DR650S-2CH night time, rainy conditions

Andeeeeeee

Reaction score
Country
Australia

A lot of lens flare, and towards the end, can't see the plate directly in front due to reflections. Anyway to fix this?

Would mounting the camera higher up help? (it's currently at the bottom, since there's no room top center..)

I don't recall ever noticing this on my DR650GW. I believe the DR650S has a different lens than the DR650GW, and since the DR650S is a new model, I don't know if there anyone with a similar experience already.

There is another user that has an issue with focus in the center of the image, could it be the same issue? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dr650s.20342/

Looks good to me, and normal. Vehicles' tags in lanes to the left and right are easily readable.
Vehicles in front of you, tags are washed out by glare of your headlights on their tags.

A lot of lens flare, and towards the end, can't see the plate directly in front due to reflections. Anyway to fix this?

Do have this problem before. Not really totally eliminate the issue but somehow reduce. What I do is try and error. It is all user preferences. First as per one thread in this forum is to point the cam lower. One click of the cam is about 9.47 deg (don't ask me how I get this - 38 slots for 360deg, so 9.47 deg plus minus). I try to lower it down and check the result. Well need to adjust it until you feel comfortable or accept that position is the best. Then, try to wash your windshield with mild soap and water. No chemical washer. Mine reduce tremendously. I hope this works on yours. Cheers....

Took the car out for a test again tonight, it wasn't raining
Less flare on the street lights, but still had glare on the plate in front of me.

Tried mounting the camera at the top of my windscreen, helped mildly. I guess I can't fix the problem. Should be ok, I guess.

excellent during day, though!

Please post a before and after with the filter and without :)

edit: also, would use of such filters make night time video unbearably dark?

Last edited:
Here's some day and night time footage from mine, I ended up cancelling my Lukas T790 order and getting the new Blackvue DR650S-1CH as it was on sale.

Day time footage seems acceptable, not very sharp or detailed. Night time is quite average imo, very noisy and pixelated which makes it hard to see any detail. At the moment I'm a bit disappointing watching cameras half the price producing far better quality video. I hope this is going to be fixed up with a firmware update or something, otherwise I'll probably be selling it in future and getting something else.

All videos recorded in 1080p @ 30fps in "highest" video quality. (10Mbps)

Last edited:
Seems like the 500GW was better.

Screen cap of my 500GW while stopped at a red light. I doubt my 650 is this sharp.
zistc6.jpg

OP's video looks pretty sharp but yeah that headlight reflection is definitely a challenge, especially with a taller vehicle.
Would be curious to see side by side raws of DR650S-2CH and DR650GW-2CH running the V2.005 firmware...
Don't have time right now to do the test myself unfortunately

Back