DR900X Plus says shutting down and restarting when it powers up

Oh well clearly Blackvue is clueless. Very disappointed they can’t get this fixed after this long.

Oh well clearly Blackvue is clueless. Very disappointed they can’t get this fixed after this long.
Never fear. They monitor this site and will probably fix it in next release. Just format the sd if problem occurs.

Also, the fix was probably not scheduled in time for release 1.0.0.4.

Never fear. They monitor this site and will probably fix it in next release. Just format the sd if problem occurs.

Also, the fix was probably not scheduled in time for release 1.0.0.4.
I just ran a test with my DR900X-2CH Plus dash cam running firmware 1.004 with a 128GB SanDisk Max Endurance microSD card with it being 100% full (386k free to start the test). I was able to boot the DR900X-2CH Plus and let it run for several minutes and then I powered it down and then powered it up again and it power up correctly (no rebooting). The total test lasted about 12 minutes.

I checked the microSD card after my test and I found that 26 new video files had been created during the test period and the oldest 20 video files had been removed with a total of 1024 video files present in the \BlackVue\Record directory. I then re-installed the microSD card in the DR900X-2CH Plus dash cam and booted it again. It booted properly and started recording in normal recording mode.

I wonder if there is some firmware setting difference that triggers the behavior you're seeing with your dash cam.

I just ran a test with my DR900X-2CH Plus dash cam running firmware 1.004 with a 128GB SanDisk Max Endurance microSD card with it being 100% full (386k free to start the test). I was able to boot the DR900X-2CH Plus and let it run for several minutes and then I powered it down and then powered it up again and it power up correctly (no rebooting). The total test lasted about 12 minutes.

I checked the microSD card after my test and I found that 26 new video files had been created during the test period and the oldest 20 video files had been removed with a total of 1024 video files present in the \BlackVue\Record directory. I then re-installed the microSD card in the DR900X-2CH Plus dash cam and booted it again. It booted properly and started recording in normal recording mode.

I wonder if there is some firmware setting difference that triggers the behavior you're seeing with your dash cam.

I am hoping it's not an issue with my cellink B battery pack. But everything was working fine with my previous Blackvue 750 and with previous 900x firmware.

I will pay more attention to this next time and check sd capacity before formatting.

I removed the 256GB SD, formatted with the Blackvue software (empty now), downloaded firmware v1.0.0.4 again, moved my config file back to the sd card. Inserted into the camera and let it update again.

Afterwards, I went on a long drive to run some errands.

I always turn off the WIFI (white led off), so I can tell if the camera reboots. I observed at least 4 reboots (white led back on), so it may not be an SD capacity issue after all. After my drive the SD is only 11% full.

Looking at the files, I can also see I am missing recordings and hear the "Blackvue" boot prompt in the next file. I need to check my wiring, the fuse I tapped, my Cellink B and maybe test with the cigarette adapter instead.

It's also winter and very cold, so not sure how that factors into everything.

I scrolled through folder and noticed 12 odd files with the wrong date and time. My testing was only on 4/2/2022.

10 of the files are corrupt and won't play and 2 have a video timestamp starting at 4/2/2022 20:50:33, but file date of 5/2/2022.

I am guessing these are orphaned files that get saved on bad reboots.

2022-02-05_15-24-08.jpg

I formatted the SD again using the Blackvue desktop application and downgraded to firmware 1.0.0.0 as a test.

I also checked my tapped fuse location, all wiring and that Cellink B was FULL power.

At some point while sitting in my car I heard "Check SD Card" and the camera rebooted.

Looks like the issue my be caused by one of these:
  • Camera has issues with 256Gb sized cards.
  • Camera has issues with certain SD brands.
  • Formatting the SD using the Desktop application (and not the in camera) introduces issues.
  • Firmware code issue.
  • Hardware issue.
I will revert back to firmware 1.0.0.4 and format the SD inside the camera and monitor again.

If that fails I will try a 128GB SD (or smaller) and a different brand. My 128GB Lexar 663x worked fine in previous blackvues.

Day Two driving with 128GB Lexar 663x and firmware 1.0.0.4. No reboots or issues today. (y)

Just got my Lexar 256GB 1066x SD today. Fingers crossed. :sneaky:

Hopefully it's not a 256Gb SD compatibility issue. :unsure:

I just ran a test with a 256GB microSD card with the DR900X-2CH Plus. I formatted the microSD as FAT32 on my computer. I booted the DR900X-2CH Plus with the fresh microSD card and it initialized and formatted the microSD card. I then let the DR900X-2CH Plus record in normal mode and switched to parking mode after five minutes with no motion. I powered down the dashcam and repeated the power up testing with a 10 minute runtime three more times and it stayed powered on with no unusual rebooting taking place.

Mine with WD Purple 256GB starts rebooting every 3 days of running 24 hours. I format it, then it reboots after 3 days. If I don’t format, it reboots once in a while. I also have 750X Plus with the same card, and the reboot interval is much longer, so I assume they both reboot when the cards start overwriting. 750X Plus is only one channel, and 900X Plus is 2 channels, so 4K + 2 cameras take lots of storage space.

I just ran a test with a 256GB microSD card with the DR900X-2CH Plus. I formatted the microSD as FAT32 on my computer. I booted the DR900X-2CH Plus with the fresh microSD card and it initialized and formatted the microSD card. I then let the DR900X-2CH Plus record in normal mode and switched to parking mode after five minutes with no motion. I powered down the dashcam and repeated the power up testing with a 10 minute runtime three more times and it stayed powered on with no unusual rebooting taking place.
What brand?

Mine with WD Purple 256GB starts rebooting every 3 days of running 24 hours. I format it, then it reboots after 3 days. If I don’t format, it reboots once in a while. I also have 750X Plus with the same card, and the reboot interval is much longer, so I assume they both reboot when the cards start overwriting. 750X Plus is only one channel, and 900X Plus is 2 channels, so 4K + 2 cameras take lots of storage space.

Sitting in the car right now.

Looks like the Lexar 256GB 1066x SD is working without issues. :D

Samsung micro sd sucks.

Glad this is finally solved.

What brand?
I had one 256GB card left in my supply (unused) and it's a SanDisk Extreme Pro. I don't normally use the SanDisk Extreme Pro in a dashcam, but for this test I wanted to see if the max capacity of the card was involved in the issue.

Sitting in the car right now.

Looks like the Lexar 256GB 1066x SD is working without issues. :D

Samsung micro sd sucks.

Glad this is finally solved.
Thanks for info. Please let us know if there is any problem afterwards. My WD Purple 256 was fine after Blackvue fixed the firmware issues (reformatting with startup), then after sometime, it started rebooting. It happens 2-3 days after formatting the SD card, and randomly if I ignore and keep using without formatting. I left 750X Plus as is, and it rebooted twice within 6 minutes right now.

My issue is not rebooting, but shutting down. Seems related though. I started a separate thread here and listed every detail and step

My issue is not rebooting, but shutting down. Seems related though. I started a separate thread here and listed every detail and step

Looks like the Lexar 633x and 1066x 256GB micro sd solved my issues.

Maybe the camera just needs faster rated sd for 4k and no issues. I see Lexar also has a V60 256gb.

Looks like the Lexar 633x and 1066x 256GB micro sd solved my issues.

Maybe the camera just needs faster rated sd for 4k and no issues. I see Lexar also has a V60 256gb.

But shouldn't the OEM Blackvue card work? I Have the same problem with it, even when downgraded the firmware

But shouldn't the OEM Blackvue card work? I Have the same problem with it, even when downgraded the firmware
Just because blackvue sells micro sd doesn't mean they guarantee compatibility with all their cameras.

They probably just buy the sd from sandisk or samsung, etc and stamp their name in it.

Plus whats the speed rating on them? :unsure:

Back