Drive thru challenge 2016

Thas all we got over here, i think less than 5% of all cars are automatics, and most of those are taxis.

A automatic transmission use to be a extra cost, and cars here are expensive enough as it is with the 200 % tax + 25% sales tax and what not, you get 1 car but pay for 3 :rolleyes:

I'm really missing having a manual car. It's been since 2009 since I had one. My next car will have 3 pedals for sure. I can't get into the CVT transmissions that some cars have. This WRX sounds horrible in my opinion :(

My wife has a hybrid Highlander which has CVT. At least it makes sense in a hybrid, but that's just wrong in a car like a wrx.

Back before my fiancé bought her Genesis Coupe we rented a Altima coupe for the weekend & took it to Lake Tahoe. At the time her daily driver was a 05 Altima 2.5 S with a auto & the Altima coupe made the best of engine down low when driving normal. I found it weird to have no shifts. It was fine with that car & it returned some impressive fuel economy but I'd prefer 3 pedals. I hear Nissan specifically had a lot of issues with the first 2 or 3 versions of the CVT. It kills me that they quit putting a manual in the Maxima after 06. The 2011ish Maxima SE is a pretty nice car but I'd never own one with a CVT :(

I'm really missing having a manual car.... This WRX sounds horrible in my opinion :(

That didn't sound fun at all.
Fun doesn't come from efficiency or even speed. For me it's always been about acceleration, but if that is smoothed out too much by optimised mechanics even that can become boring.

The only argument I thought was valid for automatics was if you are driving around town all day and find working the clutch that much too hard.

But guess what? I've been driving a manual gearbox van around London most days for over a year in stop start traffic and it's not a problem.

I dread the thought of switching to an automatic. I don't think I could stay alert without the need to select the right gear. It forces you to think.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

A manual transmission also makes the 'on/off switch for brake and gas pedals' style of driving difficult. I see so many cars that drive that way. When you get in stop and go traffic, or slow moving traffic that occasionally speeds up, it's funny as hell (But dangerous) to watch these drivers almost rear end the car ahead when traffic slows again. Traffic speeds up a bit? FLOOR IT. OMG!!!!!!!! THEY ARE SLOWING DOWN AGAIN! STAND ON BRAKES!

:)
And they do it not, once, not twice, but every time traffic speeds up temporarily, then slows.
Over and over again.

That didn't sound fun at all.
Fun doesn't come from efficiency or even speed. For me it's always been about acceleration, but if that is smoothed out too much by optimised mechanics even that can become boring.

The only argument I thought was valid for automatics was if you are driving around town all day and find working the clutch that much too hard.

But guess what? I've been driving a manual gearbox van around London most days for over a year in stop start traffic and it's not a problem.

I dread the thought of switching to an automatic. I don't think I could stay alert without the need to select the right gear. It forces you to think.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Me too! For me it's about acceleration with a turbo. After I was introduced to boost in the early 90's I was ruined. Here's me getting up to freeway speed :D

A manual transmission also makes the 'on/off switch for brake and gas pedals' style of driving difficult. I see so many cars that drive that way. When you get in stop and go traffic, or slow moving traffic that occasionally speeds up, it's funny as hell (But dangerous) to watch these drivers almost rear end the car ahead when traffic slows again. Traffic speeds up a bit? FLOOR IT. OMG!!!!!!!! THEY ARE SLOWING DOWN AGAIN! STAND ON BRAKES!

And they do it not, once, not twice, but every time traffic speeds up temporarily, then slows.
Over and over again.
These people are like playing a driving video game with the simple controller on the original Nintendo - all digital, no analog at all. Either on or off, no in between. And apparently my great grandmother drove her 1940s Cadillac that way in small-town Mississippi - floor it up to the 30mph speed limit, coast back to about 20, floor it back to 30, repeat... And apparently stop signs required a screeching halt.

I will say it's super easy to drive smoothly in my wife's cvt hybrid, which is useful on long trips and when the kids have fallen asleep. But yeah I'm much less tempted to even look at my phone while driving my manual transmission truck compared to my wife's auto/CVT.

Me too! For me it's about acceleration with a turbo. After I was introduced to boost in the early 90's I was ruined. Here's me getting up to freeway speed :D

I guess in terms of just straight line acceleration with a turbo, a cvt makes perfect sense since you can keep it right at the perfect rpm for max boost and power output, since you have to get it to spool again after each shift. But in a wrx, supposedly made for rally, where you're constantly on and off the throttle... wrx is moving further and further from its roots. :(

Something I caught in the drive thru a few weeks ago.

Walmart employee driving my car.

At least the person at "DQ" tried :p

For some reason, they won't let my truck into most drive thrus.
:(

You sill have some kids that like to hear the truck horns, though.

More of a walk thru than a drive thru ... I have also posted this elsewhere here but is worth posting in this thread.

More of a walk thru than a drive thru ... I have also posted this elsewhere here but is worth posting in this thread.

Sweet Ute! Looks like a V6 model I'm guessing with those wheels. You're in Australia right? I remember hearing about those mozzies when I was down there a few years back :D

Here's a 2fer that I got by simply parking :oops:

CVT's are pretty good now. I don't mind an old automatic as long as the gear ratios are right, and torque multiplication from the torque converter allows harder launches than with a manual. In something driven for sport I too want a manual, and they have serious advantages off-road. It's been some time since I 'stirred a stick' and given that I've gotten used to left foot braking the transition might take some re-learning.

No dashcam footage but this morning a 'cellular mom' was eating my rear bumper at the drive through. Couldn't have been more than six inches between us and probably less :eek::mad: A rear cam is on the way, hope it arrives before she gets behind me again.

Phil

I caught this one out of the corner of my eye as I was making a tight turn with a green light in Queens, NY today.

The previous make of truck I drove for 6 years had the air horn button mixed in with all the 'crap' on the steering wheel. (Radio controls, hi beam, light blink, cruise control, etc) Like an effing car. :(

The air horn button was the size of a postage stamp, and could rarely find it in a hurry without looking. When kids wanted me to honk they were disappointed I didn't reach up and grab a chain. :)

I usually do not let pedestrians that refuse tu use the zebracrossing go first but...

Back