DR970X Test & Review PP

1 Minute Data File Size (one channel configuration)
DR900X Plus 182.3MB
DR970X 188.7MB
A139 Pro 437MB

Wow, the A139 Pro is 2.3 times “bigger” (see screenshot).
Footage is identical, looking at the wall.

Attachments

• 1 Minute Data File Size .png
    1 Minute Data File Size .png
    19.5 KB · Views: 15
How do I reset the cameras back to default settings / factory reset?
I've been conversing with Pittasoft support regarding how to reset the dash camera to default firmware settings (globally). The only method I found was running the BlackVue program on Windows/Mac and use the SD Card Viewer to view and reset the firmware settings on a tab-by-tab basis (as I posted earlier).

Pittasoft support was telling me that reloading the dash camera's firmware via loading it on a microSD and booting the dash camera will reset the settings to their defaults. I've never observed that behavior using that method of loading the firmware. After several days of supplying examples that it doesn't work that way, Pittasoft support acknowledged that it will not reset any of the firmware settings when reloading/upgrading the firmware via microSD.

Pittasoft support now states that you must use the BlackVue Windows/Mac program "SD Card Viewer" and navigate to each firmware settings tab and click on "Reset" and at the end click on "Save and close". Move the microSD card back to the dash camera and power it up. The dash camera firmware settings should pickup the changes (default values) from the values stored on the microSD card.

Welcome to my first in a series of posts comparing the image quality of the DR900X Plus-2CH vs. the DR970X-2CH, and the “wild card” A139 Pro (STARVIS 2 IMX678). I have all five camera mounted on a testing rig aimed forward as “equally” as possible. I placed the rig on the roof of my car in the center of my 20ft x 20ft garage. In this post I’ll be testing Low Light capabilities. I have four different brightness levels of light. The first light source is six 4ft LED shop lights mounted to the ceiling of my garage, they are cheap $20 Walmart (5000 Lumen & 5000K color temp). The second light source is an LED Flashlight with 3 brightness levels, (HIGH / MED / LOW) with a diffuser hanging from the ceiling just behind the rig in an attempt to evenly distribute light, (see attached photo). All five test videos were filmed simultaneously.

I start the test with the shop lights on, and the flashlight set to HIGH brightness.
Then I turn off the shop lights, leaving the flashlight illuminated on HIGH.
Then I switch the flashlight to MEDIUM.
Then I switch the flashlight to LOW.
Then I switch the flashlight OFF.
Then I turn the shop lights back on.

Of course this is not any kind of scientific experiment, and I don’t really know what this will accomplish, I’m just curious how the cameras will react, and what kind of low light “noise” I can produce to compare with. I’m more interested to get feedback from you guys, because after watching all these sample videos my eyes go full on Marty Feldman.

After reviewing all 5 videos with 4 different light levels there is one example that jumps out at me, and it’s the difference between the Rear Cameras of both BlackVue’s when the flashlight is on LOW setting. The 900X Plus appears to be much brighter, (see attached screenshots). The other, (and no surprise) is how much better the A139 Pro does than both BlackVue Front cameras.

In the next post I’m planning to perform an HDR License Plate Readability Test. That one should be neat.
-Chuck

Attachments

• DR970X Rear Cam .png
    DR970X Rear Cam .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • DR900X Plus Rear Cam .png
    DR900X Plus Rear Cam .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Test Rig & Flashlight  .jpg
    Test Rig & Flashlight .jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 5
To me it seems the 139 Pro has the better image quality of the 3. Thanks for your efforts, they really helped me decide.

To me it seems the 139 Pro has the better image quality of the 3. Thanks for your efforts, they really helped me decide.
Yo Old Dog,
Thanks for stopping in.
Keep in mind this is a lopsided "apples & oranges" comparison including the A139 Pro with STARVIS 2 sensor.
And of course the A139 Pro is not cloud enabled.
Also, you haven't seen the rest of the image quality experiments I've got lined up.
I have at least one daytime example where both BlackVue's out performed the A139 Pro.
-Chuck

Thats just typical, with dashcams you cant ever get just what you like, even if your wants are quite modest, always a damn compromise to be made.

The good thing is " any dashcam are better than no dashcam "
And any camera will log your own driving 100 % no matter the light level, and that will still fend off many a outrageous claim that can get launched against you, even if 4 guys from the other car say otherwise and you for sure turned into their lane, then you can just whip out your camera that will have you going nice and easy in your lane right until BAM !.
And so they have a problem not you.

In this post I will attempt to compare the Dynamic Range of all 5 cameras trying to read a license plate. The primary light source is the same flashlight as before hanging from the ceiling on HIGH. The secondary light source is a Maglite ML300L flashlight on HIGH setting (approx. 600 Lumen). In order to get a tight beam pattern on the Maglite I made a “telescopic shroud” out of cardboard, (see attached photo).

I’m seeing an improvement of the new DR970X Front Cam over the DR900X Plus Front Cam. However the A139 Pro is better than the DR970X, (no surprise with the IMX678).

When it comes to both BlackVue Rear Cams I’m not seeing any difference when the flashlight illuminates the license plate. However the old DR900X Plus does a better job capturing everything else in the frame, (it looks much brighter). See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Test Rig & Flashlight  .jpg
    Test Rig & Flashlight .jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 10
  • A139 Pro HDR On .png
    A139 Pro HDR On .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • DR900X Plus Front .png
    DR900X Plus Front .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • DR900X Plus Rear .png
    DR900X Plus Rear .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • DR970X Front .png
    DR970X Front .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DR970X Rear  .png
    DR970X Rear .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Aviation Grade Cardboard .jpg
    Aviation Grade Cardboard .jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 9
Yo Old Dog,
Thanks for stopping in.
Keep in mind this is a lopsided "apples & oranges" comparison including the A139 Pro with STARVIS 2 sensor.
And of course the A139 Pro is not cloud enabled.
Also, you haven't seen the rest of the image quality experiments I've got lined up.
I have at least one daytime example where both BlackVue's out performed the A139 Pro.
-Chuck
Anxious to see the images

Here is another Low Light Test inspired by one of my home security camera POV’s, (I disabled the IR “night vison” and recoded a 1 minute clip for comparison).
The home security footage shows the test rig sitting on top of a 6ft ladder.

Under these lighting conditions both Front & Rear cams of the DR900X Plus look better than the DR970X.
Also the rear cam of the DR970X has strange artifacts around the illuminated porch lights, while the rear cam of the DR900X Plus looks almost as good as the A139 Pro.
However none of these dash cams look as good as the dedicated home security camera.

Attachments

• DR900X Plus Front .png
    DR900X Plus Front .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • DR970X Front .png
    DR970X Front .png
    468.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DR900X Plus Rear  .png
    DR900X Plus Rear .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • DR970X Rear .png
    DR970X Rear .png
    645.3 KB · Views: 1
  • A139 Pro .png
    A139 Pro .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Home Security Camera .png
    Home Security Camera .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I hadn't seen this thread before but some guy is doing S&M Bondage photos of dash cams in a garage somewhere !! I've never seen anything like this before. Is this even legal? !!!:smuggrin:
I couldn't figure out how to mount the cameras without using the 3M adhesive, so I resorted to rubber play. lol

I couldn't figure out how to mount the cameras without using the 3M adhesive, so I resorted to rubber play. lol
Rubber play too! With dash cams? It takes all kinds, I guess. :smuggrin:

All seriousness aside Panzer, BlackVue's not going to be too happy about this. They obviously weren't expecting this kind of thing when they sent you the camera. :D

Other than that, another good, thorough and enlightening review so far, PP. :)

All seriousness aside Panzer, BlackVue's not going to be too happy about this. They obviously weren't expecting this kind of thing when they sent you the camera. :D
This is something I've wrestled with ever since I started my YouTube Channel in 2019, and Manufactures, Retailers, and Amazon Sellers would send me products for test & review. My guiding principal has been to provide fact based reviews that are fair to all parties concerned, (manufacturer, retailer, YouTube subscriber / viewer). It also helps that I decided from the start to NOT monetize my YouTube channel, and NOT become an Amazon Affiliate. This means I'm not driven by financial gain from views, clicks, likes, commission sales, etc. Another principle is YouTube is my "retirement hobby" and I just enjoy having fun testing new tech & automotive products.

Usually the products I choose to review are something I really like, and would buy with my own money.
Sometimes after I test a product and it turns out to be sub par, and there is nothing good I could say about the product, and there is no way I could give it a recommendation to my viewers, I send the product back to the manufacturer / retailer. I do not wish to make "negative" reviews bashing a product, I don't think that would be fair to the manufacturer / retailer.

Finally some good news for BlackVue.
In this post I would like to simulate one of the worst lighting conditions I’ve experienced with a dash cam.
And that’s driving directly into the sun during sunrise, and sunset when the sun is at a “low angle”.
I tried to simulate this during the actual hours of sunrise & sunset but, weather conditions were not cooperating.
I was getting too much cloud cover during these times of the day, and it caused a diffused lighting situation, instead of the concentrated sunbeam I was after.
So I decided the next best thing was to film around 2PM, and tilt the testing rig to capture the sun in the high center portion of the image frame.

In an effort to keep testing conditions “baseline” no cameras have CPL Filters installed, (especially since BlackVue does not offer optional CPL’s for the rear cameras).
Also, I figured CPL Filters are for reducing “windshield glare” and since I have the testing rig out in the open not behind a windshield I would not use them for this test.
Another testing note worth mentioning is the first time I performed this test I had the A139 Pro HDR set to “On”.
I discovered setting HDR to “Off” provided the best image quality under these specific lighting conditions.

When comparing the Front BlackVue cameras the first thing I noticed was both lens flares appear to be in almost the same location in frame.
@Mtz should be proud of me for aligning both camera’s horizon line so evenly. Lol
The next thing I noticed is the DR970X Front is overall brighter and is providing more detail of the tree right in front of the camera, as well as the houses across the street.
The next thing I noticed is the DR970X Front is overexposing the sun & clouds.
Overall I think the DR970X looks better than the DR900X Plus.

Now let’s talk about the “What have you done for me lately A139 Pro?”.
It does a good job showing detail of the Sun, and clouds.
But everything else just looks terrible.
Believe me, I filmed a second & third video with HDR “On” and it looked worse.

Now let’s talk about the BlackVue Rear Cameras.
The DR900X Plus Rear looks OK, but it does look a little underexposed, (too dark).
I also do not see any fine detail of the tree right in front of the camera.
The houses across the street look OK, and I can make out the Ford Explorer driving by.
The DR970X Rear looks much brighter.
I’m seeing the fine detail in the tree right in front of the camera, the houses across the street look good, and the Ford Explorer driving by looks better.
However, the sun & clouds are completely overexposed, (way too bright).
Oh yeah the lens flare on both rear cameras are again almost in the same exact spot.
I would like to give myself another attaboy for getting the rear camera horizon line adjustment near identical to each other.

Attachments

• DR970X Front .png
    DR970X Front .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • A139 Pro HDR Off .png
    A139 Pro HDR Off .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • DR900X Plus Rear .png
    DR900X Plus Rear .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • DR970X Rear .png
    DR970X Rear .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • DR900X Plus Front .png
    DR900X Plus Front .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
@Mtz should be proud of me for aligning both camera’s horizon line so evenly.
This is a joke, right?!
There is 80% sky for A139 Pro. One of the worst alignment i've ever seen on you.The comparasion is totally compromised.

This is something I've wrestled with ever since I started my YouTube Channel in 2019, and Manufactures, Retailers, and Amazon Sellers would send me products for test & review. My guiding principal has been to provide fact based reviews that are fair to all parties concerned, (manufacturer, retailer, YouTube subscriber / viewer). It also helps that I decided from the start to NOT monetize my YouTube channel, and NOT become an Amazon Affiliate. This means I'm not driven by financial gain from views, clicks, likes, commission sales, etc. Another principle is YouTube is my "retirement hobby" and I just enjoy having fun testing new tech & automotive products.

Usually the products I choose to review are something I really like, and would buy with my own money.
Sometimes after I test a product and it turns out to be sub par, and there is nothing good I could say about the product, and there is no way I could give it a recommendation to my viewers, I send the product back to the manufacturer / retailer. I do not wish to make "negative" reviews bashing a product, I don't think that would be fair to the manufacturer / retailer.

Well, I was really just joking when I said BlackVue wouldn't be too happy about your torturing one of their cameras with rubber bands on a public forum but I take your point about not monetizing your YouTube channels or becoming an Amazon affiliate. I think you bring a lot of integrity and dedication to what you do and it doesn't go unnoticed.

In contrast, over the years that I've been a member of this forum I've seen far too many reviewers who are more interested in views, subscribers, affiliate clicks and procuring as many free cameras and other merchandise as they can score from manufacturers and in the service of this approach will often downplay or ignore flaws they encounter with cameras when they perform their reviews. They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. Some reviewers simply have no scruples. There is even one long time reviewer and YouTuber here on the forum who at one time was in the habit of copying some of the DIY projects I've posted here and monetizing them on his YouTube channel, even saying in his video one time, "I got this off 'some guy' on DashCamTalk", even though he knows me pretty well. So, now I no longer post my DIY projects to the forum.

As the dash cam market has grown and matured we have all come to appreciate honest, well crafted, technically accurate camera reviews and evaluations. We all benefit from what certain of you guys are doing and I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree that it’s always vital to ensure that if you’re gonna do reviews, you maintain your ethics and don’t let money or free products compromise that. There’s lots of approaches to this.

I’ve found that with free dashcams, for example, it sounds great at first, but the novelty eventually wears off. When you realize how much time and energy it takes to test, share feedback, and produce videos, a free dashcam as compensation sounds comical when you look at things in a dollars per hour sense. It’s a minimal amount of compensation lol.

Then when you start getting bombarded with review requests, you have to turn down almost of them out of sheer practicality.

Unless you have another source of income besides this, you still have to pay the bills and so you gotta find a way to balance making a living testing stuff with maintaining your integrity and not selling your soul in the process.

The choice is always there to be overly positive to get free stuff, for sure, but I think people can see through that. Additionally that may work short term, but if you wanna do this for a living, being a paid shill is a pretty lousy foundation for a business long term, IMO.

It can be a tricky balance and there’s multiple ways to approach all this, but I think it’s important to find a way that works for you regardless. :)

I think you bring a lot of integrity and dedication to what you do and it doesn't go unnoticed.
Your words are too kind. When I make a dash cam review video for my YouTube channel I try to emulate my first dash cam hero "Wham Bam Andrew Lam" from Car Cam Central. lol
He retired from making dash cam content 2 years ago, and I've been missing him ever since. He's the one who got me hooked on Viofo.

Yeah I agree that it’s always vital to ensure that if you’re gonna do reviews, you maintain your ethics and don’t let money or free products compromise that. There’s lots of approaches to this.

I’ve found that with free dashcams, for example, it sounds great at first, but the novelty eventually wears off. When you realize how much time and energy it takes to test, share feedback, and produce videos, a free dashcam as compensation sounds comical when you look at things in a dollars per hour sense. It’s a minimal amount of compensation lol.

Then when you start getting bombarded with review requests, you have to turn down almost of them out of sheer practicality.

Unless you have another source of income besides this, you still have to pay the bills and so you gotta find a way to balance making a living testing stuff with maintaining your integrity and not selling your soul in the process.

The choice is always there to be overly positive to get free stuff, for sure, but I think people can see through that. Additionally that may work short term, but if you wanna do this for a living, being a paid shill is a pretty lousy foundation for a business long term, IMO.

It can be a tricky balance and there’s multiple ways to approach all this, but I think it’s important to find a way that works for you regardless. :)
Well said. You're my current dash cam hero, but Andrew Lam was "my first love" lol
@rcg530 is also my current dash cam hero too.
Ahhh, so much love, and admiration. I'm so glad to be around for this. lol
-Chuck

So far looks like a bust ... meaning if you desire Cloud and LTE then the 970X be okay, apparently Viofo A139 Pro beats the BlackVue 970X on many levels including that Viofo A139 Pro has a better Rear Camera and being more affordable. Possible Firmware update may help the 970X and how about performing IR Imaging for Hot Spots. I'm thinking the 970X will have heat problems just like the A139 Pro. Note: using the Cloud requires a monthly paid subscription making BlackVue even more costly to use. New products often have Bugs to work Out. I hope BlackVue will delay the release dates of their new Dash Cams for the next 3 to 6 months while making some Improvements (utilizing Starvis 2, upgrading the rear camera for 2K "UHD", and better nighttime recording) then market them by mid-Summer.

Back