F750 motion sensitivity

raoul

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey everyone!

I have my Thinkware F750 + rear cam hardwired in my 2015 Subaru Outback. It runs very well except for parking mode which is very sensitive.

For example, with Parking Incident enabled, closing the doors with a bit too much force will activate recording. Also with Parking Motion enabled, if I'm parked on the street and a car drives past, recording will activate. Both of these examples happen with sensitivity set to minimum (slider to the left) on both settings. As a result I don't use Parking Motion, which sort of defeats one half of the whole point of parking mode.

Is any one else seeing this high level of sensitivity even when set to lowest?

That would be the expected result, less sensitive than that and it would be useless, parking mode is a flawed application at the best of times though anyway

Sorry, I don't accept that's intended. Particularly for motion when set to the lowest sensitivity. A passing car in a narrow street doing 30km/h?

What is motion detection if not.....motion detection. Sometimes damage can be done by a passer who throws something the initial motion can trigger an incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Any setting which ignores a car passing would be useless.
Similarly with closing the door. If you think about it, if someone hit your car with the same force as slamming the door, you'd want that recorded wouldn't you?
I have my parking mode on medium sensitivity for motion and max for shock, and just accept that most of the time slamming the doors will trigger it.

I agree. Any setting which ignores a car passing would be useless.
Similarly with closing the door. If you think about it, if someone hit your car with the same force as slamming the door, you'd want that recorded wouldn't you?
I have my parking mode on medium sensitivity for motion and max for shock, and just accept that most of the time slamming the doors will trigger it.

^this

Closing your door and a car driving by on the street ought to be picked up as motion in my opinion.
The fact that OP would turn off parking mode recording because he doesn't want to deal with false "events" like his own door closing is so mind boggling!

Thinkware recommend the Parking Shock detection to be set so it picks you up closing a door normally. As for the motion detection it is sensitive and you will get many many recordings that's the nature of movement detection i'm afraid. Leaves blowing up the road, trees moving in the background, cats & dogs walking past the list goes on all cause change in the pixels which is basically what the camera is monitoring. I had a play with the motion sensitivity on my F750 once. On max it picked up someone crossing the road about 25m away. On minimum it would pick someone crossing the road at 5 metres max.

I would like there to be at least one and maybe two extra levels of sensitivity in the settings ranges to allow users to have a better 'fine-tuning' to their personal preference. I wonder if the F770 is better in this regard?

I haven't had a proper play with the F770 as yet. Thinkware brought a demo unit when we did the Gadget show @ the NEC and a real one for the Commercial Vehicle show but we didnt have a chance to play. I am looking forward to getting my hands on one though!

I have the F770 and my experience with parking mode so far sounds similar to what has been described here--motion detection is sensitive. My camera is picking up the reflection in a window of cars passing behind mine. The sticking point for me is that the parking mode partition space on the memory card is so small as to be useless if/when motion detection is so frequently activated. I am just crossing my fingers that the G sensor will pick up the slack when I need it to--mostly when another car's door hits mine. With my SG cam (SGZC12SG) the G sensor isn't activating in that situation so I have had to sift through the the whole video folder for the incident that caused damage to my car. Maybe it will be different with the F770.

I have the F770 and my experience with parking mode so far sounds similar to what has been described here--motion detection is sensitive. My camera is picking up the reflection in a window of cars passing behind mine. The sticking point for me is that the parking mode partition space on the memory card is so small as to be useless if/when motion detection is so frequently activated. I am just crossing my fingers that the G sensor will pick up the slack when I need it to--mostly when another car's door hits mine. With my SG cam (SGZC12SG) the G sensor isn't activating in that situation so I have had to sift through the the whole video folder for the incident that caused damage to my car. Maybe it will be different with the F770.
You can change the partition size to a degree, i think 'C' gives more parking mode storage. Also why not turn on 'Time Lapse' parking recording? I know it will record everything then but it sounds like you basically are anyway at least this way at 1 frame per second it's a lot smaller file size and you can view 30 minutes of footage in 2 mins on playback.

Back