DR900S-2CH Initial Impressions

This also underline ( i think ) that for dashcams the sweet spot for a plate capture are actually pretty small, the 4K do seem to enlarge that little sweet spot.
This is one reason i am so glad for my lens modified camera in the car, it and any of the other cameras i have on the windscreen make sure i dont miss out unless its circumstances where plate capture are mute anyway.
I feel like when looking at the footage from the 12 MM camera it is more a case of the car coming towards me when it hit the sweet spot on that camera Vs the regular cameras its more like the car pass buy me and their sweet spot are right before that happen.

Still i am pretty relaxed in regard to plate capture, i sort of have to be as i fear i would otherwise be damn frustrated with any camera and my gray hair count would just explode, and that's bad enough as it is.

It is a viable test method / subject, people just have to realize that what some tester get on his camera can be hard to replicate in your car as light levels can fluctuate a lot, at least if you dont have a clear blue sky.

The plate is clearly clearer with the 900 series.. But I think the trees etc in the foreground are clearer with the 750.

Mine’s pretty consistent at 15 with multiple clips. I’m not sure why there’s a disparity.
My whole 3 min video was of a heavy tree lined street, so maybe the bitrate was higher overall due to this.

not sure what they are using, it is still only V1.0 firmware though and a lot more potential there I would think

Generally I have been impressed with the visual quality of the DR900S, however one thing I have noticed with the videos on YouTube they tend display less contrast in the video to the point that tree foliage is a blur. Take the video screen view attached. Alternatively the video can be viewed at
This might be YouTube video compression however the foliage on the 750S is noticeability better defined. The bit rate could also be a factor as well! as I noticed this with my previous DR500 and DR600 they make foliage quite blocky when driving in a wood etc.

Attachments

• dr900s comparison.jpg
    dr900s comparison.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 57
Blocky foliage detail and the lack of any detail in the grass or road surface are generally due to using a low bitrate.

Blocky foliage detail and the lack of any detail in the grass or road surface are generally due to using a low bitrate.

as a best case scenario I would think 25mbit H.265 files (assuming 50% greater efficiency than H.264) @ 4k would be about equal to 12.5mbit H.264 files @ 1080p, assuming the encoding is that efficient, not sure that it is but giving the benefit of the doubt

To me, DR900S wins gold and Viofo A119 Pro wins silver.
Relating to something I posted just a little while ago, this really settles it for me, that the important factor in readability of license plates is resolution, not frame-rate. Observe that, from the image posted, the Viofo is right in the middle for both resolution and plate legibility.

Since getting my previous 900s replaced I am very happy with the results.

This is one reason i am so glad for my lens modified camera in the car
Exactly (1) what did you modify, (2) why (initially) did you do it, and (3) what effects did it have?

I have a Joovuu X cam with a 12 mm lens for long range detection of those things thats just a pixel or two on a regular dashcam.

I dont think i could live without a camera like that today.

I have a Joovuu X cam with a 12 mm lens for long range detection of those things thats just a pixel or two on a regular dashcam.
I dont think i could live without a camera like that today.
Thanks, and sorry, I thought post 402423 ("so glad for my lens modified camera in the car") was referring to a BlackVue. And I see you also have an SG. Is there a particular specific post or link/URL where I could find a complete list of everything you're using in your most highly camera-equipped car on an every-day basis? (cameras, mods, mounts, batteries, filters, monitors, etc.)

Back