Driver pulls out in front of bicycle and then brake checks causing the cyclist to hit the car

Its a good example why cyclists call us car drivers CAGERS......;)

Yes the car driver made a mistake but the cyclist could easily have avoided riding into the rear of the car.

At least 3 mistakes, no?
Bikes can't brake as well as cars, especially in panic mode.

Well I drive a car and I ride a bike. When I'm on my bike I ride defensively because of idiot car drivers. The cyclist should have seen that the car driver was going to move to the inside lane because if he had stopped behind the car in front he would have been fined for stopping in the yellow box. Yes the car driver was in the wrong on all counts but the cyclist didn't need to ride into the car, he could have avoided it.

When I'm on my bike I ride defensively...
Does seem to be a particularly aggressive cyclist, more interested in operating his imitation police car siren and swearing on camera than taking defensive action and maintaining a safe distance to the vehicle in front. In fact his excessive groaning after the accident and failure to stop safely left me wondering if it was intentional to get an insurance pay out!

Sure, the car made a mistake. But don't assume they magically see you. The brake check by the car was unnecessary. You are already past him, take it like a man and move on.

But, I find that cyclists with cams mostly act the same. "Don't do anything stupid, because I will use this footage to go to the cops," Sure, I can think of a million situations where my dash-cam can prove my right, but I am not going to look up or force an accident. And the groaning afterwards... as commented before by others... Excessive. I think this guy is going to find worse on his cycling commute if he keeps riding like that.

The cyclist should have seen that the car driver was going to move to the inside lane because if he had stopped behind the car in front he would have been fined for stopping in the yellow box. .

That makes it at least 4 mistakes then....:)
Are you suggesting that the cyclist did something wrong by avoiding hitting the car as it swerved into the bicycle lane?, if so what did he do wrong? other than expressing his frustration?(which is to be expected).
So when a car stops illegally in the yellow box then it should be presumed it will also illegally use bicycle lanes etc? I find this strange especially when there are a lot of cyclists about.

Yes the car driver made a mistake but the cyclist could easily have avoided riding into the rear of the car.

I disagree, the cyclist had no intention of being behind any car at that point as he was about to go in the bicycle lane on the other side of the lights, the car driver instigated this collision by using the bicycle lane to get around traffic, if he was worried about being fined in the yellow box, then wouldn't one be more worried about being also fined for using bicycle lane on top of that?
As the car accelerates away from the cyclist at 13/14seconds the cyclist would not have guessed the car would do what it did and the cyclist was probably standing on the pedals starting to accelerate again and hands firmly on the handlebars away from the brakes(as one does when trying to accelerates hard off traffic lights etc).

Maybe 99% of other cyclists would have avoided hitting this car, this guy made a slight error, but still not his fault IMO.

I think it is extremely hard for the general public to understand cyclists, especially those that ride hard in their commute to work as they use it as a form of fitness, it is hard for the not so fast cyclists/car drivers etc to understand that when made to brake unnecessarily puts you off your rhythm and generally cyclists try to speed up back again before loosing their rhythm.
This cyclist is being labelled aggressive rider/one that doesn't stop safely:confused:/ one that doesn't maintain safe distance, I don't know why, but these don't seem right to me.

This cyclist is being labelled aggressive rider/one that doesn't stop safely:confused:/ one that doesn't maintain safe distance, I don't know why, but these don't seem right to me.
Yes, and he is being described that way by cyclists!

Note that at the time the car starts to change lane the cyclist is in the same lane as the car, they change into the left lane at the same time, I don't see that the car driver was wrong to make the lane change and the imitation police siren is going to worry/confuse/upset almost any road user.

the cyclist was probably standing on the pedals starting to accelerate again and hands firmly on the handlebars away from the brakes(as one does when trying to accelerates hard off traffic lights etc).
This, yes.

I'm a reasonably quick road cyclist. Here's my take:

He's just passed the glasses cyclist with the neon bag, and is moving at the speed of free-flowing traffic.He's at the right of the bike lane because of the car turning left.
Blue car pulls in front, cyclist sounds his siren.
Blue car is moving at a slower speed due to stopped traffic ahead.
I can understand the blue car not seeing the cyclist, because rider was more-or-less behind the blue car.
But the car should have seen the glasses guy-- he would have been just a couple feet behind, almost at the same speed, and yes, visible.
I can understand the cyclist's frustration, because he had to jam on his brakes and lose a bunch of speed (which he worked hard for!).
Cyclist is also frustrated because the blue car will be stuck at the speed of the slow pannier lady cyclist ahead.​
Blue car starts to accelerate to match the pannier lady's speed.
Notice how the blue car is planning to try to squeeze between the pannier lady and the traffic in the next lane? Crazy dangerous move! That's why I try to ride in the middle of the lane! Though her lane position was appropriate, given how many other (faster) cyclists were on the road as well.​
Cyclist is standing on his pedals, fingers holding the hoods (away from the brakes) to get back up to speed again.
Blue car stomps on his brakes, INTENDING TO CAUSE A CRASH or at least make an extremely dangerous situation.
Cyclist is unable to react in time
He can clearly see the traffic in front, and knows there's no road hazard requiring blue car to stop.
He's anticipating incompetence from the blue car, not intentional crashing.
He's standing on the pedals to accelerate.
Reaction time plus time to shift onto the saddle and get his fingers on the brake levers dictate that he can't stop in time.
Because he had to slow down earlier, the glasses guy with the neon backpack has caught up on his left-- cyclist can't swerve left without crashing.​
At this point, the blue car's action is successful-- he caused a crash.

If I were in the same situation, I might have also ended up on the ground.

Should the cyclist have given another couple of feet of following distance behind the crazy blue car? Probably. But he didn't know the blue car's driver was a psycho. I'm glad the driver got what he deserved.

Should the cyclist have given another couple of feet of following distance behind the crazy blue car? Probably. But he didn't know the blue car's driver was a psycho. I'm glad the driver got what he deserved.

was the driver of the blue car startled by the weird horn/siren and not sure what was happening and braked early perhaps?

Quite possibly. Also, the cyclist had time to activate siren again rather than brake. Both have some fault in the collision. The driver for performing unsafe maneuvers and fleeing the accident and the cyclist for being overly aggressive in busy traffic.

KuoH

was the driver of the blue car startled by the weird horn/siren and not sure what was happening and braked early perhaps?

Not likely; it was 5 sec between the time the horn started and when the brake lights came on, and the driver had made other decisions in the meantime-- to try to pass the pannier lady. Plus if it was genuine surprise, he probably would've stopped, wondering what had happened. Instead, he took off without stopping-- he knew what was going on.

He appears to have slowed because the gap in front of him closed up, then he put his foot/feet on both brake and throttle at the same time which is very odd for a manual transmission, I think he may have stopped accidently. Also he may well not of been aware of the cyclist hitting him, the weight of a bike has little effect on a car and the cyclist hit the ground rather than the car.

Keep on defending him fellas. Any more excuses for the car driver?
I'll tell you what, the cyclist doesn't even appear to slow down prior to impact, the footage shows him dipping his head prior to impact (cam is on his helmet) but not making any effort at stopping at all.....so 100% the cyclist is at fault..........

...and apart from anything else, it's also an offence to swear in public. The cyclist should be arrested for that, or at least have a brick put through his spokes :p

I saw this clip on another forum & the title said the driver got a fine (£800?) plus (5?) points.

same as what it says in the original post too ;)
facepalm.jpg

Back