do it. I was hoping iTunes will see the app and its media like for example VLC player, but it doesn't.

I've looked into this and found something really interesting.

I have files showing up in my Viofo app in the local storage area.
This usually means the files have already been downloaded to your phone, however if you have icloud enabled then these files might be residing in the cloud.

I ran a test and found I could play the video as long as I was connected to the icloud.

When i disable the internet the Viofo app can't play anything and just shows it trying to load the file. If you try a second time the app looks like it closes but it's just dropped from focus eg behind other opened apps.

The videos aren't on my phone I'm assuming because they will play when the internet is enabled.

Interesting little oddness lol

I've looked into this and found something really interesting.

I have files showing up in my Viofo app in the local storage area.
This usually means the files have already been downloaded to your phone, however if you have icloud enabled then these files might be residing in the cloud.

I ran a test and found I could play the video as long as I was connected to the icloud.

When i disable the internet the Viofo app can't play anything and just shows it trying to load the file. If you try a second time the app looks like it closes but it's just dropped from focus eg behind other opened apps.

The videos aren't on my phone I'm assuming because they will play when the internet is enabled.

Interesting little oddness lol
The app does use the internet to play downloaded videos, because it tries to display the GPS track on a map, and I assume the map comes from the internet.

I don't know what iCloud has to do with anything? Although if you have iCloud synchronisation turned on for your photos then your downloaded videos should end up uploaded to the iCloud. I don't think that should cause problems though, it should just happen when you next do have internet/wifi access.

Sounds like there is some sort of bug in the app, it should be able to play a video downloaded to the phone without internet access...

A much faster and more efficient method for transferring videos from your camera to your iPhone (or computer) is to do it manually using an Apple Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. You have to take your memory card out of your camera and insert it into the card reader using a SD card to microSD card adapter but after that the transfer is super fast for any size or number of files you want to move. I've always found this to be the best method and I keep my SD card reader in my vehicle in case I need it when I'm out and about.
Ha, true! I actually forgot about SD card inside the dashcam! Well, it should be easy then. I will just put it to my PC and see.

Ha, true! I actually forgot about SD card inside the dashcam! Well, it should be easy then. I will just put it to my PC and see.

Yes, transferring directly from your memory card to your PC is a always good option. Of course, it you want to transfer video files to your iPhone quickly and easily, the Camera Card Reader is a worthwhile investment. The app has its value but it is not the best for efficiently transferring video files.

Last edited:
Yes, transferring directly from you memory card to your PC is a always good option. Of course, it you want to transfer video files to your iPhone quickly and easily, the Camera Card Reader is a worthwhile investment. The app has its value but it is not the best for efficiently transferring video files.
Soon, I'll go to my car, so I will just take the SD card and put it into my adapter and transfer it directly to my PC (iPhone is not needed).

Soon, I'll go to my car, so I will just take the SD card and put it into my adapter and transfer it directly to my PC (iPhone is not needed).

OK, now I understand. Based on your initial post I thought your primary goal was just to get the files onto your iPhone but now I see that you want to get them off your camera and onto your PC, so taking the card out of the camera makes it easy.

I always keep a few plastic SD card cases in my vehicle to put the cards in when I take them out of my cameras and bring them into my house. This makes them harder to lose. ( which has happened! )

Last edited:
OK, now I understand. Based on your initial post I thought your primary goal was just to get the files onto your iPhone but now I see that you want to get them off your camera and onto your PC, so taking the card out of the camera makes it easy.

I always keep a few plastic SD card cases in my vehicle to put the cards in when I take them out of my cameras and bring them into my house. This makes them harder to lose. ( which has happened! )
It works perfectly. I just took whole camera with SD card from the car, because as you said - the card might get lost, but I won't for sure forget to put it back and take whole camera with me when I will go to my car.

So thanks to everyone

I don't know what iCloud has to do with anything? Although if you have iCloud synchronisation turned on for your photos then your downloaded videos should end up uploaded to the iCloud. I don't think that should cause problems though, it should just happen when you next do have internet/wifi access.

Let me help you to understand then. lol.

iCloud does have an impact in this situation.
Any videos on my phone will end up in the icloud over time and the ones that aren't played very often only leave a redirection thumbnail is seems so any programs like Viofo's app can still find them.

The app can still see the file thumbnails and mistakenly believes the files are local even when iCloud is disconnected. This causes complications when the app tries to play back the files, as it may wait indefinitely, crash, or time out. (I’m not sure which, as I didn't wait long enough to find out.)

Of course if the internet is connected the file will come back to the phone but depending of the file size and the speed of the internet connection may take longer than most want to wait.

@viofo may want to take a look at how the app behaves when handling files that are offloaded to the icloud.

Back