DR970X-2CH Testing & Review RCG

Received replacement 970x. When comparing the serial numbers, it was 10 digits difference. So the new one is definitely in the same batch as the old one. Good news, video quality is much better. I cannot see any discernible focus issues. Time was off again at first, but a few reboots got it back in sync. These 4k cameras cannot handle heat well, my first time ever having a dash cam turn off due to excessive heat, and it did not even reach 90 degrees today. I have a B130x in my car and from the app the battery temperature while inside of the car was just about 100 degrees, but the camera still turned off. Still debating on just going back to the 770x.

I received the replacement DR970X-2CH LTE dash camera. I just completed a test of the focus quality and I was disappointed again. The area in the sample footage sent to me by Pittasoft which was somewhat out of focus which I was hoping was due to the curvature of the test vehicle's front windshield, is just out of focus. The same area that was out of focus in the "recalibrated" DR970X-2CH LTE front camera. I put my DR970X-2CH on the same test rig and the video footage is in focus. The DR970X-2CH front is far, far better with regard to its focus quality than any of the DR970X-2CH LTE units I've received.

Here's a screenshot from two video players showing the right side of the image that is in focus in the DR970X-2CH (left) footage and out of focus in the DR970X-2CH LTE (right) footage. The details of the house across the street and the leaves on the tall tree are very good in the DR970X-2CH. The DR970X-2CH LTE video is somewhat out of focus on the lower part of the image and it gets worse the higher up you go in the image (leaves at the top of the tree are blurry). This test was performed with the cameras mounted to a test rig sitting on the top of the trunk lid of my car. No car window glass was present during this filming test.

1691348378839.png

DR970X-2CH Front (left) / DR970X-2CH LTE Front (right)
dr970x2ch_front_20230806_114426_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.53_[2023.08.06_12.05.38].jpg dr970x2chlte_unit2_front_20230806_112129_NF.mp4_snapshot_00.07_[2023.08.06_12.04.11].jpg

The rear camera (RC110F) received with this replacement DR970X-2CH LTE was also out of focus. In fact, all three rear cameras (RC110F) received with the DR970X-2CH, DR970X-2CH LTE (unit1) and DR970X-2CH LTE (unit2) are out of focus.

Rear RC110F camera received with DR970X-2CH LTE dash camera
dr970xlte_unit2_rear_20230806_112129_NR.mp4_snapshot.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I'm going to return the DR970X. As much as I LOVE the 4k quality, every time the sun is out and touches this camera it overheats and shuts down. At first it seems this was only happening in parking mode, which I thought I could live with. But I was just driving and looked up to see all the lights were out and it had overheated while I was driving which is a BIG concern for me. The last thing I need (and want) is to have something happen while driving and find out this camera was not recording. Back to the DR770X I go.

"Parking on/Parking off" problems, RMA and return. What is a "micom update"? I haven't had time to switch out my DR900X (I've got a spare) to see if fixed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-18 110738a.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-18 110738a.png
    767.5 KB · Views: 13
"Parking on/Parking off" problems, RMA and return. What is a "micom update"? I haven't had time to switch out my DR900X (I've got a spare) to see if fixed.
From what I can tell by some searches, MiCOM makes a variety of electrical relays and LTE components. Since this is a DR970X-2CH and not the LTE model, I'm guessing it may be a relay that was replaced (complete guess).

Well, whatever update they did at factory didn't work. "Parking On/Parking Off" repeating about 10 times after I shutoff the car. I'm going back to my DR900X. It looks better anyway. /frustrationOff

I give this camera 5/10. I have buyer's remorse for sure. This is not an upgrade to your existing DR750S/X, DR900S/X/Plus. Unless Blackvue comes up with some compelling firmware, Stay Away. Not recommended.

I've been seeing quite a few pushes to upgrade my DR900X Plus and the promo video at the header does look better.

It's interesting you say stay away, so I'm assuming the promo doesn't equate to real world experience? 5/10 is pretty poor for a camera costing as much as the DR970X.

I've been seeing quite a few pushes to upgrade my DR900X Plus and the promo video at the header does look better.

It's interesting you say stay away, so I'm assuming the promo doesn't equate to real world experience? 5/10 is pretty poor for a camera costing as much as the DR970X.
I started with the DR900S, then DR900X then DR970X. I'm committed to the brand because there are some really nice things. So far, stability. They all record just fine. Some quirks, but yeah. My disdain for the DR970X is this camera is not an upgrade to the 900X/Plus. It's heavily advertised with promises, but in the end, it's an out of focus, buggy camera. It feels rushed and unpolished.

I've got to RMA this DR970X once again. I'm going to reinstall my DR900X.

I started with the DR900S, then DR900X then DR970X. I'm committed to the brand because there are some really nice things. So far, stability. They all record just fine. Some quirks, but yeah. My disdain for the DR970X is this camera is not an upgrade to the 900X/Plus. It's heavily advertised with promises, but in the end, it's an out of focus, buggy camera. It feels rushed and unpolished.

I've got to RMA this DR970X once again. I'm going to reinstall my DR900X.
Thanks. I too have had several Bv cameras and I like the image quality in general, in fact that's the only reason I stay. Just the odd hiccup but not enough to change. My big complaints are with support, or rather lack of, and until this latest version the cheap and nasty mobile app. The latest version does seem better but I can't help wondering just when someone at Bv will start tinkering again and ruin what seems to mostly work.

Firmware 1.06 out for the 970XLTE. Anyone not able to connect to their camera via. the cloud since this morning?

Firmware 1.06 out for the 970XLTE. Anyone not able to connect to their camera via. the cloud since this morning?
I currently have the DR970X-2CH installed in my car. Thursday, I found that the BlackVue app was stating firmware version 1.006 was available for it. I updated it to 1.006. The BlackVue website still doesn't show any firmware updates available for the DR970X or DR970X LTE.

I just ran a test with the DR970X-2CH with the CM100LTE connectivity device. It was able to connect to the cloud. I was able to successfully access the dash camera from the cloud and a Live View worked. The BlackVue Cloud is working for my DR970X-2CH.

Screenshots from the firmware update:
1695484865329.png 1695484884158.png 1695484939266.png 1695484969756.png

Recke
I currently have the DR970X-2CH installed in my car. Thursday, I found that the BlackVue app was stating firmware version 1.006 was available for it. I updated it to 1.006. The BlackVue website still doesn't show any firmware updates available for the DR970X or DR970X LTE.

I just ran a test with the DR970X-2CH with the CM100LTE connectivity device. It was able to connect to the cloud. I was able to successfully access the dash camera from the cloud and a Live View worked. The BlackVue Cloud is working for my DR970X-2CH.

Screenshots from the firmware update:
View attachment 67691 View attachment 67692 View attachment 67693 View attachment 67694
Reckless driving, had to chuckle when I saw that ..

it my appears my 970X has issues connecting to my home WiFi on occasion. My home WiFi is an Orbi RBR 50. I had to turn off “private WiFi address” and “limit IP address tracking” in my WiFi settings on my iPhone in order to successfully connect to the dashcam directly in order to reinstall firmware 1.06 to get it to connect to my WiFi again. I could not access the cloud in Blackvue for 10 hours yesterday either via. home wifi or via. LTE when out and about. I checked with Vodafone who provide the smart SIM service and everything was working their end. I’ve reported this to Blackvue as I am getting sick and tired of these bugs.

I’ve reported this to Blackvue as I am getting sick and tired of these bugs.

In my experience, such as it is, the words "BlackVue" and "bugs" are synonymous. As for their support, that's no better. Good luck!

Thursday, I found that the BlackVue app was stating firmware version 1.006 was available for it. I updated it to 1.006.
Updated to 1.006 (DR970X-2CH). This might be why I have no response from Blackview.

edit: no changes. Error continues. BV is sending a new unit in exchange. I had no contact after repeated attempts for over 20 days. I am sorely disappointed.

Last edited:
Back