F770 Supercap replacement

HifiGuy112

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my F770 RTC battery died recently and I went through the hassle of opening it up and soldering on a new one. I also noticed one of the supercaps busted open. I'm an idiot and already put it back together without recording any part number for the supercap. Does anyone know the part number I need to order? Also what's all the discoloration on the board near the busted cap - is that anything to worry about and is there anything I should do to address it?

Also how do you get the top board separated from the bottom board? Just pull it apart? I pulled lightly and it didn't budge...didn't pull harder because I didn't want to force it and break something when I was able to replace the battery without separating first...but I'm not sure I'll have that luxury with the supercap swap?

Thanks!
busted supercap.jpg

Once the 'PCB's' are out of the camera shell they do just pull apart, it's just some Push connectors joining the 2 boards together. I've never come across a blown Cap like that in one, i suspect the other marks are from that too. If you have some Contact Cleaner i would give it a squirt and a wipe, otherwise perhaps a bit of Alcohol Hand Gel on a tissue to give it a wipe over.

Not convinced that is actually broken, they should bust from the other end, this may just be untidy manufacturing. I wouldn't bother changing that unless it is not actually working, and if you do change it, you should change both.

Not convinced that is actually broken, they should bust from the other end, this may just be untidy manufacturing. I wouldn't bother changing that unless it is not actually working, and if you do change it, you should change both.

To me it does look like the cap has cracked open and spilled some of it guts. Have a look at the plastic wrap on the right hand side, looks frayed as if split open.

The black gunk might be the liquid from inside the cap and should be cleaned off as it is corrosive and will eat through the copper tracks if left.

When you do take the board out make sure you also look in the back of the board for any other potential liquid spill that you also need to clean.

awesome thanks for the replies...anyone happen to know the part number to order replacement supercaps?

Back