DR900S-2CH Initial Impressions

VR - I (and certainly we) really appreciate your selfless efforts in testing this model and any testing of it yet to come. I'm a bit conservative so hope to read your further reviews and those from others post-release also before I buy the DR900S (my first dashcam). However just from the photos you've posted here (and some videos I've seen), I may very well be convinced enough already that paying $100 more (above the cost of the DR750S) would be a more-than-wise decision, especially if identification of objects, vehicles and/or plates is critical. Because ultimately, who knows when it will or won't be....? Anyway, keep up the good work and thank you for your (and all contributors') enlightenment! - Mike

Vortex, can you please check and confirm (if can) whether CPL for DR750-2CH will fit and work onto DR900S-2CH? I’m thinking of buying the front and back CPL for my upcoming DR900 (using the DR750 CPL). The shipping will be slow and so I’m thinking of ordering the CPLs now. Thank you!

Also, I’m looking forward to your in-depth review for DR900S and B-124. I wonder if B-124 have advantages over Cellink Neo (such as usb port, faster charge, LED lights to quickly show how full the battery is, etc).

Edit: Vortex, can you also comment if the battery can recharge under cold conditions (can you use some kind of a freezer lol at Target or somewhere LOL)?? I know based on 112 reviews Blackvue’s battery under perform under winter conditions.

Last edited:
Also, I’m looking forward to your in-depth review for DR900S and B-124. I wonder if B-124 have advantages over Cellink Neo (such as usb port, faster charge, LED lights to quickly show how full the battery is, etc).

I also noticed any reviews or YouTube vids from any source on the B-124 were conspicuous in their absence; so I second any request for same.

Pretty sure the b124 and Cellink are one in the same. If you want it to charge faster (9 amps) it has to be powered off a fuse. Off a cigarette lighter plug it charges at 5 amps. I’ve had the NEO since I think January when it first came out and all the plugs, switches etc look the same as on the b124. Probably just rebranded for blackvue.

Now I’m just waiting on the expansion packs to become available. I’m going to add one more pack to my NEO for sustained parking mode. Now we just need firmware updates, especially for the DR900S, that allows for 256gb cards. Imagine their price from blackvue though, lol.

My concern for B-124 is they don't charge under cold conditions as the B-112 is infamously known for that. However, B-124 is cheaper (by a few bucks) than C-Neo. I'm one of those people who likes all of my "ecosystem" the same (i.e. all Apple, blackvues, etc). It's just my preference. Although I'm curious what VR will say regarding B-124...he usually has one of those "tips" or "tricks" or "what I found annoying..." that other reviewers lack. I was going to buy Cellink B until I ran into VR's video and found out the battery BEEPS each time he turns on/off his engine. This guy VR has an OCD of explaining little things that other reviewers rarely look at (some are important to me).

I was going to buy Cellink B until I ran into VR's video and found out the battery BEEPS each time he turns on/off his engine.

LOL, I saw that too just yesterday about the beeps. And he's RIGHT, OMG it WOULD be annoying. I mean you're supposed to own IT, not it, YOU! It steered me toward the Neo (but then, there's that nasty little bluetooth disconnect problem with THAT model (I guess we have to pick from the lesser of two evils).... Oh - the other thing is, in VR's video, he claimed that even on the cigarette socket, he was able to fully charge it from dead in something like 25 minutes. However, the reviewer in the official BlackBoxmywhatever video says it takes upwards of an hour and a half (!!!) to charge from a cig lighter. Um, that's a HUGE discrepancy. Perhaps VR can shed some light on this (I had separately planned on emailing BlackBox re this)?

Yeah it's interesting. I was basing the measurements off of the app. It was suggested that the app might be inaccurate. That said, once the battery went from dead to 100% in the app, I unplugged it shortly thereafter (maybe a few min after) and measured record time after that and it still gave me plenty of recording time.

Using the B-124 for the past few days, the recharge times of ~40 min at 9A does seem to be more in line with what I'm seeing in the app.
IMG_1092.jpg

The only real differences I've noticed so far is that the charging indicator seems to increase more smoothly and linearly, as well as the fact that there's an option in the Blackvue dashcam app that launches the app.

IMG_1059.jpg

How many expansion batteries does the Neo support? Just one? The Blackvue one can support multiple expansion batteries.

Otherwise, everything looks like it's a repackaged Neo. Same specs, capacity, etc. Both even have the same annoying Bluetooth nag when you exit your car.

IMG_1093.jpg

As far as charge times, I haven't done a full discharge yet from 100% - 0%, but here's the estimate from the app with powering my DR900S-2CH. (I think I have the cloud stuff enabled, but I'd have to double-check.)

IMG_1085.jpg

Wow! The DR900S-2CH is very nice!

I wander folks, if anyone of you have any of the BlackVue dashcams and any trouble with using an iPad Pro 12.9 ? I don’t have a computer anymore, just the iPad Pro & iPhone 8+, latest iOS, and pre-ordered the BlackVue 900S-1ch and will be using Wi-Fi mostly to update firmware and view videos. The new codec H265 might be and issue, but at least it will still have the H264, not sure. Do I have to change H265 to H264 in settings ? My first dashcam and I’m alittle nervous using it with an Apple product. Sometimes they don’t go well together.

Last edited:
Interesting Vortex, I’ve had my neo since I believe January and never once had that pop up occur. I’m on an iPhone X, always the latest version of iOS.

Oh that is interesting! I wonder what the difference is. There must be something I can do to get rid of that disconnect warning then.

I wander folks, if anyone of you have any of the BlackVue dashcams and any trouble with using an iPad Pro 12.9 ? I don’t have a computer anymore, just the iPad Pro & iPhone 8+, latest iOS, and pre-ordered the BlackVue 900S-1ch and will be using Wi-Fi mostly to update firmware and view videos. The new codec H265 might be and issue, but at least it will still have the H264, not sure. Do I have to change H265 to H264 in settings ? My first dashcam and I’m alittle nervous using it with an Apple product. Sometimes they don’t go well together.

There shouldn't be an issue. iOS 11 handles it just fine. Here's the option in the app to select H.265 from my iPhone 8.

IMG_1025.jpg

One interesting note.. if you go into your camera's settings, you'll see that the iPhone can also record in H.265/HEVC too.

IMG_1042.jpg

Thank you vortex. I saw the high-efficiency and most compatible listing, but was not sure if that meant H265 Codec or not.

To everyone who's concerned about the B-124 beeping at you, you can disable the beep alerts within the battery settings of the BlackVue Battery app.

To everyone who's concerned about the B-124 beeping at you, you can disable the beep alerts within the battery settings of the BlackVue Battery app.
And just to confirm for the Cellink Neo, you can disable the beeps in it as well from the app.

@Vortex Radar, thank you! I’m so glad I pre-ordered the DR900s. That camera looks like dash cam on steroids...expensive though. To me, DR900S wins gold and Viofo A119 Pro wins silver.

Wow the ThinkWare is not up to speed at all, hey.
Can't wait to see the full breakdown.. hope you include pictures of the cams lined up on your dash @Vortex Radar !

Wow the ThinkWare is not up to speed at all, hey.
Can't wait to see the full breakdown.. hope you include pictures of the cams lined up on your dash @Vortex Radar !

You bet. Here's a quick photo of them on my windshield. Sorry for the dirt on my windshield when the photo was taken. I was at the dog park. :D

IMG_1116.jpg

Back