(Fake 0801) $30-$44 USD? 1080P Novatek CPU 1.5" Car DVR Camera GS608 + 120 Wide Angle + G-senser

Eg... http://bit.ly/17CEJ6r

How does one know beside price and feedback that this is fake?

Oh and this is not the dvr I want ... Just example only.

Regards
Duke

few things worth noting

GS8000L (L version means it's the cheap Novatek solution)
GS8000 is not a great product to start with
$30 price will not but you any real 1080p camera in today's market

But will it be a real 720p? From the feedback it looks to be 480p upscaled to 1080p

Regards
Duke

it's rubbish, real 720p or not, a good 720p camera still costs close to $100, obviously for the same sort of money you have some other options in 1080p cameras though

But will it be a real 720p? From the feedback it looks to be 480p upscaled to 1080p

Regards
Duke

You can buy, test and share your thought, or you can write to seller and see what he say, but most sellers dont know them-self.

it's rubbish, real 720p or not, a good 720p camera still costs close to $100, obviously for the same sort of money you have some other options in 1080p cameras though

" it's too good to be true" ,
"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is" ;)

So is the novatek mini 0801 really 1080p or really 720p quality video or something else?

Regards
Duke

There's only an interpolated version with Novatek solution now, I know another factory was doing a 96650 + AR0330 version which is the only decent Novatek solution, I don't believe its ready yet, it would be dearer though I'm sure

These copy 0801 versions have a very crappy mount design also which really doesn't work for this design

So tempted to cut and shape plastic bits and screws it on so can just use the real mount one.

So if set at 720p would it still be interpolated for that model?

Regards
Duke

So tempted to cut and shape plastic bits and screws it on so can just use the real mount one.

So if set at 720p would it still be interpolated for that model?

Regards
Duke

Resolution is not the main factor.
Very important are ALSO:
- CMOS Sensor
- CPU / Protsessor
- Firmware
etc.

For example Livue LB100 720p can outperform many cheap chinese 1080p.

My advice is stay away from that copy model and if you have limited budget, then best nearest to this is G1W ( 52usd )

Thanks niko,
Was hoping for smaller size like the mini or the a8 one with no screen. Happy with 720p as long as it is true 720p. Any suggestions? No need gps.

Regards
Duke

Thanks niko,
Was hoping for smaller size like the mini or the a8 one with no screen. Happy with 720p as long as it is true 720p. Any suggestions? No need gps.

Regards
Duke

I am afraid you did not get the point. Resolution is "almost" nothing to do with how dash camera will perform and how good / bad will be video quality ( read my previous post ).

Mobius is my favourite smallest dashcamera. Look into Mobius thread and you will find a lot of interesting info there.

Or this one, but it not yet tested, just released: D33 Super Mini

Last edited by a moderator:
i suppose Duke want to know how to identify the active 720P device to avoid cheating, not about price. (anyway, the seller can mark the 720P fake one to be $100 to get huge margin.)

As I know, the fake Mini 0801 is using NT96220 chip which do not support H.264 video compression which can be a breakthrough. But this will fail if they exchange to NT96632 chip.
  • 1, appearance difference. please look close into the two models then you will get something;
  • 2, current Mini 0801 output MOV videos, fake NT96220/NT96632 version output AVI;
  • 3, check the "media properties" in your player, there is one tab named "video code" (or "input format"), if it showing "MJPEG" or "M-JPEG", congratulations you got a chance to complain and ask for compensation. If you got "AVC1", please celebrate as you got a original Mini 0801. (please notice this will be invalid on NT96632) (personally i think they will not make a NT96632 version for cost reason. they can cost a little more to build 1080P one base on NT96650 which is used in G1W. NT96632 only take really few market. Novatek may lost confidence on that chip.)

i suppose Duke want to know how to identify the active 720P device to avoid cheating, not about price. (anyway, the seller can mark the 720P fake one to be $100 to get huge margin.)

As I know, the fake Mini 0801 is using NT96220 chip which do not support H.264 video compression which can be a breakthrough. But this will fail if they exchange to NT96632 chip.
  • 1, appearance difference. please look close into the two models then you will get something;
  • 2, current Mini 0801 output MOV videos, fake NT96220/NT96632 version output AVI;
  • 3, check the "media properties" in your player, there is one tab named "video code" (or "input format"), if it showing "MJPEG" or "M-JPEG", congratulations you got a chance to complain and ask for compensation. If you got "AVC1", please celebrate as you got a original Mini 0801. (please notice this will be invalid on NT96632) (personally i think they will not make a NT96632 version for cost reason. they can cost a little more to build 1080P one base on NT96650 which is used in G1W. NT96632 only take really few market. Novatek may lost confidence on that chip.)

Everything can be checked WHEN / IF unit is in hand ( but it can be too late ). How "Duke" ( or any other person who reads this forum ) can be sure about unit properties and performance if he just look into data provided on the website ? , - only by reading this ( or similar ) forum advices from more experienced forum members, honest retailers / vendors / manufacturers ;)

If the Fake mini can do true 720 instead of the upscaled 1080p and the price shows that than have no problem and can accept but if it is 480p or worse than not happy.
But yeah what you guys said the advertiser can put any description and price and you won't know till you get it.

Regards
Duke

The ONLY Novatek DashCam you should even remotely entertain are ones with NT96650
This fake 0801 is not even that. It might claim it does 720P 30FPS, but using MJPEG AVI is always total garbage compared to other more modern H.264 MP4/MOV options
Don't fool yourself thinking these low end cams are "good enough". The wasted time and frustration alone are worth the extra $20-$40 to upgrade to the next level. (not to mention a missed / botched or blurry capture of an important event)

Back