Eeyelog HDW001

Any news on this cam or its sucessors? I find alibaba and the chinese market very confusing ... lots of contradicting information on availability, modelnames, abilities... but it seems in theory, the Ambarella A5S30 is a decent chip combined with an ok sensor/lens? I foudn this cam interesting ... good design, good specs, affordable. Also, where do you buy those? If I message Carrie on here, I'm told that they're factory and only sell to distribuors, not private end users.

I'm debating between waiting for a version of this cam or buying a readily available GS8000 or GS9000.

I like the mount, full size SD card support and of course the newer processor. Is it worth waiting for a reliable source?

Eh? Does that mean Ambarella itself is not convinced with their A5 chipset and ditches the product?

voon said:
Eh? Does that mean Ambarella itself is not convinced with their A5 chipset and ditches the product?

There's been problems with the A5 and it is end of life now, A2 will continue, A7 has dropped in price enough that the A5 wouldn't even be considered anyway, A7 is far more capable and you should start to see A7 based cams much sooner than previously expected

I see ... A7 would be really nice, because it can do a lot of FPS, combined iwth a good WDR sensor ... which make a dashcam ideal also for activity stuff. I'm unhappy with image quality on most dashes ... they very often overexpose sky, which I want to be decent blue etc, I need something, that knows how to do that perfectly, as i want to use it as Tourcam in the mountains, where you get bright light very often. Same for night, I really dislike overexposed lights of nearly all dashcams. The V747W does that quite well, though. So. still waiting for the advanced cam for the western market - at asian prices :)

I think we'll see a lot of progress this year thanks to the accelerated uptake of the A7, hopefully I'll have our first engineering sample based on the A7 in around 6 weeks, really looking forward to it as its a big step up

voon said:
they very often overexpose sky, which I want to be decent blue etc
The blue sky is the most not interesting thing on our recordings. We are not Discovery Channel to show the nature in its beauty. I see some cameras with some nice blue sky but recording so bad and some cameras which are recording clear but the sky is grey-white.
Until now to easy detect a good camera also in night mode I am looking first to the sky. When I see it blue I expect bad things like macroblocks.

enjoy,
Mtz

jokiin said:
I think we'll see a lot of progress this year thanks to the accelerated uptake of the A7, hopefully I'll have our first engineering sample based on the A7 in around 6 weeks, really looking forward to it as its a big step up

Does it have enough power to do postprocessing denoising etc? That sounds really interesting, since I saw those 3D-DNR images ... especially along with the WDR sensor. That would maybe keep costs down a bit, if there's no need for another postprocessign chip?

Not sure about the post processing but over 3 times more powerful than the A2 and a whole lot more capable, going to meet with Ambarella next week and will know more about what we can do with it after that

Sounds interesting ... I'd love to hear what they told you :) Btw, does the chinese (cheapo) marked provide reliable WDR sensors of sensible quality? Or do cam makers have to go to known producers of sensors (like sony, nikon, canon etc) for this?

There a few different suppliers, some names you'd be familiar with and some you wouldn't know, not too many that make decent product though

voon said:
jokiin said:

Does it have enough power to do postprocessing denoising etc? That sounds really interesting, since I saw those 3D-DNR images ... especially along with the WDR sensor. That would maybe keep costs down a bit, if there's no need for another postprocessign chip?
Which A7 we talkng about ?
A7, A7L or A7L-A. All A7 have support for Motion Compensated Temporal Filtering (MCTF), but only A7L-A has Wide Dynamic Range (WDR)...

A7L-A? The Ambarella Website only talks about A7 and A7L ... and for the A7/L, the spec sheet says:

"and High Dynamic Range (HDR) processing"

So what's an A7L-A? And what do they mean by HDR processing? Is that with a high read out sensor and they read two frames per one picture, to form a 30 fps HDR video or what?

The A7L-A was released Jan this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys! greetings from Colombia!
Dashcams are nowhere to be seen in my country, not even in public transport.
However I'm planning to buy a WI-FI enabled Dashcam and this model tops my list.
I just have a question regarding it's wireless capabilities.
Could this camera stream be recorded by a third party app, lets say an IP camera monitor? or it just works with the propietary app?
Thanks a lot for your help!

I don't think they're interested in selling to the retail market. They appear to to be wholesale only.
I also tried to contact them many months ago and never got a reply.

I don't think they're interested in selling to the retail market. They appear to to be wholesale only.
I also tried to contact them many months ago and never got a reply.

I can't find a retailer either..

Back