DR970X-2CH Testing & Review RCG

The out of focus issue is also plaguing the DR770x Series. Purchased a DR770X-1ch from BBMC and the quality is horrible. Unable to read license plates or street signs. BBMC has referred me to BV for support. Suprised BBMC cannot exchange or fix.
What’s going on with them I wonder? Is some disgruntled factory worker not doing their job and deliberately sabotaging the cameras?!. I’ve been emailing them and it is being raised to their technical team I’ve been told.

Surprised BBMC cannot exchange or fix.
@BlackboxMyCar is the most credible, upstanding dash cam retailer I've ever seen.
They have a 30-day return policy for defective items.
After 30 days, you must deal with the manufacturer.
This is standard procedure for all retailers.
Did you notice the out of focus issue after your 30 day return policy elapsed?
If so, you learned an important lesson.
Quality Control standards are non existent these days.
You are your own QC Inspector.
Test your camera before installing it in your car, (check focus as RCG described).

I urge you to file a warranty claim with BlackVue.
If you do nothing, and continue to use the out of focus camera BlackVue will not change their ways.
-Chuck

@BlackboxMyCar is the most credible, upstanding dash cam retailer I've ever seen.
They have a 30-day return policy for defective items.
After 30 days, you must deal with the manufacturer.
This is standard procedure for all retailers.
Did you notice the out of focus issue after your 30 day return policy elapsed?
If so, you learned an important lesson.
Quality Control standards are non existent these days.
You are your own QC Inspector.
Test your camera before installing it in your car, (check focus as RCG described).

I urge you to file a warranty claim with BlackVue.
If you do nothing, and continue to use the out of focus camera BlackVue will not change their ways.
-Chuck
I discovered this issue right out of the box. I am still within the 30 day period, which is why I was confused as to why I was referred to BV directly. But I called and got an RMA set up (still have to pay return shipping) but I'll pick my battles. I'm going to repurchase another DR770X from a different retailer, hopefully with better results.

I currently have a DR750X Plus which is also is blurry/out of focus slightly on the right side, but I learned to live with it. Recently though in hot weather everything starts to blur/out of focus and return to normal once it cools down. This is what prompted me to try out the 770x series.

I'm going to repurchase another DR770X from a different retailer, hopefully with better results.
Well thank goodness you'll be able to get a refund minus the shipping.
Amazon is the only retailer I know that has free returns.

I would encourage everyone with the out of focus issue to email their CEO and founder directly at hhur@pittasoft.com in order to highlight the issue and not to be “fobbed off”.

I would encourage everyone with the out of focus issue to email their CEO and founder directly at hhur@pittasoft.com in order to highlight the issue and not to be “fobbed off”.
Why not vote with your wallet?
Return the camera for refund, and try a different brand.

Why not vote with your wallet?
Return the camera for refund, and try a different brand.
I find this to to be a sleeker unit compared to the other bulkier brands. I want them to fix the issue. Surely this is possible!

I want them to fix the issue. Surely this is possible!
What you're asking for is reasonable, and makes perfect sense. It will never work. lol
You're basically asking people to do their job.
How would you like it if I came to your job and told you "you need to start doing your job better"?
You would tell me to sod off. lol

What you're asking for is reasonable, and makes perfect sense. It will never work. lol
You're basically asking people to do their job.
How would you like it if I came to your job and told you "you need to start doing your job better"?
You would tell me to sod off. lol
I really doubt every single dashcam they are producing in this line up is out of focus now and that’s just the way it is. This is probably a bad batch like I have said previously. It is not about them “doing their job better”, it’s about them just doing their job.

Yesterday, I received an email from Pittasoft stating the next batch of DR970X-2CH LTE dash cameras will be available next week. My contact stated he would pull a unit from that batch and test the focus of the front/rear cameras and then send it to me (if in focus). When I receive it, I'll do my focus check as well.

Yesterday, I received an email from Pittasoft stating the next batch of DR970X-2CH LTE dash cameras will be available next week. My contact stated he would pull a unit from that batch and test the focus of the front/rear cameras and then send it to me (if in focus). When I receive it, I'll do my focus check as well.
Excellent. That seems like a result and hopefully it will be fully in focus. Pittasoft are RMA’ing mine so I have to send it back to them.

Maybe normal 2CH as well. This happens daily on FW 1.004.

Maybe normal 2CH as well. This happens daily on FW 1.004.

I've had that "parking mode on/parking mode off" loop occur a few times over the past few years with a variety of BlackVue dash cameras. I've never been able to track down what triggers that condition. I have a DR970X-2CH with FW v1.004 installed in my car. I wanted to start checking it out until I get a DR970X-2CH LTE that has decent front/rear camera focus. So far, I have not had that occur with the DR970X-2CH dash camera.

Sorry for the topic hijack. It is driving me nuts.

As it relates to focus, I might have a "rare" in focus 970. It does look good. Not "DR900X/Plus upgrade" good, but decent. I still feel this specific DR970X-xx dashcam is NOT an upgrade to a 900S/X/Plus, so if anyone is on the fence to "upgrade", this dashcam is not it.

Sorry for the topic hijack. It is driving me nuts.

As it relates to focus, I might have a "rare" in focus 970. It does look good. Not "DR900X/Plus upgrade" good, but decent. I still feel this specific DR970X-xx dashcam is NOT an upgrade to a 900S/X/Plus, so if anyone is on the fence to "upgrade", this dashcam is not it.
Interesting. You’d wonder why they released it at all then? I note the only difference is the image processor? The chip used etc are they same. I’m sure there will be a 1000x at some stage which may be a major upgrade.

Good question. Why release it at all? I absolutely have buyers remorse because of lack of serious "upgrade". I feel, besides the image processor, the 970 could have been a FW update, rather than a wholesale model change.
Luckily, when (my hope) Pittasoft does replace my 970X-2CH, I have the 900X to fall back on.

Received the new DR770X-1CH today. Quality is much better! From my eye, I do not see any blurriness or anywhere that is out of focus. I got the camera from Amazon which listed 'Blackvue-Pittasoft' as the seller (if that means anything).

However I do notice that it makes my rear camera more saturated. It has a blue hue to it now. The first DR770X did this as well with my rear camera.

While I'm waiting for an "in focus" DR970X-2CH LTE dash camera, I have the DR970X-2CH (non LTE) installed in my car replacing the DR900X-2CH Plus dash camera. I don't have a CPL installed on the front camera since the DR970X-2CH LTE front won't be able to have a CPL filter (size difference of front camera). The auto selected settings for the rear camera result in oversaturated colors for the rear camera, but at least it's not underexposed like the DR900X Plus/DR750X Plus rear camera video (same model rear camera).

DR970X Front / Rear
dr970x_front_20230721_095620_NF.mp4_snapshot.jpg dr970x_rear_20230721_095620_NR.mp4_snapshot.jpg

Thinkware U3000 Front / Rear
u3000_front_REC_20230721_095537_F.MP4_snapshot.jpg u3000_rear_REC_20230721_095537_R.MP4_snapshot.jpg

Last edited:
Back