Driving in Bangalore, India

Ajit Krishnamohan

Reaction score
Country
India
Dash Cam
TCL SVC200
Just a short video I took a couple of days ago on my way to work in Bangalore. Uploading to YouTube resulted in a dramatic quality reduction. The raw video is actually much better.

Not as hectic as i would have expected, but like here i guess its a matter of location and the time of day.

Yeah trees are gold, if i owned some land i would have as many trees as possible.
Only keep the imidiate surroundings around house clear, or maybe not, if i got to design my dream house that would not matter the least.

Freaking to think about how much trees was in Denmark at one time, but building a big navy took its toll on trees here and in places that was our back then, but now sovereign states of ther own.

Actually it was not long ago some state forrests had to contact the Danish navy and thell them that the massive ship building trees they ordered a long time ago is now ready for harvest. :D
And what happned to that navy,,,, well the British stole it cuz we sided with a little French guy with ambitions :rolleyes:
No doubt bad kings in our past set the standart for later democratic elected politicians to follow, slowly run it into the ground while you cash in and party like its 1640. :rolleyes:

There are running battles between civic groups and developers, not to mention the so-called "timber mafia" about tree felling. Officially it's illegal to chop a tree without authorization by the forest department but in reality it happens quite a lot. My neighbourhood is one of the lucky ones with good tree cover and an active, influential citizens welfare body who make sure it stays that way. It's upsetting that governments everywhere seem to focus so much on the short term that they ignore most of the really important stuff, quite literally managing to miss the wood AND the trees at the same time.

I like how the median is all solid concrete.
If there is any gap, vehicles will cross everywhere.

I like how the median is all solid concrete.
If there is any gap, vehicles will cross everywhere.

Yup, sometimes even this isn't enough to stop people walking across, lifting bikes over and so on, and they have to build a fence about 4ft high :)

my favorite part of the video was all the big old trees. i love driving tree-lined roads. around here, they clear-cut everything before they build, and that makes me sad.

In that case, here's another one. Bangalore is known as the garden city and though it's lost a lot of greenery to construction over the past couple of decades it's still not too badly off compared with some other cities in India. This time I used the 1080p / 25fps mode. The original video looks better than the YouTube version though.

Also spotted a Streetview car. Not sure if it's Google or some other local company.streetview.jpg

There are some areas of Houston where trees have grown backbut not very many. I grew up in an area called Kingwood, which had a slogan of "The livable forest". They made a point to keep existing trees when building homes. Lately though, the trend is for builders to buy farmland that's already clear and just throw up a thousand cookie cutter homes in one square mile. Then plant one tiny little tree in the front yard that might grow into something nice in 30 years.

Wow! That seems rather tame. I think I posted this here before. I took it about 20 years ago before dash cams.

Tim

Oh yeah I remember that. Back when I learnt to drive most highways were like that. At least the major ones are now 6 or 8 lane and dual carriageway so that makes things a little easier (if less interesting :)). Don't see too many Ambassadors nowadays either. Gone the way of the dinosaurs in Bangalore at least.

There are some areas of Houston where trees have grown backbut not very many. I grew up in an area called Kingwood, which had a slogan of "The livable forest". They made a point to keep existing trees when building homes. Lately though, the trend is for builders to buy farmland that's already clear and just throw up a thousand cookie cutter homes in one square mile. Then plant one tiny little tree in the front yard that might grow into something nice in 30 years.

Co-incidentally I was on another forum yesterday (expeditionportal) where someone mentioned they lived in Kingwood.

Good example of why auto-rickshaws are so popular in Bangalore - (Hint: they really aren't)

Three valet attendants attempt to extract my car from basement parking at a Bangalore mall:

I would bring a hummer erly in the morning, and then ask for it when the place filled up, that got to yeald some funny footage.

Back