E1 Lite Video Transfer Speed

gpi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi
I just installed this dashcam and do like the form factor.
When transferring each video over wifi to my phone (75MB), it take 3.5 minutes.
So 10 videos will take 35 minutes? That seems like a lot of time.
I have another dashcam (different company) and their videos (105MB) take less than a minute to transfer. I have the same micro SD card in both units.
The phone is 1 foot away from the dashcam.
Is this normal for the E1 ?
I reached out to support, and just waiting for their reply.
Thanks

Is the E1 Lite using 2.4GHz and the other cam using 5GHz? Can you select 5GHz on the E1 Lite?

Last edited:
The E1 Lite only supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. I'll be testing both the E1 and E1 Lite dash cameras in my next dash camera review series. I ran a test of downloading a 77.1 MB video file from one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras I have to my Android 10 tablet and it was very slow. The stability of the Wi-Fi connection was a bit rocky at first. I had to reboot the E1 Lite after the Wi-Fi connection dropped and would not restart successfully (would not show up on my Android 10 tablet's SSID list). After connecting the second time, I was able to get the file downloaded (after I paused the really slow playback of the video). It took 2 minutes 35 seconds to download the 77.1 MB file. I'll be testing more things like this when I get to performing my review testing steps in the next couple of weeks.

1673195248679.png

I just ran a download test with an E1 Lite (firmware EBI301) and a VIOFO T130 3CH. Both have 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connections.

E1 Lite

77.1 MB => 2:07 (127 seconds) = 0.607 MB / second
71.5 MB => 2:09 (129 seconds) = 0.554 MB / second

VIOFO T130 2.4 GHz

73.47 MB => 0:33 (33 seconds) = 2.226 MB / second
73.47 MB => 0:37 (37 seconds) = 1.985 MB / second

I sent my findings to Vantrue to see if they can improve/fix the E1 Lite (and likely the E1) slow file transfer speeds.

That is indeed old school slow, the E2 using 5 GHZ give much better speeds.
Here i am DLing a 330 MB 3 minute file.

Fast 5 GHZ wifi or not, at home in my card reader i get 60 - 70 MB/s at least.

BUT ! i acknowledge that there are now many people that do not have a home PC as they do everything with their phones.

Just tested on the PC it take me 5 seconds to DL a 330 MB file from the E2 footage on a memory card.
As i recall the above wifi test on the E2 is 30 seconds to DL the same file size,,,,,, so 5 seconds = A LOT faster

Last edited:
Vantrue had me test again with my Android tablet right next to / under the E1 Lite dash camera. The transfer times decreased from just over two minutes down to 50 seconds. As soon as I move the Android tablet 12 inches away from the E1 Lite, the transfer speed dramatically drops again. It looks like the E1 Lite has a fairly weak Wi-Fi signal. Vantrue is checking into the issue.

I just ran a download test with an E1 Lite (firmware EBI301) and a VIOFO T130 3CH. Both have 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connections.

E1 Lite

77.1 MB => 2:07 (127 seconds) = 0.607 MB / second
71.5 MB => 2:09 (129 seconds) = 0.554 MB / second

VIOFO T130 2.4 GHz

73.47 MB => 0:33 (33 seconds) = 2.226 MB / second
73.47 MB => 0:37 (37 seconds) = 1.985 MB / second

I sent my findings to Vantrue to see if they can improve/fix the E1 Lite (and likely the E1) slow file transfer speeds.
Thank-you for the above testing.

Vantrue stated they could not reproduce the issue with their E1 Lite dash cams. I tested mine again and it was still slow. I then tested the second E1 Lite dash cam I have and it was able to download the files very fast in the same exact Wi-Fi / client test conditions. Here's the info I sent to Vantrue this afternoon.
---

I ran a series of tests today to see if the problem with the download speed was due to a camera specific or a general E1 Lite problem.

In my situation, it appears one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras I have has a Wi-Fi system problem. The E1 Lite with an id of c4e4 has a slow and short distance Wi-Fi subsystem while the E1 Lite with an id of c4a4 works well. I had only one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras powered up at a time and the location of the E1 Lite and the client devices was as stated in the testing spreadsheet.

I tried swapping the Vantrue 128GB from the c4e4 (slow device) to the c4a4 (fast device) and the transfer speeds were still quick. The problem appears to be camera specific.

There’s also what I would call a bug in the way the file sizes are reported in the iOS vs Android Vantrue apps for the files on the microSD card.

In my spreadsheet data, you’ll see the size reported in the iOS Vantrue app is “correct” divisions by 1024 were used to convert bytes to MB. The Android app is using divisions by 1000 instead of 1024. I believe the Android app has a bug in that area and should be changed to show the same value as in the iOS app.

1673579215557.png

Here are test findings:

1673579151230.png

Vantrue stated they could not reproduce the issue with their E1 Lite dash cams. I tested mine again and it was still slow. I then tested the second E1 Lite dash cam I have and it was able to download the files very fast in the same exact Wi-Fi / client test conditions. Here's the info I sent to Vantrue this afternoon.
---

I ran a series of tests today to see if the problem with the download speed was due to a camera specific or a general E1 Lite problem.

In my situation, it appears one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras I have has a Wi-Fi system problem. The E1 Lite with an id of c4e4 has a slow and short distance Wi-Fi subsystem while the E1 Lite with an id of c4a4 works well. I had only one of the two E1 Lite dash cameras powered up at a time and the location of the E1 Lite and the client devices was as stated in the testing spreadsheet.

I tried swapping the Vantrue 128GB from the c4e4 (slow device) to the c4a4 (fast device) and the transfer speeds were still quick. The problem appears to be camera specific.

There’s also what I would call a bug in the way the file sizes are reported in the iOS vs Android Vantrue apps for the files on the microSD card.

In my spreadsheet data, you’ll see the size reported in the iOS Vantrue app is “correct” divisions by 1024 were used to convert bytes to MB. The Android app is using divisions by 1000 instead of 1024. I believe the Android app has a bug in that area and should be changed to show the same value as in the iOS app.

View attachment 63619

Here are test findings:

View attachment 63618
Thank you again for the above testing.
Very much appreciated.

It looks like Vantrue wants me to send the E1 Lite (c4e4 in my test data) back to Vantrue so their engineers can take a look at why that unit is so slow and/or has a weak Wi-Fi signal.

Back