Dual cameras question

Abel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, this might be a stupid question and if so I apologize.

I decided I want a dash cam, one with dual cameras. I looked up video from dual cameras suggested on the site and found that the front camera records in front of the car (obviously) while the back camera records behind the car (although most people seem to only upload the front video).

My question is, do dual cameras just record front and behind? I was thinking that a dual camera would record out the windshield while also recording inside the car.

I would prefer to have the inside of the car recorded instead because I feel like recording things like traffic stops would be more important than recording everything behind me in case I get rear ended and need to prove it for whatever reason.

If anybody knows a type of dual camera that doesn't need to record behind the car, and instead either automatically records the inside or at least can be can bet set up to do that please let me know

you can put any camera anywhere you want, really. as long as it sticks on the surface and you can route power to it.

Any dual channel dashcam system can be used for your required purpose. You just need to mount rear recording camera not on read windows, but somewhere close to RVmirror facing inside car ( looking back ).

i have a cam mounted on my dashboard recording inside my car, any 2 channel/dual cam dashcam would be possible to use for your purpose.

For that purpose, I would look at one of the rear view mirror cams with two channels. One camera forward and the other spun around into the cabin.

Hello everyone, this might be a stupid question and if so I apologize.

I decided I want a dash cam, one with dual cameras. I looked up video from dual cameras suggested on the site and found that the front camera records in front of the car (obviously) while the back camera records behind the car (although most people seem to only upload the front video).

My question is, do dual cameras just record front and behind? I was thinking that a dual camera would record out the windshield while also recording inside the car.

I would prefer to have the inside of the car recorded instead because I feel like recording things like traffic stops would be more important than recording everything behind me in case I get rear ended and need to prove it for whatever reason.

If anybody knows a type of dual camera that doesn't need to record behind the car, and instead either automatically records the inside or at least can be can bet set up to do that please let me know
The term "dual cameras" generally refers to two separate units that are usually connected to each other by an USB cable. What you're looking for is a dual lens camera, i.e two lenses in the same unit, one facing forward and another facing the interior of the car.
There are several models of these cameras out there, like, for instance, the X3000 http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...060084818.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.12.FXXfhP.

Last edited:
You sound as though you are expecting the law to be a bit naughty if ever they pull you over?
If this is the case, maybe you should consider something a bit more stealthy? If they are going to be a bit naughty, they might see a twin lens cam stuck to your windscreen & decide they need to confiscate it for reasons of national bullplop.

So, can I suggest something like a mobius with the 8" lens extension so the body can be concealed whilst the lens is just visible to record the inside of the car - maybe tuck the unit behind the trim on the passenger side above the seatbelt shoulder area?
And you should also do the same with the camera(s) you are using to record outside the vehicle.
I know this means a 3 camera solution with 3 SD cards - but you'll only ever need to remove all 3... hopefully never but maybe once. Even the times when you'd need to remove two cards will be (hopefully) few. I've got hundreds of clips but less than a handfull involve the rear cam as well.
Although there are options for having two lenses in the one unit, sod's law dictates that something is bound to go wrong at the very moment you don't want it to. Having three independant cams will allow for redundancy. Even if one or even two cams fail at the same time (unlikely), you'll still have the third to record audio

Back